343i needs dedicated servers?

I keep seeing people post about 343i getting dedicated servers and I do not understand why someone would think they do not have dedicated servers for matchmaking. Do you think their exchange and sequel server are running matchmaking games lol. Most likely its a huge virtualized farm with 1000’s of virtual servers running on fiber channel SAN’s. I dont seen how else they could cater to the population. So please someone enlighten me to what you mean by “they need dedicated servers and its never going to happen”

You telling me 343/Microshaft can’t run a server farm when DICE/EA can do it?

No I am asking why people keep commenting about needing dedicated servers. They have to already have dedicated servers. I am wondering if 343i made a post somewhere about matchmaking and thier server setup to lead people to the conclusion that they do not have dedicated servers.

They have MM/Stat servers…

Not near as costly as dedicated game servers.

Your comment doesnt make sense. If they have a server that only runs matchmaking, then it is a dedicated server to matchmaking. Meaning its not a multipurposed server. Its a dedicated server.

Usually dedicated servers require you to stick within a certain area or selecting a certain area to play within and that is probably the biggest reason I believe we don’t have dedicated servers.

If we did, anyone outside the US would literally have no one to play with. It would be like playing with the population that is currently in Halo 3. Quite possible the US servers could be split into two separate populations, East & West.

> Usually dedicated servers require you to stick within a certain area or selecting a certain area to play within and that is probably the biggest reason I believe we don’t have dedicated servers.
>
> If we did, anyone outside the US would literally have no one to play with. It would be like playing with the population that is currently in Halo 3. Quite possible the US servers could be split into two separate populations, East & West.

Wrong.

BF3 has dedicated servers. I live in a place with probably just a few hundred BF3 players. I can play with thousands of others.

I want Dedi servers, because that means we can host custom lobbies as servers.

As a network admin…dedicated servers, are heavily expensive. From my experience, if 343i were to purchase dedicated servers, they would have to pay an additional $2,000, if im not correct, to have administrators, not mods, managing those specified servers. I don’t work with dedicated game servers, but prices vary.

> > Usually dedicated servers require you to stick within a certain area or selecting a certain area to play within and that is probably the biggest reason I believe we don’t have dedicated servers.
> >
> > If we did, anyone outside the US would literally have no one to play with. It would be like playing with the population that is currently in Halo 3. Quite possible the US servers could be split into two separate populations, East & West.
>
> Wrong.
>
> BF3 has dedicated servers. I live in a place with probably just a few hundred BF3 players. I can play with thousands of others.
>
> I want Dedi servers, because that means we can host custom lobbies as servers.

Sigh. Dedicated servers dont confine to a very small area. Take Diablo 2 for example. Its servers were split up in US East & US West. Thats half of a country, obviously more than a couple hundred. Also take note of the USUALLY at the beginning of the sentence. One dedicated server can only handle so much traffic (hence why World of Warcraft only allows so much of a population on one server), since Halo 4 has such low populations compared to multi platform games it would either, split the community up to much or we would have people pinging from everywhere much like we do now.

When you talk about dedicated servers, you don’t do this for one of the most popular games on the market (well at one time it was). Trying to cover the spikes from launch to now would have costed 343 thousands of dollars. They needed enough servers to cover 2 Million players at launch and now they only need to handle 150K at a high spike, they would have server racks just sitting idle costing themselves money.

Halo does not and will never need dedicated servers. Find locals and put together a LAN (if you’re to worried about lag), I know the Internet has removes most human interaction capabilities on this younger generation but try it sometime! I have put together many LANs, they are a freaking blast and it’s easy to find people in your area, POST SOMETHING ON CRAIGSLIST!

> When you talk about dedicated servers, you don’t do this for one of the most popular games on the market (well at one time it was). Trying to cover the spikes from launch to now would have costed 343 thousands of dollars. They needed enough servers to cover 2 Million players at launch and now they only need to handle 150K at a high spike, they would have server racks just sitting idle costing themselves money.
>
> Halo does not and will never need dedicated servers. Find locals and put together a LAN (if you’re to worried about lag), I know the Internet has removes most human interaction capabilities on this younger generation but try it sometime! I have put together many LANs, they are a freaking blast and it’s easy to find people in your area, POST SOMETHING ON CRAIGSLIST!

Not all of us live in the USA, where there is a large and active Halo community. I am the only Halo 4 player I know of IRL in my area, who isn’t 13 years old, it’s all CoD. Also, especially here in the UK, we simply do not have the facilities. LAN centres? If only…

Also, OP has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about. Waypoint servers =/= matchmaking servers. Halo 4 is peer-to-peer hosted, the only “servers” involved are for stat tracking and the initial matchmaking/player search. Once a game is found, host is selected from one of the players in that game.

> Your comment doesnt make sense. If they have a server that only runs matchmaking, then it is a dedicated server to matchmaking. Meaning its not a multipurposed server. Its a dedicated server.

They have MM servers as in playlist/stat servers, servers that match the parties/players… not the gameplay as was just stated in the above post…

If EA/DICE can run servers for Battlefield, Microsoft can surely do such for its flagship title.

Ok so when you guys say dedicated servers you do not mean a physical server you mean servers dedicataed to a certain geography. I have been selling servers and storage for over 9 years for Dell and just didnt understand what you guys meant by the term “dedicated servers”

I just want the game to stop pausing and going to a loading screen when someone quits. Why is Halo the only online game that happens to?

> Ok so when you guys say dedicated servers you do not mean a physical server you mean servers dedicataed to a certain geography. I have been selling servers and storage for over 9 years for Dell and just didnt understand what you guys meant by the term “dedicated servers”

No. What people are referring to is a server that is dedicated to the hosting of an online game, nothing else. Location is irrelevant, I could happily connect to a US server, although would suffer high ping because of it.

In the current system, games are hosted by one of the players in the game, which is what causes the black-screen when the host quits, as the system then has to pass hosting duties over to another player, as well as other issues if players are located over a wide geographical area. There are also other problems with peer-to-peer hosting, such as host advantage (see Gears of War, or any UE3 game). With dedicated servers, this does not happen, as each of the client Xboxes is free to run that client alone, without the extra load of hosting. Dedicated servers can also help reduce latency issues, as you only have to worry about connecting to that one server, and not everyone else in the game, since the server does most of the heavy lifting.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_server

For someone who supposedly is an expert, you show an incredible lack of basic knowledge…

> > Ok so when you guys say dedicated servers you do not mean a physical server you mean servers dedicataed to a certain geography. I have been selling servers and storage for over 9 years for Dell and just didnt understand what you guys meant by the term “dedicated servers”
>
> No. What people are referring to is a server that is dedicated to the hosting of an online game, nothing else. Location is irrelevant, I could happily connect to a US server, although would suffer high ping because of it.
>
> In the current system, games are hosted by one of the players in the game, which is what causes the black-screen when the host quits, as the system then has to pass hosting duties over to another player, as well as other issues if players are located over a wide geographical area. There are also other problems with peer-to-peer hosting, such as host advantage (see Gears of War, or any UE3 game). With dedicated servers, this does not happen, as each of the client Xboxes is free to run that client alone, without the extra load of hosting. Dedicated servers can also help reduce latency issues, as you only have to worry about connecting to that one server, and not everyone else in the game, since the server does most of the heavy lifting.
>
> See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_server
>
> For someone who supposedly is an expert, you show an incredible lack of basic knowledge…

Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for then insulting me. Just because I sell hardware does not mean I understand the software ran on that server and or how they are networked. I have no clue what software 343i runs or how its managed. There are literally 1000’s of different ways to do it. A ton of people use the term dedicated servers and I know the majority of them know nothing of networking. So i was hoping someone could clear it up, which you did, but your kind of an -Yoink-

^ Yes, I am.

And it’s YOU’RE, not YOUR.

I’ll be here all week =)

I know Blake has already cleared some of the issues up, but I don’t think the OP actually understands what we mean by “dedicated” servers…
At the minute, 343i, along with several other companies, including Treyarch and Infinity Ward from CoD, utilize the P2P (Peer 2 Peer or Player 2 Player) style of servers, in which 1 player in a lobby is designated the “host”, and all players in the lobby play from his/her IP as a server. With dedicated servers, 343i are the hosts and everybody runs from special servers designed to support players worldwide. With these servers, a LOT of issues with Halo (Not just H4, this also applied to Reach, H3, and even H2 PC) are fixed. We would see;

• Virtually NO lag, as if you were playing on LAN, which means that every shot that should hit registers, which has always been a problem with Halo.
  • There’ll be no Host booting because 343i are the hosts.
  • No changes in hosts or “Black screening” when the host quits.
  • No being able to manipulate the connection to work to your advantage, such as strafing from side to side (known as the SK strafe/SKrafe), or the famous “Gandhi Hop”, where you spam the crouch button when jumping.
  • Modifying/Hacking the game online becomes obsolete.

And, like Battlefield, it also opens up the opportunity for players to purchase the right to host their own servers, which means they can host all sorts of events, particularly for MLG and competitive Halo, which as of March 2012, practically ceases to exist.

> I keep seeing people post about 343i getting dedicated servers and I do not understand why someone would think they do not have dedicated servers for matchmaking. Do you think their exchange and sequel server are running matchmaking games lol. Most likely its a huge virtualized farm with 1000’s of virtual servers running on fiber channel SAN’s. I dont seen how else they could cater to the population. So please someone enlighten me to what you mean by “they need dedicated servers and its never going to happen”

lol trying to be condescending when you’re completely wrong…
all I can say to that is: FAIL

now allow me to enlighten you…

<mark>Matchmaking is a P2P system</mark>

Use this thread please:

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst36861_DEDICATED-SERVERS-H5--SUPPORT-US.aspx