343i, make Chief's eye visible throughout Halo 5

343i should make his visor cracked in the cutscenes (see his eye behind the cracked visor) and the gameplay (show cracks on the hud). That way in Halo 5 and Halo 6 Chief’s character model can look like this:

When he is calm (CLICK ME TO SEE)

When he is angry or shocked (CLICK ME TO SEE)

His 3D in game and cutscene model will look like this (CLICK ME TO SEE).

I really want Halo 5 or Halo 6 to give master chief a permenant crack in his visor showing his left eye. Not to show his whole face, but just his eye. That way the player can see so much more emotion from him during cutscenes. They can see when he is happy (his eye will get smaller as he’s in his 40ies you can see the faint smile lines around his eye), they can see when he is mad (his eyes will widen while his pupils will dilate and get smaller), when he is broken and sad (we can see his eyebrows change angle). 343i wants to flesh out Chief’s character, they started this in Halo 4 with the death of cortana, and him questioning if he is a man or a machine. The prologue mentioned that chief is broken at his core.

343i shouldn’t go so far to show his full face, but they already showed a glimpse of his eyes in Halo 4, and in Halo Escelation. I hope they make Halo 5 and Halo 6 have Chief’s visor permenantly cracked so we can see his eye and the skin around it (not his whole face, just a bit so we can get more emotion from his character). This will allow for more personality and emotion in Master Chief’s character, and will make the story even better. Anyone agree?

I don’t know how to make urls work, but copy and paste them to view the images.

Interesting… Good idea. This could really add some drama to the story if done correctly… Although I’m pretty sure Chief would be smart enough to get a new helmet before Halo 5 starts.

> 2533274871929545;3:
> Interesting… Good idea. This could really add some drama to the story if done correctly… Although I’m pretty sure Chief would be smart enough to get a new helmet before Halo 5 starts.

He’s gone rogue though, so he doesn’t have resources to new equipment. Kinda like how the Covenant Remnant have crappy and less pretty armor than the Covenant Empire did because they are poor after loosing the war.

I don’t know… I feel as though it wouldn’t add anything to the game. First of all, you would never really see his eyes, and having cracks in your visor would end up being more distracting than anything.

Plus, you don’t need to see his eye to read his emotions. If Halo 4 showed us anything, it’s that John has really strong emotions that he shows in his own silent, awkward way. I liked that, it makes him different from the other characters around him.

> 2533274808386392;5:
> I don’t know… I feel as though it wouldn’t add anything to the game. First of all, you would never really see his eyes, and having cracks in your visor would end up being more distracting than anything.
>
> Plus, you don’t need to see his eye to read his emotions. If Halo 4 showed us anything, it’s that John has really strong emotions that he shows in his own silent, awkward way. I liked that, it makes him different from the other characters around him.

Thing is, while I’m with you that I don’t want to see his full face, I felt the helmet was restrictive.

In this scene in Halo 4 ( http://youtu.be/5MfmtuQdFA0?t=1m50s ), I just knew master chief was smiling underneath his helmet as he ejected her and put her back in his armor, happy to go on another adventure with his best friend cortana. But because of the helmet on his head they couldn’t show it.

Just showing a bit of his eye will allow so much more emotion to be conveyed during cinematics.

> 2533274952179659;6:
> > 2533274808386392;5:
> > I don’t know… I feel as though it wouldn’t add anything to the game. First of all, you would never really see his eyes, and having cracks in your visor would end up being more distracting than anything.
> >
> > Plus, you don’t need to see his eye to read his emotions. If Halo 4 showed us anything, it’s that John has really strong emotions that he shows in his own silent, awkward way. I liked that, it makes him different from the other characters around him.
>
>
> Thing is, while I’m with you that I don’t want to see his full face, I felt the helmet was restrictive.
>
> In this scene in Halo 4 (http://youtu.be/5MfmtuQdFA0?t=1m50s), I just knew master chief was smiling underneath his helmet as he ejected her and put her back in his armor, happy to go on another adventure with his best friend cortana. But because of the helmet on his head they couldn’t show it.
>
> Just showing a bit of his eye will allow so much more emotion to be conveyed during cinematics.

The thing is, Spartan-IIs never really showed much emotions in normal ways either. In the books, it was specifically stated that their mannerisms were hard to notice unless you knew them very well. There might be a slight slump of their shoulders, or perhaps a slight tightening of the lips that’s barely noticeable. These guys have been trained since childhood to be able to put on a mask.

While I do feel that seeing his eye would be strange, it also wouldn’t be fitting to have it show his emotions. Spartans are the closest things to masters of controlling what they show. They shouldn’t steer away from that idea. He can be emotional, but in different, more subtle ways. Once again, this was conveyed well in Halo 4 without showing his face.

Ehhhh No thank you

Well come on, he just faced the Didact again after Halo 4 with Blue Team, he should be good. He survived Halo 3- Halo 4 with minimal damage to his armour so i’d doubt he’d wreck it that easily.

If this happened, I’d be constantly asking myself “Who gave the cyclops a gun!?” I think it’d just be more creepy than anything.

> 2533274828579555;8:
> Ehhhh No thank you

Alright, now state why.

> 2533274873783305;10:
> If this happened, I’d be constantly asking myself “Who gave the cyclops a gun!?” I think it’d just be more creepy than anything.

Well master chief is an antisocial character after all.

> 2533274878211546;9:
> Well come on, he just faced the Didact again after Halo 4 with Blue Team, he should be good. He survived Halo 3- Halo 4 with minimal damage to his armour so i’d doubt he’d wreck it that easily.

I wish he didn’t get his helmet fixed after he fought the didact. He wen’t rogue after that, so it would make sense for the hole to stay in his helmet.

any other thoughts?

I love this idea, I actually thought of the same thing a week ago when I was thinking about where the story in halo 5 will go, if 343 really wants to develop chief as a character we are going to need to see SOMETHING, however with a cracked visor that would kinda need to be represented in gameplay though which would kinda make things weird…

Would be pretty cool. I can’t wait to see what may happen to MC or what they are willing to show after Halo 4 and revealing his eyes.

> 2684064956505966;15:
> I love this idea, I actually thought of the same thing a week ago when I was thinking about where the story in halo 5 will go, if 343 really wants to develop chief as a character we are going to need to see SOMETHING, however with a cracked visor that would kinda need to be represented in gameplay though which would kinda make things weird…

they could make a faint cracked out part of the hud. The holed in the visor doesn’t need to be too defined. small hud elemented like the radar or ammo count don’t obscure vision, so the small hole in the visor shouldn’t either.

> 2533274797167125;16:
> Would be pretty cool. I can’t wait to see what may happen to MC or what they are willing to show after Halo 4 and revealing his eyes.

It would be interesting if in Halo 5’s ending they showed his mouth, and Halo 6’s ending they showed the top of his head. So players will need to piece together his eyes in Halo 4, his jaw in Halo 5, and his forehead in Halo 6. Although I’d rather them not do this or show his full face. Perhaps the back of his head showing his -Yoink!- brown hair.

We’ve seen enough of John’s face. A change like this would be too superficial, limiting story possibilities (nothing could be done outside of atmosphere) and I know that the novelty of having a constant crack on your screen would wear off rather quickly.

f you combine good voice acting and good animation, a character doesn’t need to be hollywoodised (actors don’t usually like thier faces hidden, take the Stalone Judge Dredd vs the Karl Urban one) even if its not true to the character to have their face on display.

John-117 has a great voice actor, and a good team of animators behind him. He can convey all the emotion he needs.