343i looking for new franchise writer!

With this tweet https://twitter.com/xboxjobs/status/423220845494808576

and Joe Staten now available and signed with Microsoft. How likely is it he’ll return?

I’ve applied, but I don’t think I have much of a chance as opposed to the likely industry veterans who have applied.

I guess that means brian reed isn’t the lead writer for halo 5.

> I guess that means brian reed isn’t the lead writer for halo 5.

I really hope so. I have nothing against the guy but I don’t think that they should let him write the story for a major Halo game.

> I’ve applied, but I don’t think I have much of a chance as opposed to the likely industry veterans who have applied.

Please, DecepticonCobra for the new writer!! Just make sure to make the next Halo more like the original, about the Great Journey and not about these stupid pseudo-Forerunners, more Spartns, Sarah Palmer, the -Yoink- Infinity and Halsey… LOL

Anyway, these are good news. Hope the new writer will be better.

> > I’ve applied, but I don’t think I have much of a chance as opposed to the likely industry veterans who have applied.
>
> Please, DecepticonCobra for the new writer!! Just make sure to make the next Halo more like the original, about the Great Journey and not about these stupid pseudo-Forerunners, more Spartns, Sarah Palmer, the Yoink! Infinity and Halsey… LOL
>
> Anyway, these are good news. Hope the new writer will be better.

Why should they go back to the old stuff? I’d rather they focus on new stories and characters…

They really are hiring people left, right and center aren’t they.

> > > I’ve applied, but I don’t think I have much of a chance as opposed to the likely industry veterans who have applied.
> >
> > Please, DecepticonCobra for the new writer!! Just make sure to make the next Halo more like the original, about the Great Journey and not about these stupid pseudo-Forerunners, more Spartns, Sarah Palmer, the Yoink! Infinity and Halsey… LOL
> >
> > Anyway, these are good news. Hope the new writer will be better.
>
> Why should they go back to the old stuff? I’d rather they focus on new stories and characters…

I didn’t say entirely like the old ones, but just that they add something similar to a Great Journey and something about Halo rings, because the last time I looked at the cover of my game the franchise was called Halo, not “Master Chief jumping here and there between the entire universe to stop an unknown enemy which motives weren’t clear and wanted to compose the mankind”.

This new direction pissed me off, these was Halo not Star Wars. Hope they make it more Halo for the next entry.

> I’ve applied, but I don’t think I have much of a chance as opposed to the likely industry veterans who have applied.

I have applied too. But I doubt I will even be looked over, due to my lack of experience, in the gaming industry… but good luck Cobra, if at least one of us get it we can properly voice are fellow forumers opinions…

Good luck! :raised_hands:

I applied to that. Although, my summary of the Mantle was rushed, so I think I botched my chances.

I’m planning on redoing that as a Forum Post.

> and Joe Staten now available and signed with Microsoft. How likely is it he’ll return?

Joe Staten has to return. Not just because of his skills at writing and crafting worlds, but also to voice the Grunts. I really miss hearing those guys speak English. :’(

OT: I think it would be good to have someone on this forum be given a writing role in 343i. There’s a lot of ambitious, dedicated people in the Halo Universe forum. Hopefully it would allow us, the users of this forum and fans of Halo canon, to better the chances of getting our voices heard.

Joseph Staten works at Microsoft now, but not at 343i. He WILL work on Halo, but he’ll work on all Microsoft games. He’s essentially Phil Spencer 2.0, from what I gather. Microsoft probably hired him because they needed a new face for PR after the train wreck of the One marketing.

Either way, I doubt any forum goers will get hired, no matter how skilled they might be or how well they know the universe. It would be an interesting move, but I don’t see it (unless they have major writing experience, it will be too big a risk). It also doesn’t help that some of said forum goers are very vocal about their opinions, sometimes with a rudeness to them that might have offended 343i before. Ahem.

If it were an election, I’d vote for you, DecepticonCobra.

> Joe Staten has to return. Not just because of his skills at writing and crafting worlds, but also to voice the Grunts. I really miss hearing those guys speak English. :’(

Staten will probably have little to no influence on the story of the game, but maybe perhaps other media. The TV series looks quite likely at the moment.

he is not really working with 343i he is doing other stuff as well

i think he might just help 343i just to do the grunt voices thats all

I look forward to see who they hire for this position. Though I know we probably won’t hear who they hire for a while.
It makes sense that a requirement is to write about the Mantle of Responsibility. We know that the Mantle is an important part of Halo Cannon as it’s central to Humanity’s Reclamation, and thus a central theme of the Reclaimer Saga.
I would be interested in reading the essays from those Forum goers who applied.

> > I’ve applied, but I don’t think I have much of a chance as opposed to the likely industry veterans who have applied.
>
> Please, DecepticonCobra for the new writer!! Just make sure to <mark>make the next Halo more like the original, about the Great Journey</mark> and not about these stupid pseudo-Forerunners, more Spartns, Sarah Palmer, the Yoink! Infinity and Halsey… LOL
>
> Anyway, these are good news. Hope the new writer will be better.

That story ark is over, it’s time to focus on the new story and the new threat. Besides, DecepticonCobra (that gamertag 100% lacks originality) would be a terrible writer for 343 Industries, best to hire a professional!

>
> I have applied too. But I doubt I will even be looked over, due to my lack of experience, in the gaming industry… but good luck Cobra, if at least one of us get it we can properly voice are fellow forumers opinions…

> I applied to that. Although, my summary of the Mantle was rushed, so I think I botched my chances.
>
> I’m planning on redoing that as a Forum Post.

Any way we can support you guys with this? Either a thread with community testimony on contributions of all the legit. forum applicants, or a massive twitter blast at Xbox, etc.?

Seriously, I think it would be a great move. Who knows the universe better than the hardcore fans? We all have as much invested in the universe growing as anyone, and I’ve always been impressed by the objectivity you have all brought to even very heated discussions.

It’s your applications, so I’ll defer to you guys on this. But if you are willing, let’s organize some form of Halo community support. Either way, best of luck.