343i: Give away the DLC

I think 343i should give away the DLC. Not because I’m too cheap to buy it, but because not enough people buy it for it to add much value to Halo 4 as long as 343i sells it. The DLC playlists are tiny. As I write this at 7:50AM EST, there are 37 people in the Majestic playlist. If the goal is to reinvigorate Halo 4, more DLC that doesn’t sell very well and most people can’t play is not the answer.

It’s 10$ which is 5 less then standard DLC. Not to mention You can buy just the maps seperately for 240 MSP. No ones DLC should ever be free unless the company makes enough money off of microtransactions.

I agree with BWO RazrStorm, and nobody wants more microtransactions. Plus I don’t want to pay 10 dollars just so a few months later it can be free. You could probably get 10 dollars of MSP from just bing rewards in a month or so; I mean really 10 dollars is it really that much? I really feel like the problem is a general uninterest in halo 4, I don’t see why so little people play it.

Please remember, if there are achievements associated with any DLC, then it cannot be given away or made free.

> Please remember, if there are achievements associated with any DLC, then it cannot be given away or made free.

Next question: are there achievements?

> > Please remember, if there are achievements associated with any DLC, then it cannot be given away or made free.
>
> Next question: are there achievements?

What do you mean are there achievements? Have you never played the DLC maps? All the DLC map packs have achievements associated with them

> I think 343i should give away the DLC. Not because I’m too cheap to buy it, but because not enough people buy it for it to add much value to Halo 4 as long as 343i sells it. The DLC playlists are tiny. As I write this at 7:50AM EST, there are 37 people in the Majestic playlist. If the goal is to reinvigorate Halo 4, more DLC that doesn’t sell very well and most people can’t play is not the answer.

A lot of players are on the east coast, I don’t see why a lot of them would be up at 8 AM ON A FRIDAY playing a particular playlist you want to play…

It’s normal supply and demand, guys. Some people want DLC enough to buy it, some don’t. It would be stupid of them to give away new content for free, even if it doesn’t make appearances in matchmaking often. If you don’t think it’s worth it–whether it’s because the maps will be rare, you don’t think you’ll like them, or whatever–don’t buy it. Others will though. And even if only 10 players bought it, 343i would still get $10 x 10 = $100, which is a lot greater than $0.

If you give it away for free now there will be 3 groups of people:

A) those who HAD NOT bought it and are happy its free :slight_smile:
B) those who HAD bought it and are happy they now get to play the maps regularly :slight_smile:
C) those who HAD bought it and are annoyed that it’s now free :frowning:

When Halo 5 comes around this is what each group are likely to do:

A) never bought it before but even less likely to buy it now, they waited last time and it paid off
B) no point buying it because again they won’t get to play the maps, may as well wait until its free
C) won’t make the same mistake again of buying it, wait until its free

Everyone will be discouraged from buying future DLC.

I’m on EST also and early morning their are normally not a lot of people on until noon. The most I see in the DLC Playlist at a peak time is normally only 300-400 people. I would like to think that this new playlist will have more than that just for the simple fact that it has Pit. With that said within a couple weeks it will drop just like every other DLC playlist.

With achievements attached to all 3 current map packs, you won’t be seeing them become free. That’s Xbox Live policy, not 343’s.

You are more likely to see the price go down, but never free, unless some company was going to pay the bill and make it free that way.

> If you give it away for free now there will be 3 groups of people:
>
> A) those who HAD NOT bought it and are happy its free :slight_smile:
> B) those who HAD bought it and are happy they now get to play the maps regularly :slight_smile:
> C) those who HAD bought it and are annoyed that it’s now free :frowning:
>
> When Halo 5 comes around this is what each group are likely to do:
>
> A) never bought it before but even less likely to buy it now, they waited last time and it paid off
> B) no point buying it because again they won’t get to play the maps, may as well wait until its free
> C) won’t make the same mistake again of buying it, wait until its free
>
> Everyone will be discouraged from buying future DLC.

Very good point, hopefully 343 does not consider this idea.

I sure would be pissed if I found out that the stuff that I paid 30 dollars for was handed out to everyone like candy, that would certainly make me not want to waste my money on DLC in the future.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> Please remember, if there are achievements associated with any DLC, then it cannot be given away or made free.

False. Many games have added free DLC that included achievements.

Halo 3 Mythic Map Pack II (800)
Both Halo Wars DLCs (800 each)

If anything, they’d make the Halo 3 & Halo Wars DLC cheaper/free before even touching Halo 4’s but that hasn’t happened.

I wouldn’t hold your breath to be honest.

> > Please remember, if there are achievements associated with any DLC, then it cannot be given away or made free.
>
> False. Many games have added free DLC that included achievements.

In terms of Halo, it has never happened.

> A lot of players are on the east coast, I don’t see why a lot of them would be up at 8 AM ON A FRIDAY playing a particular playlist you want to play…

I don’t see why you think I want to play in the Majestic playlist. I don’t have that map pack.

Irrelevant. The point is that it’s a tiny playlist compared to all the others, regardless of the time of day. It’s currently 5:40PM EST and there are only 167 people in the Majestic playlist.

> It’s 10$ which is 5 less then standard DLC.

I’ve always paid $10 for Halo DLC, but this isn’t the issue.

> Not to mention You can buy just the maps seperately for 240 MSP. No ones DLC should ever be free unless the company makes enough money off of microtransactions.

Congratulations, you completely ignored my point. The DLC obviously isn’t selling very well. Lots of the people who buy it are frustrated they can’t play it. I wouldn’t mind paying for it if I thought I’d be able to play it a fair bit, but why should I fork over $10 for some maps I’ll hardly ever be able to play? I bought all the DLC for Reach, but after a point (maybe after 343i took over) I couldn’t play a bunch of it.

I’ve always seen DLC as a way to reinvigorate a game and extend its useful life. But if most people don’t buy it then it can’t accomplish that goal.

> Please remember, if there are achievements associated with any DLC, then it cannot be given away or made free.

Ah yes, I’d forgotten that. Of course this brings up the issue of achievements people can’t earn because they don’t have enough chances to play the maps needed to earn them.

> I sure would be pissed if I found out that the stuff that I paid 30 dollars for was handed out to everyone like candy, that would certainly make me not want to waste my money on DLC in the future.

I understand this point, and it’s certainly valid. But at the same time, a lot of people who bought DLC are unhappy they can’t play it because not enough people have it.

Allow me to point out that same issue applies to the game itself. I paid $60 for Halo 4 to get it when it first came out. I can get it from Amazon now for $28. The Limited Edition is available for $60. Should that make me mad and conclude I’ll never buy another game when it first comes out?

Perhaps one option would be to give away a version people can’t use to earn achievements associated with the paid version. Then the people who paid for it still get something the people who get it free don’t get, but a lot more people will have it so your chances of earning those achievements increase.

> I wouldn’t hold your breath to be honest.

I’m under no delusion a Microsoft company would do it. 343i obviously doesn’t “get it.” They’ll flail around trying to grow the population with stuff like tweaking weapons and maps, adding games and map packs most people won’t buy, and so on.

All while failing to address what I consider the more serious issues, such as insufferably long times to start new matches, a variety of black screen issues, missing features, clumsy interfaces for muting people during games and saving the game I just played, and so on. I’m not exaggerating when I say the #1 reason I stop playing is that I get tired of waiting for a new game to start. The main reason I haven’t played at all in about a week is that whenever I think about playing I think about sitting in the search lobby for five minutes waiting for a game to start and I lose interest.

My theory is that when they do downloadable content, they should always add new stances, armor permutations, weapon skins, and the works. However, each piece of DLC should see also see a free update where these cosmetic bonuses are freely applied to every player. And then the DLC proper - basically a map pack and a game mode - could be the premium 800 Microsoft Points. I just think it’s wrong to augment a price with goodies that other developers (read: not even most developers, just some) add in as free goodies. If they want more players, making cosmetic skins a part of premium DLC is a bad thing. I imagine these changes cost relatively little to produce.