343i: Firefight AFK banhammer needs a 'tweak'

The banhammer seems to have done a nice job of catching and banning and/or resetting the people who get 0 kills in several games.

However, the AFKer’s have evolved their tactics - they now get one or two kills at the start of the game, then go and hide until the bonus round 10-15 mins later, in which they proceed to get several more kills.

Are there any plans to tweak the banhammer to try and identify this type of behaviour?

After all, the times of the kills are all stored in the game data, so it should be possible to identify this game behaviour from the stats (although I realise this would be more resource intensive than a simple check of their total kills).

Thanks for reading.

I think:

If the player recent games seems suspicious with a few games, they should download thier game they have been recently playing and if they are hiding/idling, The banhammer should be unleashed.

Completely agree. The AFk-ers have adjusted their tactics to circumvent the banhammer. They even openly mock it on Bnet, and tell others how to do it.

We should be able to post their gamertags and let 343i look into it and rest them or even better ban them.
I have a long list of gametags that go AFK in games that I have played and they are still getting away with it and its a joke that they are still ranking up and bragging about what they do.

I love to play Firefight and have to wait till friends are online to play FF Doubles with them as when i play with randomers they always pick 2x score attack which is pointless with 2 people. If I play FF Arcade then its just full of people that go AFK.

It should be based on kills per round or kills per wave.

If a person doesn’t get kills in 3 or 4 out of 15 waves (arcadefight) that will be considered AFKing.

> It should be based on kills per round or kills per wave.
>
> If a person doesn’t get kills in 3 or 4 out of 15 waves (arcadefight) that will be considered AFKing.

> It should be based on kills per round or kills per wave.
>
> If a person doesn’t get kills in 3 or 4 out of 15 waves (arcadefight) that will be considered AFKing.

Good idea but I know that sometimes either I or a teammate will have killed a majority of a wave and leaving none for the some of the team, so that might be a false positive case to take in to consideration.

Also I wonder if under that system that if I was playing on the Score Attack playlist in a Sniper Attack game on Holdout, staying on the first wave (by not killing the last 4 grunt) but just “farm” the banshee kills (if you don’t kill that wave no drop pods will fall so the only hazard is the banshee that spawns every 2.5 minutes) until the round ends. Is that AFKing under that system as well? I used that to farm my grounded commendation every once in awhile.

I still don’t see what the big deal is.
Are you guys jealous of them or something? Most of them do it in Arcadefight which is super easy with unlimited lives.

If I remember correctly, shortly before 343i took over, Jeremiah made a post on the B.net Optimatch about how they can actually track when the cR was earned in-game manually, but the banhammer hasn’t implemented the feature.

So the AFKers that think they can get away with it, won’t for much longer.

> I still don’t see what the big deal is.
> Are you guys jealous of them or something? Most of them do it in Arcadefight which is super easy with unlimited lives.

Not jealous, I just find it unfair and dishonest. When I play FF Arcade I want to be matched & play with active players not inactive ones, and I never want to play FOR someone that is idle.

By AFKing, idle players reduce the number of active players on the team. This reduces the kill rate which slows down the game to the full time limit for max game complete cR which they earn on the backs of active players for doing nothing on their part. It makes it harder to get to the bonus round or even 2nd-3rd round, especially on larger maps. Also they earn perfection commendations for the rounds that are completed by letting the rest of the team complete those rounds for them.

If it is easy they should play to get the cR honestly.

I completely agree. It takes that much longer with one or more players not actually playing and I hate knowing that I’m ranking them up while they sit in a room walking into a corner.

I will admit that I get even with them. Once per round I walk (push them) out into the open and let the AI kill them just to ruin their perfection medal lol :smiley:

It’s not much, but it makes me feel better :stuck_out_tongue:

You dont wanna play for somebody?
Think of it as charity brah

> Completely agree. The AFk-ers have adjusted their tactics to circumvent the banhammer. They even openly mock it on Bnet, and tell others how to do it.

I assume your refering to Lone Wolf. lol

and quiet honestly, i like AFK’ers. they’re not hurting me, in fact, they’re helping me. I get more cR due to the lack of them getting kills so i get more, and with one less person playing it makes the game last a little longer, aka longer game completion bonus.

I never have a problem clearing the waves without them all the way to bonus. I’m actually really good at ArcadeFight, i know how to sit on top of spawns and easily Killtastrophie them off spawn at the least.

> > It should be based on kills per round or kills per wave.
> >
> > If a person doesn’t get kills in 3 or 4 out of 15 waves (arcadefight) that will be considered AFKing.
>
> Good idea but I know that sometimes either I or a teammate will have killed a majority of a wave and leaving none for the some of the team, so that might be a false positive case to take in to consideration.

Yeah that’s why it should be 3-4 waves with out kills.

Or maybe if you get less then 30-40 kills they take it as an AFK. Even the worst players can get 30-40 kills. That’s 2-3 kills every 5 waves.

I agree, there should be a way to stop this behaviour, I was saying that on MY thread but it got locked

Go figure it seems they want to keep the game being ruined over by this kind of people, in any case I PM’d BS Angel with the contents of my original thread I hope some reply is at least given.

> > Completely agree. The AFk-ers have adjusted their tactics to circumvent the banhammer. They even openly mock it on Bnet, and tell others how to do it.
>
> I assume your refering to Lone Wolf. lol
>
> and quiet honestly, i like AFK’ers. they’re not hurting me, in fact, they’re helping me. I get more cR due to the lack of them getting kills so i get more, and with one less person playing it makes the game last a little longer, aka longer game completion bonus.
>
> I never have a problem clearing the waves without them all the way to bonus. I’m actually really good at ArcadeFight, i know how to sit on top of spawns and easily Killtastrophie them off spawn at the least.

Then at that point why would not want to play FF Doubles Arcadefight instead? It has the same time limit, and number of enemies as FF Arcade but only two players, and same cR/min as FF Arcade.

AFK players are essentially making you play a FF Doubles Arcadefight kind of experience but earning cR off of your game, making you work for both your cR and theirs. I don’t like the idea of someone profiting off my work without my consent like I was some cR slave.

I don’t AFK but I say who cares? well alot of people do but why? first thing first its just a game. secondly its firefight, thirdly if someone AFKS that means more kills for you. Also back to the original question which was who cares? bc I don’t and I know I’m not the only one.

AFK is wrong…in multplayer NOT firefight

> > > It should be based on kills per round or kills per wave.
> > >
> > > If a person doesn’t get kills in 3 or 4 out of 15 waves (arcadefight) that will be considered AFKing.
> >
> > Good idea but I know that sometimes either I or a teammate will have killed a majority of a wave and leaving none for the some of the team, so that might be a false positive case to take in to consideration.
>
> Yeah that’s why it should be 3-4 waves with out kills.
>
> Or maybe if you get less then 30-40 kills they take it as an AFK. Even the worst players can get 30-40 kills. That’s 2-3 kills every 5 waves.

Well whatever details that 343i takes into account I would hope for the banhammer would look at the kills vs time graph (just look at a game in the game history and mouse over the player’s emblem to see the graph).

In those line graphs you can see when the player killed then stopped or killed 2-3 times over the entire game but stopped for prolong periods leaving the graph very straight in some sections. If they used the slope of that line (math, sorry) for determining AFK players it would be a better way for the banhammer to mark periods of AFK-ness and line up the AFK players for a swing.

> I don’t AFK but I say who cares? well alot of people do but why? first thing first its just a game. secondly its firefight, thirdly if someone AFKS that means more kills for you. Also back to the original question which was who cares? bc I don’t and I know I’m not the only one.
>
> AFK is wrong…in multplayer NOT firefight

Well:

1. I paid for this game, so I have expectations for what experience I get from it.
  2. FF is just as valid a game type as an MM, it might be you cup of team but that does not make less deserving of being treated fairly. AFK ruins both MM and FF as we both have expectation that we will be matched up with active team players.
    3)The “more kills for you” excuse would be valid if the cR was worth it but it is very small. Also for players like me who want to work on perfection commendations having less players and more enemies to kill usually leads meaning the match might not finish to the bonus round within the time limit and only have 1-2 rounds done. Not fun.

Even if you don’t care, it means you approve of people not having fun in a game mode for the same game which they and you paid for.

Theres a very easy fix for this,

You get Ex amount of credits depending on how many things you kill and remove the match bonus cr system.

Fixed.