343i: Do Whatever You Want for Halo 4's Multiplayer

BUT…

For the love of everything…

1. Give us the options to play the game how WE want to play it, with or without your additions/ideas.

2. Offer up a “Classic” matchmaking module in the game that plays just like we remember it in Halo 1, 2, and 3. No AAs. No Bloom. Nothing new you want to add. Just weapons, grenades, melee, and Spartans.

I think the biggest reason Reach got such a backlash, is there was simply no way to change what we didn’t like, and we didn’t have a choice in the matter when we went into matchmaking. I think, and most of you will agree with me here, that if Reach had just one playlist without Bloom and AAs at launch, the backlash and hate wouldn’t have been as much as it was.

I also think that all the talk of “NO AAs! NO BLOOM! NO ANYTHING THAT ISN’T HALO 3-ISH!” (While justified), is primarily reactionary to the fact that Reach just provided the player with no options whatsoever when it came to playstyle. It was “Play the game this way, or don’t play at all!”. Even CoD has more variation than that…Those who don’t like Core tend to play Hardcore. And BlOps added a Barebones bracket that plays much like CoD4 did. So, other big multiplayer games are already taking steps to provide their players with a more “Classic” experience, should they not enjoy the new additions developers are bringing to the table. Halo should follow suit on this one.

Problem is, Reach didn’t. Players now feel that they have to speak out in absolutes (“NO BLOOM!” etc…), to ensure that we DON’T have another Reach on our hands with Halo 4. But, there’s another way to do it…A better way. So spread your wings, 343, stretch your arms out and innovate in whatever ways you want…

But PLEASE don’t assume that all Halo players will enjoy your changes, and give those players the option to play that core Halo experience in Matchmaking.

Thanks, and I really hope this gets passed up to someone in charge. This message needs to be heard; I think even the haters will agree that this is an acceptable solution to allow you guys at 343 to do whatever the you want, and still give us the option to enjoy that core Halo experience.

I think you are the first who really says 100% constructive feedback in a Halo forum. With this way everyone would be pleased. Every core player and also every casual. I don´t know if you can do that 343i but if you have the opportunity to make it happen THAN DO IT!

Very understandable. There should be something for every kind of player out there. Yet when you mentioned that some people want to play it (Reach) just like Halo 1, 2, and 3 that would truely never be possible. They were all different games and had their own “quirks.” Reach is a brand new game, people should play Reach if they want to play Reach not if they want to play something like Halo 3. Sure, Reach is much more dramatically different from its predecessor Halo 3, the transition was much different then from Halo 2 to 3.

So hopefully 343 doesn’t make any drastic changes to Halo 4’s core gameplay and leaves it as perfect as it can possibly be. Lets hope they take everything into consideration before release.

Agreed. We need options. Something tells me if a Classic Playlist was established on day one, and the tools were there to make it easier to construct, Halo Reach would be praised more.

> Very understandable. There should be something for every kind of player out there. Yet when you mentioned that some people want to play it (Reach) just like Halo 1, 2, and 3 that would truely never be possible. They were all different games and had their own “quirks.” Reach is a brand new game, people should play Reach if they want to play Reach not if they want to play something like Halo 3. Sure, Reach is much more dramatically different from its predecessor Halo 3, the transition was much different then from Halo 2 to 3.
>
> So hopefully 343 doesn’t make any drastic changes to Halo 4’s core gameplay and leaves it as perfect as it can possibly be. Lets hope they take everything into consideration before release.

Well the thing is, if we wanted to all go play Halo 3, that’s great…But it’s an old game that we’ve already experienced. To have a mode in Reach, for instance, without Bloom and AAs, and re-balanced weapons to compensate, would give users a chance to experience the Classic Halo formula with all new weapons and maps, which is really what each new Halo game is supposed to do anyway. Bungie decided to change up gameplay in Reach, and it caused a schism.

To avoid a schism in Halo 4 (More like, to try to win back all the players they lost…), they should provide users with the “New” multiplayer alongside a “Classic” bracket that includes all the old stuff we’ve come to know and love, but in a new environment.

This is my philosophy on how Halo games should be made (I actually typed a small comment somewhere here on the forums regarding just the same idea…).

And it should be a game of options. It can still be Halo, but Halo already has the capacity to branch out into other game genres (like racing and sports). Sure, whatever we make doesn’t have to be default play or in Matchmaking at all. But having the capacity to make the game you want with custom options and maps while still clinging tightly to the original experience we’ve come to know and love should be the definition of modern Halo.

Also, my post regarding AA’s and new mechanics:

> For everyone saying they “hate” AA’s, that’s not entirely true, now is it? I for one hate that they are default gameplay in Reach.
>
> Whenever you add a new mechanic, you should have the regular game alongside it so that you can revert to it in case the new mechanic turns out to be a total flop, which keeps the players happy while the developers fix the broken mechanics. This didn’t happen with Reach, which is why many people say they hate its gameplay.

as long as Halo 4 doesn’t have herp derp Reach multiplayer in it, halo 4 will most likely turn out great.

One thing to add, we should have two classic modes

Classic: Halo 2/3 type gameplay.

Uber Classic: Halo 1 experience.

This will let everybody who wants to play those games the way they were will be allowed to.

> Agreed. We need options. Something tells me if a Classic Playlist was established on day one, and the tools were there to make it easier to construct, Halo Reach would be praised more.

But the actual classic playlist in reach doesnt have a Classic feel to me :frowning:
Broken DMR (randomness,bloom,spread),needle rifle, Overpowered grenades, player speed is too fast, horrible Forge maps and the list goes on. For me, classic is Halo 2. If 343i brings a new classic list, dont bring a CE MP with an overpowered pistol or something.
Hopefully the Reach TU can bring us some big options :slight_smile:

> > Agreed. We need options. Something tells me if a Classic Playlist was established on day one, and the tools were there to make it easier to construct, Halo Reach would be praised more.
>
> But the actual classic playlist in reach doesnt have a Classic feel to me :frowning:
> Broken DMR (randomness,bloom,spread),needle rifle, Overpowered grenades, player speed is too fast, horrible Forge maps and the list goes on. For me, classic is Halo 2. If 343i brings a new classic list, dont bring a CE MP with an overpowered pistol or something.
> Hopefully the Reach TU can bring us some big options :slight_smile:

OP pistol? Has there been one in the Halo series? I don’t recall one at all.

> > > Agreed. We need options. Something tells me if a Classic Playlist was established on day one, and the tools were there to make it easier to construct, Halo Reach would be praised more.
> >
> > But the actual classic playlist in reach doesnt have a Classic feel to me :frowning:
> > Broken DMR (randomness,bloom,spread),needle rifle, Overpowered grenades, player speed is too fast, horrible Forge maps and the list goes on. For me, classic is Halo 2. If 343i brings a new classic list, dont bring a CE MP with an overpowered pistol or something.
> > Hopefully the Reach TU can bring us some big options :slight_smile:
>
> OP pistol? Has there been one in the Halo series? I don’t recall one at all.

people want HALO CE MP back (3 shot pistol lol).
Ive played only 2 matches in Halo CE PC and it was horrible. I dont know what people like so mUch about the MP in CE.
Halo 2 was awesome.

> > > > Agreed. We need options. Something tells me if a Classic Playlist was established on day one, and the tools were there to make it easier to construct, Halo Reach would be praised more.
> > >
> > > But the actual classic playlist in reach doesnt have a Classic feel to me :frowning:
> > > Broken DMR (randomness,bloom,spread),needle rifle, Overpowered grenades, player speed is too fast, horrible Forge maps and the list goes on. For me, classic is Halo 2. If 343i brings a new classic list, dont bring a CE MP with an overpowered pistol or something.
> > > Hopefully the Reach TU can bring us some big options :slight_smile:
> >
> > OP pistol? Has there been one in the Halo series? I don’t recall one at all.
>
> people want HALO CE MP back (3 shot pistol lol).
> Ive played only 2 matches in Halo CE PC and it was horrible. I dont know what people like so mUch about the MP in CE.
> Halo 2 was awesome.

If you think that Halo PC actually defines CE’s gameplay, you’re sadly mistaken. Halo PC is nothing like LAN games with CE.

If they could offer an experience like Halo 2/3 with playlists, and have those same exact playlists available for people who liked Reach’s additions, complaining would probably go down quite a bit.

> If they could offer an experience like Halo 2/3 with playlists, and have those same exact playlists available for people who liked Reach’s additions, complaining would probably go down quite a bit.

We’re all hoping that the Title Update will bring this to Reach.

> > Agreed. We need options. Something tells me if a Classic Playlist was established on day one, and the tools were there to make it easier to construct, Halo Reach would be praised more.
>
> But the actual classic playlist in reach doesnt have a Classic feel to me :frowning:
> Broken DMR (randomness,bloom,spread),needle rifle, Overpowered grenades, player speed is too fast, horrible Forge maps and the list goes on. For me, classic is Halo 2. If 343i brings a new classic list, dont bring a CE MP with an overpowered pistol or something.
> Hopefully the Reach TU can bring us some big options :slight_smile:

I’m not talking about the current one, I’m talking about an actual Classic Playlist.

when i looked at the threat title, not gunna lie, my first thought was facepalm, then i scanned over, saw it was by you and felt relieved because i KNEW it would be like this.

well said good sir. i agree.

they can do what they want, just give us OPTIONS OUT THE WAZOO to tweak any and all changes.

i’d def prefer they stuck with what worked, and made halo 4 off of updated halo 3 mechanics (ahh, the golden days, when mechanics were straight forward and intuitive).

From what I’ve seen about the Title Update (We’ll know more soon), they’ll be adding said options to make a more Classic Halo experience.

With that being said, focusing so much on the past will inevitably hurt the game’s evolution. Much like adding Multiplayer to Dead Space 2 and Bioshock 2 hurt the game’s singleplayer (I know not directly hurt it, but overall what they spent on -Yoink- multiplayer modes hurt the campaign).

I’m not so sure about spending all the time rendering all the past game’s weapons and levels with the new game engine… would waste a lot of memory and hurt the game itself. Also including the Level system of Halo 3 and matchmaking of Halo 3 (Halo: Reach’s is a lot different). The gameplay differences would all have to be coded PERFECTLY.

There’s just so much to include to make fans of past Halo game’s happy. You already have that option anyway in playing Halo 3, much like many players of Call of Duty went back to Modern Warfare 2. You ALREADY have that choice to play Halo 3, Halo 2 online (PC only), or Halo 1 in a LAN party. Why force a game developer to include that in the next game? You already have that option right now.

It seems far too impossible to include everything from past games. Well not enough for players to be fully satisfied. All it would ultimately cause is widespread hatred of Classic game modes because they didn’t keep enough from past games, or it doesn’t match Halo 3/2/1 enough. Or they didn’t “work” hard enough or some crap like that.

With all that being said, IF IT’S POSSIBLE with the next game’s weaponry and customizability, I would like a light amount of Classic playlists. But in no way should it take away from Halo 4’s core gameplay or require too much work to include.

Like the basics… Team Slayer, Team Objective, Lonewolves/Rumble Pit, Big Team Battle and Double Team.

Include SWAT, Sniper, MLG gametypes in Slayer. Include Living Dead in Lone Wolves/Rumble Pit.

Basically it should work like that. Given a slight amount of looking at, and given a good amount of support for it, but NOWHERE near the amount that the new Halo 4 gameplay gets. Like 95% focused on the new gameplay, and 5% focused on maintaining the Classic playlists. Possibly even 90%/10%. But majorly focused on the new Halo 4 gameplay.

No, Halo 4 should be a classic Halo experience and not the the -Yoink–storm that reach is.

Yes…At the VERY least thats what they should of done from the start. Thats why so many people were dissapointed with no CE online for the HCEA because most of us who want it, dont like Reach very much(which is alot of people lol). The fact that Reach was in some way chosen over the only real classic Halo game is still disgusting to me. I guess if the real Halo experience has to be relegated to one playlist, then at least do that but please know that just because something is new to the game that doesnt make it better IMO. Casual players may think but not Halo veterans.

And guys…from the leak I just read it looks like H4 will be its own Halo game in its own right, and it mentioned the possibility of AA’s specifically Masterchief sprinting. I cant link it nor do I know its true, but it sounded pretty convincing.

> Yes…At the VERY least thats what they should of done from the start. Thats why so many people were dissapointed with no CE online for the HCEA because most of us who want it, dont like Reach very much(which is alot of people lol). The fact that Reach was in some way chosen over the only real classic Halo game is still disgusting to me. I guess if the real Halo experience has to be relegated to one playlist, then at least do that but please know that just because something is new to the game that doesnt make it better IMO. Casual players may think but not Halo veterans.
>
> And guys…from the leak I just read it looks like H4 will be its own Halo game in its own right, and it mentioned the possibility of AA’s specifically Masterchief sprinting. I cant link it nor do I know its true, but it sounded pretty convincing.

Mate, Reach is being TU’ed so we get a more Classic experience for the CEA maps. Don’t worry about it.