343i Could Actually Learn From Bungie

I am not a fan of Destiny, but there is one thing that Bungie is much better at than 343i: fixing their game and providing incentive to play. At the beginning, Destiny’s reward system was just like Halo 5’s. It was all RNG. Now, it still is RNG, but there is also some accomplishment that needs to be done sometimes to, say, get a certain weapon. It reminds me of Halo 3 in that way. In order to sustain a healthy population, 343i needs to fix the broken reward system and actually give some VALUE to things like armor other than a color. There needs to be some ACCOMPLISHMENT to get stuff rather than just grinding for REQs. Even in 4 and Reach, we had the daily challenges. I think that go keep a healthy population, 343i needs to stop “fixing” what isn’t broken.

I get your point but you do realize 343 still contains Bungie employees right? Also on a side note, 343 is constantly improving H5 MUCH faster than Bungie ever did with Destiny.

> 2787272447958470;2:
> You do realize 343 still contains Bungie members right?

Why does everyone keep saying this? They have a small handful of Bungie employees at the most.

While most of this is subjective, as I do actually enjoy the Req grind, I do miss the daily challenges. And the weapon challenges are too easy. Matbe make them harder with greater reward.

Also 343 didnt cut part of the game to later sell as DLC

> 2533274805919869;5:
> Also 343 didnt cut part of the game to later sell as DLC

Forge worked well enough to provide us “dlc” maps.

Then they released it and it’s still buggy for many lol.

Also, we saw Noctus in trailers before release, and only recently got it. Cut content pretty much confirmed.

> 2787272447958470;2:
> You do realize 343 still contains Bungie members right?

What members ? I said this in another thread, name them ? I bet there’s not as many as you think, I don’t think 343i can learn from Bungie either, they need Halo to be theirs, Bungie and Halo are done.

> 2787272447958470;2:
> I get your point but you do realize 343 still contains Bungie employees right? Also on a side note, they are constantly improving H5 MUCH faster than Bungie ever did with Destiny.

The amount of Bungie employees at 343i could be counted on one hand. Definitely not enough to make any sort of impact on the game’s design by any means.

I think I prefer 343i releasing content patches for free rather than bungie’s new “4 single player missions: $1,000,000” dlc approach thanks.
As for fixing their game: eh… they could learn a lot if they looked at successful MMOs on the market and adopted some of the solutions that already exist to their many problems. But they keep insisting “destiny isn’t an mmo”… no… it’s just a game with massive amounts of multiplayer gaming that happens to be online.
To be fair: perhaps calling it massive is the issue. Hardly ever ran into other people in groups and there was almost no ad-hoc grouping like there is in other MMOs.
I’d say maybe it’s a hardware limitation and PCs just do it better, but Neverwinter seemed to handle it just fine the XB1.

Not that Destiny is a bad game… it’s a very good start to an MMO, but they seriously fail on their content delivery & pricing. (in my opinion ofc).

> 2533274819302824;3:
> > 2787272447958470;2:
> > You do realize 343 still contains Bungie members right?
>
>
> Why does everyone keep saying this? They have a small handful of Bungie employees at the most.

Because the few are having trouble making a proper Halo game. Phil Spencer should rehire for 343i before they work on Halo 6.

> 2533274905097737;6:
> > 2533274805919869;5:
> > Also 343 didnt cut part of the game to later sell as DLC
>
>
> Forge worked well enough to provide us “dlc” maps.
> Then they released it and it’s still buggy for many lol.
> Also, we saw Noctus in trailers before release, and only recently got it. Cut content pretty much confirmed.

did you have to pay another $50 for it like other games?

> 2533274805919869;11:
> > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > 2533274805919869;5:
> > > Also 343 didnt cut part of the game to later sell as DLC
> >
> >
> > Forge worked well enough to provide us “dlc” maps.
> > Then they released it and it’s still buggy for many lol.
> > Also, we saw Noctus in trailers before release, and only recently got it. Cut content pretty much confirmed.
>
>
> did you have to pay another $50 for it like other games?

No, but it’s pretty lame that that was the case with those things and 343 still acts like they were doing us a favor.

> 2533274905097737;12:
> > 2533274805919869;11:
> > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > 2533274805919869;5:
> > > > Also 343 didnt cut part of the game to later sell as DLC
>
>
> No, but it’s pretty lame that that was the case with those things and 343 still acts like they were doing us a favor.

i wish halo 5 did 50x better than other games out there to show companies people won’t buy half a game for full price. How are they acting like they are doing you a favor? Every game has a stupid season pass and halo did not follow and you complain about bugs that will be fixed.

> 2533274805919869;13:
> > 2533274905097737;12:
> > > 2533274805919869;11:
> > > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > > 2533274805919869;5:
> > > > > Also 343 didnt cut part of the game to later sell as DLC
> >
> >
> > No, but it’s pretty lame that that was the case with those things and 343 still acts like they were doing us a favor.
>
>
> i wish halo 5 did 50x better than other games out there to show companies people won’t buy half a game for full price. How are they acting like they are doing you a favor? Every game has a stupid season pass and halo did not follow and you complain about bugs that will be fixed.

They hyped it up. “Oh boy, hold on to your pants fellas, 'cause we’re bringing you Forge!” Only two months after release. Same with Noctus. Revealed before the game released, shows up two months later.

And it is very very fair to complain about Forge bugs because that was the supposed reason it was delayed, to polish it.

It seems more like they finished it before release and put it on a shelf before testing it because they knew they were gonna release post-launch, and didn’t even work on polishing it after they finished.

Destiny is by far the least rewarding game out there right now.

> 2533274902217726;9:
> Not that Destiny is a bad game… it’s a very good start to an MMO, but they seriously fail on their content delivery & pricing. (in my opinion ofc).

I blame Activision.

> 2533274905097737;14:
> > 2533274805919869;13:
> > > 2533274905097737;12:
> > > > 2533274805919869;11:
> > > > > 2533274905097737;6:
> > > > > > 2533274805919869;5:
> > > > > > Also 343 didnt cut part of the game to later sell as DLC
>
>
> They hyped it up. “Oh boy, hold on to your pants fellas, 'cause we’re bringing you Forge!” Only two months after release. Same with Noctus. Revealed before the game released, shows up two months later.
> And it is very very fair to complain about Forge bugs because that was the supposed reason it was delayed, to polish it.
> It seems more like they finished it before release and put it on a shelf before testing it because they knew they were gonna release post-launch, and didn’t even work on polishing it after they finished.

My point still stands did you have to pay extra for any of that.

> 2535407149471660;15:
> Destiny is by far the least rewarding game out there right now.

That’s how I felt with it, for sure. I got tired of the grind and having next to nothing to show for it. With Halo 5, I not only feel like I’m getting better at the game itself, but I am consistently getting rewarded for playing.

> 2533274830462261;16:
> > 2533274902217726;9:
> > Not that Destiny is a bad game… it’s a very good start to an MMO, but they seriously fail on their content delivery & pricing. (in my opinion ofc).
>
>
> I blame Activision.

Yeah. But they sold themselves to Activision.
With their pedigree they should have had their pick of publishers. Seems to me money was more of an incentive than making something amazing for their fans, and because of that Destiny is close to a good game, but just hits so many sour notes.
Should have kept more creative control. The story is a mess after they cut swathes out of it before release. The dlc is way too skinny for the price. They should have paced it out more and delivered expansion packs, not DLC.
It doesn’t make them a bad dev house though. Just one that can’t deliver without first paying their masters.

You’re talking about player investment, and I agree. Halo has classically struggled with this element of next-gen gaming, and it’s probably something that needs to be implemented, but I disagree entirely that 343 could take a card from Bungie’s deck. I love Bungie, and I like Destiny, but holy crap, that game has taken fun gaming time and turned it into virtual chores. The way Bungie has implemented player investment, RNG, and RPG elements that RPG games stopped using in 2008 has all been to that game’s detriment. It’s so hard to enjoy that game anymore because Bungie took the focus away from what we want to do and put it on what we need to do.

I definitely want to be able to invest in my S-IV. I definitely want that investment to mean something other than simply running combat simulations (I mean, what do S-IVs even DO?), but if it comes at the expense of fun, if it’s done by artificially extending the amount of time players have to invest into the game by utilizing arbitrary metrics and barriers to actively prevent players from, you know, playing the game, I’m out.

Again, <3 Bungie, <3/H8 Destiny, but Destiny is a tangle of conflicting high-level design decisions.