343I,add flashback segments(play as child John117)

To be a more well rounded gamer I have been playing playstation exclusives recently (already beat all the big xbox and Nintendo ones). I have just started uncharted 3. The series has a great story. And I like how Uncharted 3 has a flashback segment early in the game. You get to play as Nathan Drake a child, and learn more about his history and origins. This small segment shows some back story for other characters as well and makes the story much more intimate, as well as the writing being good.

I want Halo 5: Guardians campaign to tell the best story it can tell (story means everything to me in Halo), and it can take a cue from Uncharted 3 and feature a short flashback segment where you play as a young 6-14 year old Master Chief / John. Perhaps let players experience his childhood before he was abducted by the UNSC, this would be a piece of untold story that the lore has never explored. We can get to meet his parents, siblings, find out his last name, delve deeper into his humanity as Halo 4 strived for. Or maybe cover an untold event during his life at boot camp that relates back to the present (present being 255X). We can also see a young Halsey, and further develop her character.

A segment I loved from Halo: Fall of Reach is when John is 10-14 (I can’t remember), he and his best friends (Sam and Kelly) as well as other young pre spartans (can’t remember if it was before their augmentation, but it was definitely before they got their armor) are sent to capture an insurrectionist leader and kill soldiers on board the ship. It will be interesting to play this out and see how John reacts emotionally to the first time in life he kills, not an alien, but another human being. Seeing blood pool on the ground from his own doing as a young kid. 343I, you want to consilidate the books, the games, and everything correct? Why not have players play out a chapter from one of the books and relate it back to the current story? Or put more depth on it.

I’d love to see a childhood flashback segment in Halo 5: Guardians.

Now before you all chop my head off for this next paragraph, and start calling me a fanboy, I say this not because of the console war, but because I want Halo to be successful. It needs to have a really deep and good story to compete with Uncharted 4. Right now the PS4 is kicking the Xbox Ones butt in sales. If the Xbox One fails, Halo fails with it. And I don’t want anyone to walk home crying. Halo’s writers should take a page from The Last of Us or Uncharted, those games have great writing. I am confident in 343i’s ability to tell a good story with Halo. Chris Schlerf, the old head of the lead writing department, did a beautiful job with Halo 4’s story (I could write a whole thread about how good Halo 4’s story was with Chief and Cortana, but thats another story). Sadly Chris has left, and the new member(s) (I will not name them because I do not call people out) of the lead writing department haven proven to be that good in writing. Because of this I fear for Halo 5’s campaign story.

Going back to flashback segments in Halo, I think this would be a fun way to learn about lore and characters. I want Halo to have more intimate moments, like Chief and Cortana in Halo 4, that was done well. Halo needs to keep doing this. Its obviously too late to give suggestions for Halo 5: Guardians’s story at this point in development, but if you read this 343i, please consider it for Halo 6.

This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.

> 2533274867157068;2:
> This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.

This. 343i could use this as another cash grab. Just make it where we do side quests and fight the weaker enemy: insurrection.

> 2533274867157068;2:
> This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.

Depends on wich arc of Johns childhood. When he is in bootcamp, he does killing at the young age of 10-14. I’d like to see the games show this and how it emotionally changes him into the “broken” man he is now.

> 2535471906694096;3:
> > 2533274867157068;2:
> > This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.
>
>
> This. 343i could use this as another cash grab. Just make it where we do side quests and fight the weaker enemy: insurrection.

I don’t think its strong enough to base a whole game off of it. I think it would be a much nicer as a short segment in Halo 5: G’s campaign.
Plus the purpose of the segment wouldn’t be gameplay, but story. Maybe it can even be a toutorial level?

> 2533274952179659;5:
> > 2535471906694096;3:
> > > 2533274867157068;2:
> > > This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.
> >
> >
> >
> > This. 343i could use this as another cash grab. Just make it where we do side quests and fight the weaker enemy: insurrection.
>
>
> I don’t think its strong enough to base a whole game off of it. I think it would be a much nicer as a short segment in Halo 5: G’s campaign.
> Plus the purpose of the segment wouldn’t be gameplay, but story. Maybe it can even be a toutorial level?

I do.

Ever hear of tell-tale games?

> 2533274856110620;6:
> > 2533274952179659;5:
> > > 2535471906694096;3:
> > > > 2533274867157068;2:
> > > > This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > This. 343i could use this as another cash grab. Just make it where we do side quests and fight the weaker enemy: insurrection.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I don’t think its strong enough to base a whole game off of it. I think it would be a much nicer as a short segment in Halo 5: G’s campaign.
> > Plus the purpose of the segment wouldn’t be gameplay, but story. Maybe it can even be a toutorial level?
>
>
>
> I do.
>
> Ever hear of tell-tale games?

Ohhh, in that case yes.

I actually would love for tell-tale to do a Halo spin off.

Edit: issue though, you wouldn’t be able to make choices, because Halo’s lore doesn’t split into different choice/posibility timelines.

> 2533274952179659;7:
> > 2533274856110620;6:
> > > 2533274952179659;5:
> > > > 2535471906694096;3:
> > > > > 2533274867157068;2:
> > > > > This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > This. 343i could use this as another cash grab. Just make it where we do side quests and fight the weaker enemy: insurrection.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I don’t think its strong enough to base a whole game off of it. I think it would be a much nicer as a short segment in Halo 5: G’s campaign.
> > > Plus the purpose of the segment wouldn’t be gameplay, but story. Maybe it can even be a toutorial level?
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I do.
> >
> > Ever hear of tell-tale games?
>
>
> Ohhh, in that case yes.
>
> I actually would love for tell-tale to do a Halo spin off.
>
> Edit: issue though, you wouldn’t be able to make choices, because Halo’s lore doesn’t split into different choice/posibility timelines.

Small, non-character changing choices. Just fun things in the childhood of a six year old boy.

No. There was a childhood flashback segment in Assassin’s Creed III and it wasn’t fun. There’s nothing fun you can do as a child in a video game. Furthermore most players will be annoyed and won’t have the patience to play through this segment when they’re expecting to play a Halo game, which is mainly shooting aliens and not childhood hide-and-seek.

Building the story through something like this isn’t a bad idea, but it would work far better as a terminal cinematic unlockable early in the campaign than as an actual playable sequence.

I want flashback cinematics but to play as a kid in a fps would be weird

> 2533274867157068;2:
> This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.

I think halo has so much potential Im kind of sad about the trashed Episodic peter jackson games,
It be cool seeing A more Cinematic Game about Johns training.
Or a prequel from the beginning of chiefs carrier

The moment when the master chief was fighting the big bulky ODST’s , that would be cool if you actually PLAY it

It could be good if handled well, but I don’t think it’ll happen. Maybe a cinematic, but not gameplay. 343 likes expanding the EU, rather than redoing bits that have already been covered, and the Fall of Reach has done this segment quite well already.

As a Tell-Tale like experience with their work in The Walking Dead game, certainly. I don’t see the bootcamp section working well in a first-person shooter.

> 2533274812652989;14:
> As a Tell-Tale like experience with their work in The Walking Dead game, certainly. I don’t see the bootcamp section working well in a first-person shooter.

Right, give it to tell-tale. Though with the workload those guys have right now, i would be concerned about their ability to turn out a quality product if they put any more on their plate.

Could give it to Bio-Ware or Bethesda to make a Halo RPG. I don’t know how many halo players are really into RPGs though. The cross-over market is probably fairly small.

> 2533274798578400;15:
> > 2533274812652989;14:
> > As a Tell-Tale like experience with their work in The Walking Dead game, certainly. I don’t see the bootcamp section working well in a first-person shooter.
>
>
> Right, give it to tell-tale. Though with the workload those guys have right now, i would be concerned about their ability to turn out a quality product if they put any more on their plate.
>
> Could give it to Bio-Ware or Bethesda to make a Halo RPG. I don’t know how many halo players are really into RPGs though. The cross-over market is probably fairly small.

I don’t really see Halo working as an RPG in any real capacity, much less one focused on John’s training.

I’m sure if they did add it. It wouldn’t work for a few months

> 2535452061157766;17:
> I’m sure if they did add it. It wouldn’t work for a few months

It’s funny because Halo 4, Spartan Assault and the Halo 5 beta worked fine and yet one game’s multiplayer not working properly obviously means 343 can’t make anything work despite evidence to the contrary.

> 2535452061157766;17:
> I’m sure if they did add it. It wouldn’t work for a few months

You’re getting desperate, aren’t ya?

> 2533274867157068;2:
> This could be a separate, standalone game. Think about it. Chief as a kid, just being a kid. You have objectives, and you simply complete them, and you have dialog options and such. No killing. There could be fighting, among the kids and such. It could expand Halo into a whole new genre.

That sounds like an unbelievably boring game. This is why books exist, to tell stories.