343... Which is Canon?

Dear 343 Industries,

Now that you are running the Halo Universe which do you follow for official canon: Halo: Reach, or the book, The Fall of Reach? I only ask because the two stories conflict in more ways than one. I realize Bungie always said that the games trump the books but it was never a problem until Reach the game came out.

Seeing how you run the show now do you still follow Bungie’s belief that games are dominant or are you going to follow the deeper lore and choose the book over the game?

I’m simply asking because I am interested in what 343 makes of this subject.

Thank you,
Viper Skills

Community, now that I have asked my question please do not post in this thread in an attempt to tell me the two stories do not conflict because they do. There have been walls upon walls of text explaining faults in the game’s canon from the biggest of subjects to even small details such as how Noble 6 should have died instead of Jorge considering Jorge is the Spartan II and thus more useful to the war effort.

Thank you for your time.

Viper I think that the book should overwrite the game.

hahahaha I kinda wanna know what 343 will say about this.

I think Reach had to coincide with Halo: CE, so thats why there we’re some changes, I class the books and the game as individual canon’s.

> Viper I think that the book should overwrite the game.

Video game came before the books therefore games trump books.

yeah but the book was established before the Game, and it was my opinion and i have the right to state it.

Halo is more of a gaming universe so game >book

ITT: people who cant read

As far as 343 is concerned new Canon > Old Canon. Halo Reach is Canon, and that’s why they rewrote Halo: The Fall of Reach with edits and changes to follow suite with fiction releases since the book came out.

Now, I REALLY don’t like where 343 is taking the industry. And I think they had a big effect on the story of ODST and Halo Reach considering both games felt more their “style”. Humanity blatantly being the most superior species that ever existed is 343’s spin. Bungie saw things on a more realistic level. Making other species that were better in different ways, and the Covenant EASILY defeating the UNSC at every encounter with the few exceptions being when they are heavily outnumbered, or when Spartans are involved, and Elites aren’t.

I feel that because of 343, and the later Halo games Halo will never be the fictional juggernaut it once was. If the mentality behind Halo CE and Halo 2 KEPT, I would consider it still on the level of newer series’ like Mass Effect, and probably easily superior to Star Trek. But as of now Halo is just another gun-ho Marines in space kicking the -Yoinks!- of alleged “superior” alien species’ which actually happen to die by the masses to a single marine, not even a bloody Spartan.

Like the difference between Predator, and Predators. Somewhere along the lines humans went from being realistically limited in physical, technological, and mental capabilities, to instantly being the best of the best who survive anything with little to no real effort. And joke about it to boot.

343 had nothing to do with either ODST or REACH.

> As far as 343 is concerned new Canon > Old Canon. Halo Reach is Canon, and that’s why they rewrote Halo: The Fall of Reach with edits and changes to follow suite with fiction releases since the book came out.
>
> Now, I REALLY don’t like where 343 is taking the industry. And I think they had a big effect on the story of ODST and Halo Reach considering both games felt more their “style”. Humanity blatantly being the most superior species that ever existed is 343’s spin. Bungie saw things on a more realistic level. Making other species that were better in different ways, and the Covenant EASILY defeating the UNSC at every encounter with the few exceptions being when they are heavily outnumbered, or when Spartans are involved, and Elites aren’t.
>
> I feel that because of 343, and the later Halo games Halo will never be the fictional juggernaut it once was. If the mentality behind Halo CE and Halo 2 KEPT, I would consider it still on the level of newer series’ like Mass Effect, and probably easily superior to Star Trek. But as of now Halo is just another gun-ho Marines in space kicking the Yoink! of alleged “superior” alien species’ which actually happen to die by the masses to a single marine, not even a bloody Spartan.
>
> Like the difference between Predator, and Predators. Somewhere along the lines humans went from being realistically limited in physical, technological, and mental capabilities, to instantly being the best of the best who survive anything with little to no real effort. And joke about it to boot.

How does 343 have a ‘style’. They haven’t even made a game yet.

Just because 343’s logo isn’t on the cover of the game doesn’t mean they couldn’t shape the events/plot of the game to some extent.

Considering ownership of the Halo franchise belongs to Microsoft, and even during the creation period of ODST 343 was already beginning to take form, with Frankie leaving Bungie to take a larger role in Halo’s creation. It might be worth pointing out that at the moment Frankie split from Bungie, Bungie had no choice but to begin collaborating with early founders of 343 industries on the plot of each game, in order to avoid future inconsistencies that could lead to Halo’s canon being completely compromised. This leads to things like: 343 perhaps requesting that all the ODSTs survive the events of the game, as 343 wants to use the ODST squad in future projects like, say, ODST 2.

In fact, it is a known FACT that the foundation of 343 was the reason for the Legendary Ending in Halo 3 hinting at the Legendary planet and opening up for Halo 4, because that was meant to be 343’s first real game project. So they had a level of grasp as far back as Halo 3’s production, and plans for 343 Industries to become a full on game developer were already set in stone.

So to say 343 had NO LEVEL OF SAY over events in the plot of ODST and Halo Reach when they DIRECTLY AFFECTED the ending of Halo 3 is completely ignorant.

Frank O’Connor has been the HEAD of Halo Canon since ODST’s development this means EVERYTHING EVERY PIECE OF FICTION for Halo must pass his eyes, and go through any changes he sees fit before it can be published. That included the story of ODST and Reach.

In fact, it is a known FACT that the foundation of 343 was the reason for the Legendary Ending in Halo 3 hinting at the Legendary planet and opening up for Halo 4, because that was meant to be 343’s first real game project

proof?

> > As far as 343 is concerned new Canon > Old Canon. Halo Reach is Canon, and that’s why they rewrote Halo: The Fall of Reach with edits and changes to follow suite with fiction releases since the book came out.
> >
> > Now, I REALLY don’t like where 343 is taking the industry. And I think they had a big effect on the story of ODST and Halo Reach considering both games felt more their “style”. Humanity blatantly being the most superior species that ever existed is 343’s spin. Bungie saw things on a more realistic level. Making other species that were better in different ways, and the Covenant EASILY defeating the UNSC at every encounter with the few exceptions being when they are heavily outnumbered, or when Spartans are involved, and Elites aren’t.
> >
> > I feel that because of 343, and the later Halo games Halo will never be the fictional juggernaut it once was. If the mentality behind Halo CE and Halo 2 KEPT, I would consider it still on the level of newer series’ like Mass Effect, and probably easily superior to Star Trek. But as of now Halo is just another gun-ho Marines in space kicking the Yoink! of alleged “superior” alien species’ which actually happen to die by the masses to a single marine, not even a bloody Spartan.
> >
> > Like the difference between Predator, and Predators. Somewhere along the lines humans went from being realistically limited in physical, technological, and mental capabilities, to instantly being the best of the best who survive anything with little to no real effort. And joke about it to boot.
>
> How does 343 have a ‘style’. They haven’t even made a game yet.

343 has already been responsible for the release of several fictional aspects of Halo such as Halo Evolutions, Halo Legends, Halo Cryptum, and the Halo Graphic Novels, Uprising, Helljumper, Bloodline etc. And yes, they all follow this style I’m talking about, and so will Halo 4.

> Video game came before the books therefore games trump books.

Actually The Fall of Reach book released on October 30th, 2001. Halo: CE (the first game) released a few weeks later on November 15th, 2001.

The proof is all of Bungie’s buildup to the game, even their advertisements all ran under the premise of Master Chief dying, to the point that his death had been DEFINED by the Halo 3 monuments, Master Chief sacrificed himself by arming a Plasma Grenade when he was defeated.

This was changed later to incorporate future plans for Master Chief in the Halo lore. He WAS supposed to die. They didn’t kill him because Microsoft wanted him alive. Bungie even admitted at one point to the Legendary ending leaving an opening for 343 to continue Master Chief’s legacy.

Add to that all those drops that Halo 3 was initially intended to be Bungie’s last work with Halo, they were kept on to produce ODST and Halo Reach by contract. Which both COMPLETELY CHANGED THE FLOW of Halo’s storytelling and lore at the same time 343 ‘took over’ the Halo franchise, but for some reason in the first two years had nothing to show for it? They were working on something, and no it wasn’t Halo 4.

I don’t really see how either Halo: Reach or TFoR conflicts with CE. I think they could both be seen as canon for it, so why does it really matter?

> Viper I think that the book should overwrite the game.

Neither conflict with Halo CE, they conflict with one another.

Fall of Reach and Halo Reach take place in the same timeline, and while they tell different stories, there are key characters and events which occur in both. However these events and characters are completely different between the book and the game.

> Neither conflict with Halo CE, they conflict with one another.
>
> Fall of Reach and Halo Reach take place in the same timeline, and while they tell different stories, there are key characters and events which occur in both. However these events and characters are completely different between the book and the game.

I say for the sake of compromise that they both be allowed to exist as Canon, and people can choose which to believe. That’s a fair compromise in my opinion.

Personally, I choose the books over the Reach game anyday.

gets ready to be trolled