343 - The Saviors of Halo

"Dear 343,

I wholeheartedly believe the following suggestions are of the win-win variety.

Patch in the option to turn damage bleed-through on and off. Fix the bloom (everyone hates it, well not everyone but like 94.72%). Build good maps for 4v4 play. Give us a forge map that doesn’t lag. And if it’s not too much trouble… individual weapon damage modifiers. Some other things here… slightly increase the fuse time for the frag grenades (similar to H:CE), make it so AAs aren’t affected as drastically when speed, gravity and jump settings are modified, more percentage increments in all of the customization options, and uh… that’s about it. If I can formulate some more for you, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Thank you for your time and consideration."

Sincerely,

The Competitive Community

> “Dear 343,
>
> I wholeheartedly believe the following suggestions are of the win-win variety.
>
> Patch in the option to turn damage bleed-through on and off. Fix the bloom (everyone hates it, well not everyone but like 94.72%). Build good maps for 4v4 play. Give us a forge map that doesn’t lag. And if it’s not too much trouble… individual weapon damage modifiers. Some other things here… slightly increase the fuse time for the frag grenades (similar to H:CE), make it so AAs aren’t affected as drastically when speed, gravity and jump settings are modified, more percentage increments in all of the customization options, and uh… that’s about it. If I can formulate some more for you, I’ll be sure to let you know.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration.”
>
> Sincerely,
>
> The Competitive Community

The top three Reach complains: Bloom, Melee and Armor Lock.

To fix the melee, so it doesn’t encourage spriting for the double pummel, it will be bringing melee bleedtrough back or making it take 3 melees to kill.

To fix the bloom, remove it and bring back the static reticle, set fire rate and recoil when people spam too much the trigger, or make it so bullets never go through the center of a bloomed reticle to not promote the randomness that it promotes.

To fix armor lock, then we have to remove some features, such a plasma grenade shedding, so people can feel that old feel of accomplishment when they manage to stick someone, and remove frosting, so people always come one shot from armor lock.

No more slow, luck based and frustraiting gameplay.

-Another competitive Halo player.

I agree with the majority of this. Al but the bloom. Well, sort of disagree. Yes the bloom needs adjusting in ways such as expansion and reset rates as well as emphasizing a steady trigger finger more, so it needs to prioritize firing toward the outside of the exploded reticle more, and as I said, adjust the expansion and reset rates to compensate. But whatever you do, don’t remove it. Bloom adds a whole new dimension to combat and provides a great deal more depth that simply was not there in previous Halo titles. Fix it, but don’t get rid of it.

IMO Bloom slows down gameplay.

They should remove bloom and decrease auto-aim along with bullet magnetism. Make Halo skillful again, please.

> IMO Bloom slows down gameplay.
>
> They should remove bloom and decrease auto-aim along with bullet magnetism. Make Halo skillful again, please.

fixing bloom would add in skill because people would have to pace their shots to win and that takes skill. bloom shouldnt be removed and only tweaked IMO.

as for AL it just sucks because of how it slows down gameplay as well as it dominates melee combat. IMO duration should be 3-4 seconds and EMP should be removed but stun effect stays so it wont dominate CQC. it does have a place in halo but in it’s current state it has no place in this game.

a competative-casual player

Halo is for me a game where i can relax and play some rounds with friends. In reach I can´´t do that because the gameplay is really boring and the whole mp is still unbalanced after a 1/2 year.

Forcing people when to shoot does not allow a person to shoot too soon or too late on their own. I for one do not like having to be the human component for an automated system to work. The less automated a system, the more fun I have operating it.

2 questions about Halo3:

How many of you pull each BR shot 1 for 1? That’s 1 trigger pull per burst.
How many of you pull 2 to 4 (or more) triggers per burst?

> > IMO Bloom slows down gameplay.
> >
> > They should remove bloom and decrease auto-aim along with bullet magnetism. Make Halo skillful again, please.
>
> fixing bloom would add in skill because people would have to pace their shots to win and that takes skill. bloom shouldnt be removed and only tweaked IMO.
>
> as for AL it just sucks because of how it slows down gameplay as well as it dominates melee combat. IMO duration should be 3-4 seconds and EMP should be removed but stun effect stays so it wont dominate CQC. it does have a place in halo but in it’s current state it has no place in this game.
>
> a competative-casual player

I think that a game where you have to actually have AIMING SKILL (basically a game with little autoaim/bullet magnetism) and no bloom will always take more skill than a game with reach’s autoaim and bullet magntism values with a perfect bloom system.

Pacing your shot isn’t all that skillful me thinks. Bloom does more harm then good - yes it takes a skill to pace but it slows down gameplay because you’re pacing your shot.

Anyone else?

I say hell now to making it take 3 melees to kill someone what the hell are you thinking? MLG on reach has that setting and its terrible. Im not to sure what bleed trough is. I just wish it was like halo 2. You shoot them in the head a few times and if there close enough you melee and they are dead.

For the ultimate console shooting experience, I play Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

I love sniping in that game. Getting 600m sniper dome caps is easy in that game, it’s the 1km plus shots make me love the game so much.

My best shot with the sniper was doming a guy at about 1.5km distance away. They were running perpendicular and I was following from behind with the GOL’s scope. Just as I had gotten just past their head, they got behind tree cover. I continued on pace leading further ahead. When it felt right about 2 seconds of loosing the target behind the trees, I took the shot. About a second later, headshot. Many more happy BF tales of using any and all weapons (bronze stared them all after all :wink:

Damn that is a fun game. Halo is too, btw. Love them both. Not so much CoD.

I definitely support the removal of bloom, sorry but 14,000 games between Halo 2 and 3 and only about 1,300 for Reach this far into it definitely proves to me that I find it a lot less fun. It just doesn’t have the replay value of the other 2 when it comes to competitive matchmaking.

I really hope 343 brings back the steady aim system that myself and a lot of competitive Halo players loved. Bloom is just way too random and slows down the gameplay way too much, I feel like im playing WoW when im playing Halo. I miss the run n gun style that Halo made so great. Now slow movement speed, an AA like armor lock, and bloom just make this game seem like a boring marathon more than a competitive sprint.

And I may be alone in this, but honestly, I like it way more without bloom for the reason that it comes down to aim and makes an individual player a lot more threatening. Multikills in Reach are so hard to come by because if you’re getting spammed by 2 players in say FFA, you dont even have a chance because if you want to even have a chance at a kill, you have to pace your shots which at this point you’re already dead. At least in H2 and H3 i could be getting shot by multiple people and somehow manuever my way into a multikill, the previous games’ flow was a lot better in my opinion.

> > > IMO Bloom slows down gameplay.
> > >
> > > They should remove bloom and decrease auto-aim along with bullet magnetism. Make Halo skillful again, please.
> >
> > fixing bloom would add in skill because people would have to pace their shots to win and that takes skill. bloom shouldnt be removed and only tweaked IMO.
> >
> > as for AL it just sucks because of how it slows down gameplay as well as it dominates melee combat. IMO duration should be 3-4 seconds and EMP should be removed but stun effect stays so it wont dominate CQC. it does have a place in halo but in it’s current state it has no place in this game.
> >
> > a competative-casual player
>
> I think that a game where you have to actually have AIMING SKILL (basically a game with little autoaim/bullet magnetism) and no bloom will always take more skill than a game with reach’s autoaim and bullet magntism values with a perfect bloom system.
>
> Pacing your shot isn’t all that skillful me thinks. Bloom does more harm then good - yes it takes a skill to pace but it slows down gameplay because you’re pacing your shot.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, this slow slow gameplay is just brutal. It’s so unhalo that it’s ridiculous. Once you get to the higher competitive level it’s just not a fun game, sure it’s fun to mess around with, but if you care about winning or losing, or getting better at the game, it’s just like mehhh.