343 Should Remake Reach.

I don’t mean 343 should just give it new graphics, (which have not improved much) but they should make reach over again as a whole, we all know most of Reach is not canon. And if it’s accepted as canon then a lot of stuff is messed up. For instance the first wave of spartans trained would not actually be the first, since emile and carter are far to old. And halsey was not aware of the spartan threes at that time.

I want 343 to make it canon, make it about what happened in the books. It would make a far better game,

Hows this for the game, it starts off with the IIs in there room on the Autumn, doing what that do in down time, practicing moves on each other, cleaning weapons, imagine a spartan without armor in fatigues with two others helping him do mantainance, then Keyes enters the room and addresses the Chief like in the book. They get all set to leave and get out to where they are about to jump, then they get the message that Reach is under attack, and out of nowhere someone starts yelling about incomeing fire and it shows a Covenant Carrier baring down on the Autumn, like in the book Cortana takes control of the ship and destroys it.

Then it goes back and you hear Keyes say, this is how the end begins…

Hows that for an opening scene?

Then it jumps to the fleet in orbit getting ready to fight, you get control of a few orbital platforms and take potshots at the enemy fleet, and watch the epic fight from what ever angle you want over fleet com-signals.

The Autumn would have to arrive early in on for the sake of the game, but alot of the fighting in space takes place before then. Rich space combat lots of options in that area, finally when the Autumn arrives back at Reach, you would play as the Chief fighting in space and boarding the station to secure the nav-data from a ship, that could be cut into a few sections between the other IIs landing to defend key Installations under attack by all the dropships that managed to slip past and land.

Over 20 different spartans on the ground fighting so much Covenant that they get pushed underground, imagine setting up minefields and gun inplacements and having massive battlefield setups, it would be great because the book doesnt say what happened on the ground, so go ahead and make stuff up!

Lots of fighting everywhere so no one would get bored, cycle through everything between the spartans on the ground controlling the Autumn and other ships in space, fighter battles, the whole nine yards…

Then the dramatic finish, the Autumn gets hit by the new Covenant super weapon that to me sounds like a giant beam rifle, John and Linda encounter Johnson and his marines one the station, and Linda gets hit, they board a ship and escape to the Pillar of Autumn and John rushs Linda to the cryo room to try and save her life. The last of the spartans on the ground retreat underground and only a few remain… Keyes orders the retreat, Cortana flashes to the battle of Sigma Octanus where they found the artifact that ultimately leads them to halo, and she plots the course, they arrive and say, “what the hell is that?”.

The legendary ending would show Halsey with the last Half dozen IIs underground, discovering the forerunner installation discribed in ‘first strike’.

Maybe not the cleanest discription, but pretty darn good dont you think?

If 343 did this, they would be the best game company ever. I feel betrayed by Bungie. They completely ruined the entire storyline of Halo and walked away with it as if nothing happened.

Reach is canon, game canon apparently overwrites the book canon. Hence why the Reach campaign didn’t make a whole lotta sense.

Oh. Well that’s dissapointing. Since now a lot of stuff is pointless. I still think 343 should remake it and Reach should be forgotten, it was an incredibly sad way to end Halo for Bungie, they should have just stopped at Halo 3.

oke, everything in Reach was cannon.
What wasn’t

And Reach wasn’t master chiefs story but that of noble six and he witnesses the fall of Reach.

All spartans with the exception of Kat are to old to be spartan 3’s since all spartan threes were recruited at the age of 6. And the oldest a spartan 3 could be at the time is 27, and the pillar of autumn which was supposed to be in orbit at the time, never landed. And the rest can only be explained by speculation and no one is certain. Halsey was not even supposed to know of spartan 3’s until she landed on Onyx, which occurred a while after Reach was glassed.

Wait, so when some guy writes a book for a videogame, with no input from the original creators as far as I can tell, and mainly as freelance for Microsoft to make some extra cash on the franchise, that the majority of fans haven’t read, it’s canon? But when the original creators tell a story during that same period, it’s not canon because someone who doesn’t own the franchise did it first?

Even if we went by the games are more important then books thing, a lot of stuff should not have happened. Johnson would never have existed. Everything that happens in books after the fall of reach is apparently wrong as well.

> it was an incredibly sad way to end Halo for Bungie

…you mean full circle to Halo 1? That’s a bad way to end a franchise?

> Wait, so when some guy writes a book for a videogame, with no input from the original creators as far as I can tell, and mainly as freelance for Microsoft to make some extra cash on the franchise, that the majority of fans haven’t read, it’s canon? But when the original creators tell a story during that same period, it’s not canon because someone who doesn’t own the franchise did it first?

All books are supposed to be canon, I am pretty sure the authors wrote with plenty of input from Bungie. And everything in the books went perfectly with the games and nothing overlapped or contradicted other things, that was until Reach came out, now we are supposed to just ignore all the books and they are all wrong. Which makes a ton of stuff wrong, There is more story in the books then in the games, the Halo canon has essentially been sliced in half.

> > it was an incredibly sad way to end Halo for Bungie
>
> …you mean full circle to Halo 1? That’s a bad way to end a franchise?

No, it’s the the way they made Reach, Reach would have been great if they kept the books canon, because up until that point they had gone along with each-other quite nicely, The only good thing about Reach was multiplayer, Bungie did a lot of stuff wrong with this game because they could easily get away with it.

Bungie intended the games to be canonical. After the books started coming out and the writers began taking creative liberties with them, I believe Bungie stated somewhere that the games override the books.

No, they will just take everything out like they did in 4. I do not trust them as the new owners of Halo so until they proove that they can do this by Halo 5 I will just quit.

Canon is subjective, really. You can cherry-pick whatever bits of canon you wish and make a personal choice as to which canon overrules other canon. People have been doing it for centuries, it’s not such a big deal. Personally, I pretend Halo: Reach never happened and focus solely on the original edition of Halo: The Fall of Reach when considering that area of the universe.

But yes, I think Halo: Reach should be entirely remade. It’s an abomination, especially story-wise, but also in terms of gameplay. The book definitely told a better story, in my opinion, and such a remake should reflect that. It’s extremely unlikely that any such venture will occur, however.

Best to ignore any contradictions in any of the books.

and revel in the bundle of joy that is Halo: Reach.

It’s Ace.

> > Wait, so when some guy writes a book for a videogame, with no input from the original creators as far as I can tell, and mainly as freelance for Microsoft to make some extra cash on the franchise, that the majority of fans haven’t read, it’s canon? But when the original creators tell a story during that same period, it’s not canon because someone who doesn’t own the franchise did it first?
>
> <mark>All books are supposed to be canon</mark>, I am pretty sure the authors wrote with plenty of input from Bungie. And everything in the books went perfectly with the games and nothing overlapped or contradicted other things, that was until Reach came out, now we are supposed to just ignore all the books and they are all wrong. Which makes a ton of stuff wrong, There is more story in the books then in the games, the Halo canon has essentially been sliced in half.

Yes, but games take priority in terms of canon. It’s like how anything George Lucas said in terms of Star Wars took priority over everything.

> Bungie intended the games to be canonical. After the books started coming out and the writers began taking creative liberties with them, I believe Bungie stated somewhere that the games override the books.

This.
Game trumps book as far as canon. It has been stated by bungie and 343i, numerous times.

> This.
> Game trumps book as far as canon. It has been stated by bungie and 343i, numerous times.

I guess… MS, Bungie and 343 can do anything they want, but there are consequences for any action. Losing the canon folks could be one of them.

Encyclopedias are generally known as the source for facts (or science fiction facts). Those behind science fiction classics like Star Trek, Star Wars and others each created an “encyclopedia”, which was/is used to create a uniformity in story between episodes, books and movies. Gene Roddenberry, for example, created a complete technical manual for the Enterprise before the first screenplay was written. This allowed writers to follow a rule-set that kept the more techie among the fan base invested in the fictional story. Good science fiction makes sense.

Published and Copyrighted by MS in 2009, the “Halo Encyclopedia, The Definitive Guide to the Halo Universe” was created to provide an anchor to the core Halo canon. Page 198 discusses the fall of Reach, and how Spartan IIs were a part of the ground engagement - following writer Eric Nylund’s narrative in his book “The Fall of Reach”. Like was already mentioned, the Spartan IIIs were too young and too few at that time, as well as being light years away from Reach.

Eric Nylund’s book “The Fall of Reach” could have been an epic movie, the first of several that I can imagine being made. MS/343 fret over the piddly cash from DLC when a long-term series of movies would have made billions. Imagine the possibiities for simultaneously releasing a Cameron or Jackson produced Halo movie to theatres in parallel to a full-featured Xbox game.

I personally choose the let books overwrite game, so Halo reach never happened, but it would still make no sense, if the fall of reach is wrong, then everything after is, and some of that coincides with the game. So that stuff would be wrong as well…

Regardless I think a Remake of reach should still happen, I agree 343 might not be trustworthy, but pretty much anything they replace it with should be better. I would probably play the Halo reach remake more then anything, if it went along with the book that is. Hopefully 343 does better on Halo 5 and will consider making games based on the books. Because some of the stuff from the books is better then the actual games. Just imagine some of the epic battles with other highly trained spartan 2’s, or even the training missions, some of those are more action packed then certain areas in the games. Like a game made based on ghosts of Onyx would be awesome, assuming they put effort into it and don’t cut a lot of stuff just to release the game sooner.

In answer to you OP i dont think 343i should remake Halo Reach yet. Instead they should be spending all their resources to try and save the halo franchise from ruin by making a Halo game HALO and not what we have with Halo 4. They failed dismally in trying to woo COD players across with all the new features in the game. Those guy didnt hang around and went back to COD and BOPS. At the same time they alienated a lot of core Halo 2,3 and Reach players like myself that were attracted to the game in first place because it is HALO and not another shooter.

> oke, everything in Reach was cannon.
> What wasn’t
>
> And Reach wasn’t master chiefs story but that of noble six and he witnesses the fall of Reach.

I’m not sure if you know this or not, but the original Fall of Reach novel (originally written and published way back in 2001) was about the events leading up to Halo CE and was about Master Chief and the origins of the SPARTAN IIs. Noble Team, let alone Noble 6, was never mentioned in it.
There are many other story inconsistencies that are contradicted by the Halo Reach campaign, such as Cortana being taken to the Pillar of Autumn by Noble team. In the novel, Cortana was already on the Pillar of Autumn (unlike in the game) and had already had previous missions with Master Chief. You should read the book for yourself, you will be amazed at exactly how much the game and novel don’t match up.