343 servers

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

343, i just wanted to tell you, that given the way your waypoint servers work. Please do not go to dedicated servers with Halo 4, We will be fine with P2P thank you. I don’t mean to be mean, just saying, this is the worst i have seen.

Just a downside of some maintenance, probably won’t be fixed for a few days due to most of 343i going to E3.

Dedicated servers have been confirmed to NOT be in Halo 4 also.

> Just a downside of some maintenance, probably won’t be fixed for a few days due to most of 343i going to E3.
>
> Dedicated servers have been confirmed to NOT be in Halo 4 also.

Warhorse, what Moa says here is truth. no update is easily transitioned without some form of backlash. Programmers try their best to minimize this but no one is perfect. Just bear with it, things will get back to normal and then you’ll forget this ever happened…

> > Just a downside of some maintenance, probably won’t be fixed for a few days due to most of 343i going to E3.
> >
> > Dedicated servers have been confirmed to NOT be in Halo 4 also.
>
> Warhorse, what Moa says here is truth. no update is easily transitioned without some form of backlash. Programmers try their best to minimize this but no one is perfect. Just bear with it, things will get back to normal and then you’ll forget this ever happened…

I understand, but normal for waypoint is still pretty sorry by comparison to other public sites. This site always has the worst lag of any i visit.

> > > Just a downside of some maintenance, probably won’t be fixed for a few days due to most of 343i going to E3.
> > >
> > > Dedicated servers have been confirmed to NOT be in Halo 4 also.
> >
> > Warhorse, what Moa says here is truth. no update is easily transitioned without some form of backlash. Programmers try their best to minimize this but no one is perfect. Just bear with it, things will get back to normal and then you’ll forget this ever happened…
>
> I understand, but normal for waypoint is still pretty sorry by comparison to other public sites. This site always has the worst lag of any i visit.

Moa has already cleared up the dedicated servers thing, but you should know that a Multiplayer-formatted server and a website host-server are two different things.

The Multiplayer Server is told to host a bunch of information, and they’re actually made to hold around 10,000 people each at one time; but realistically, you should only go with half of that, maybe even a quarter for optimal performance.
A Website Server is created to host Traffic. This means that there is a limit to the number of people, but the difference is it does not retain any info other than you being there before. A Multiplayer Server is designed to hold information directly related to everything about anyone that has ever been online on that server. This would include stats, the name of the user, and a general location of where they are in the world (for more stats, essentially, but ones that YOU cannot see). However, you can place limitations on both to limit the number of people available on each server.

Other than all the technical stuff, the reason for the website running slow is this: Think of building an entire website using HTML/CSS coding, without ever putting it online once before its release. Once it’s done, you smack it online (the full website). The website will experience major lag problems, and will most likely go down quite a few times in the same first two weeks (maybe a month, depending on the size of a website). It’s like trying to input a full encyclopedia’s knowledge base into your brain; at one time.

The Forums are basically the size of any basic website. And they just took it down, fixed some issues (made changes), and put it all back up again in one go.

And yes, that does mean they just put all of Olson’s Standard Book Of British Birds in their head at one time. That is, the expurgated version. The one without the gannet.