343, Please stop with the "unique gameplay" aka the hexagons

The hex pillars or any of the pillars are just super lazy game design. Yeah its “unique gameplay” because no other big game compony has dared to be this lazy.

6 Likes

What are you talking about?

2 Likes

Probably those hexagonal pillars that appear on the edges of the map in Behemoth and several locations in Fragmentation. I don’t know where 343 Industries said this was “unique gameplay” or rigorously developed design, but if the OP could tell us it’d be good to know.

Of all the things to criticise 343i for, this ain’t it, chief.

11 Likes

I thought it made sense given that’s how the terrain of Zeta Halo is being generated. I also like it aesthetically. Reminds me of Giant’s Causeway, which very well could be the inspiration.

6 Likes

Giant’s Causeway is easily the inspiration, it’s used in a lot of sci-fi and fantasy works. And yeah, it is beautiful to behold. I don’t know what the problem is, tbh.

3 Likes

Sounds like static art/map design as opposed to a gameplay element.

Tzar_mormae is an “Elite player” …yea ok

can’t even handle a little hexagonal map design, sheesh

1 Like

Garbage thread

(20 char)

For example, world of warcraft’s newest expansion is using hexagon pillars for “an alien, otherworldly feel” so it’s just the next trend, same as open worlds. I know it’s uncommon to do research before putting your opinion on a forum but… here we are. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What exactly is wrong with Hexagons?

I think it’s definitely unique and the way it’s handled in the campaign makes it alright for traversal, but I think the environments in general could be made to feel more varied throughout the duration of it. The lack of weather or really any meaningful changes occurring to the landscape I can see as pretty boring.

A thing I don’t really get is the caves and stuff that occur inside of the hexagon pillars. Like, why are there ‘caves’ just. In the middle of these massive floating pillars?

1 Like

Hexagon is Bestagon.

3 Likes

Listen I dont have a lot to complain about this game. But the hexpillars are just filler. In the first trailer for Halo Infinite did you see any of the hexpillars? To save some time the answer is no. How about in Halo 3 when Spark is rebuilding his Halo? Nope the are none there so what else is the hexpillars for? I dont have a big problem with this clear filler but I dont want such an abundance of these pillars.

1 Like

What dose me being an “Elite player” have to do with this, and I can handle it im just getting it out there.

1 Like

Im just trying to get all my problems out weather their small or big.

The problem isn’t the use of Hexagons.

The problem is the Overuse in that they are everywhere and just are too prevalent in the environment and it creates unbalanced aesthetics and an overreliance on the Hexagon Pillars as a an architectural feature

2 Likes

I know I would not have a problem otherwise

1 Like

The lack of variety is correct and what I think OP means is that there are just too many Hexagons.

The Hexagons need to be combined with other Forerunner elements used together so the structures feel more natural and differentiated.

The Second level did a great job with the Hexagons, with Big and medium Hexagons, other Forerunner structures used with the Hex Pillars and the arrengements of the pillars made sense.
.the Open world with the Hex Pillars has excessive use, they run WAYYYY deep below the islands so it looks ridiculous where instead they should taper off like an Iceberg does, and there should be more practical uses for the Hexagons besides just walls, structures and barriers for the edges

3 Likes

Yeah I suspended my disbelief because I figured that’s just what the rings were made of. Didn’t really think one way or another about it but everything does look a bit ‘convenient for making a videogame’.

2 Likes

EXACTLY. The pillars hurt the suspension of disbelief because they run top to bottom in the islands and appear to run top to bottom in the main destroyed edge of the Ring, whereas the Space view of the Ring damage has what the Damaged part of the Main ring should actually look like with details in the edges, bent metal, and random pieces of the ring that stick out.

Instead of the Islands having JUST side walls of half a kilometer of Hex Pillars it should have tapered and have to rocks interwoven into the base along with more variety deeper down in the island and destroyed pieces so it didn’t feel like the Ring Islands were just made of Hex pillars and nothing else

3 Likes