343 please speed up Halo Reach's gameplay

[(http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=55719680)]This topic is now the #1 thread on Bnet and MLGpro on discussing the current speed of Halo Reach’s gameplay.]([http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=55719680)

Update 02/20/2011
Classic Firefight added!
Update 02/19/2011
Official MLG thread!
New Videos
Classic Free for All
Classic TS Settings
1v1 on The Pit Remake
TS on The Pit with Classic Settings NOW RENDERED!!!
Before you read this post, listen to this recent quote from Frank O Connor.
O’Connor told Xbox World 360: "Honestly, the secret of Halo’s success is that it has something for everyone - a deep, rewarding sandbox of engaging vehicles, cool weapons and challenging AI, [as well as] a sense of mystery and wonder for folks who would like that sort of thing.

Notice the bolded text on the quote. That is the #1 problem with Reach, because its appeal is far more limited than the previous Halo games. No one will admit it, but its the slower pace of Reach’s gameplay that has a lot to do with it.
Kill times on normal weapons must be buffed. And none of this “tweak damage settings” I mean a full on official buff of kill times in general to speed up gameplay and bring back most importantly, the Classic Halo balance that has been present in nearly every Halo game.
It will fix 98% of the problems in Reach almost instantly. People complaining about the bloom spam, will finally have their timed shots rewarded by kills again and again.
Imbalanced gametypes such as Invasion Slayer and Slayer DMRS will finally be enjoyable, with a close and even match regardless of what team your on.
343 its very simple, give us kill times like Halo CE, and watch millions and I mean MILLIONS come flocking to Halo Reach.

THIS NEEDS TO BE MADE PERFECTLY CLEAR: The goal of this thread is to get kill times in the H2 and CE ranges. This is NOT another thread for you to say Halo > CoD or CoD > Halo, it has NO place in this topic.
This is the proposal, in every last detail for you. Please read it before you post:
DMR buffed to 4 shot weapon
Pistol buffed to 4 shot weapon
NR buffed to 5 shot weapon (because its the slowest kill time currently, but the most accurate precision weapon in Reach)
AR buffed considerably to even it out with all precision weapons
All Covenant default weapons buffed significantly to make Invasion, Firefight Versus and Elite Slayer fair and balanced for everyone.
Focus Rifle buffed to 125% damage status, to give it balanced properties with the current Sniper Rifle.
All power weapons kept the same, this buff is for regular weapons ONLY.
Nerf the Frags!!! Oh Bungie please…nerf the frags.
All vehicles given buffs to give them considerable resistance against the newly buffed weapons to encourage team shooting in BTB matches.
Thats it, that is what I’m proposing, no insane buffs, no overpowered weapons. Let me state this clearly, ALL DEFAULT WEAPONS TO BE BUFFED, NOT JUST THE DMR.
Tested settings in Customs
Grenades absolutely need nerfing. No way around this Bungie.
Damage: 125%
Resistance/Health: 110%
Shield Recharge: 110% Faster
Health Recharge: 110% Faster
Melee: 75%
Everything works like a dream with these settings, except frags imbalance it completely. Simply nerfing the frags slightly will make this proposal for faster kill times 100% easy.
**Under regular Reach settings…Dmr 5 shot spam takes 1.6 s, semi-spam takes 1.9, reach AR takes 2Br 4 shot killed in 1.2 s, H3 AR killed in just under 1.5Halo CE: pistol killed in .6 s, AR killed in 1Add in the AAs and the fact that power weapons and nades are better than ever, and you begin to see how underpowered normal weapons are, if somehow you didn’t notice it before.
The 1v1 I linked to in the video was one the best 1v1 experiences I’ve had in a Halo game, and that is saying alot. It really shows just how well Reach can pull off the Classic Halo feel with the right settings and kill times.
Please read before commenting, thank you. Lets keep this thread constructive so that Bungie will take it seriously and not regulate it to locked status. That is not productive or helpful to anyone. If you disagree, keep the arguments in relation to Halo and Halo alone.

Thank you Topic fade for these pre-rendered videos!

This idea:

1. Isn’t about Bloom2) Isn’t about AL3) Isn’t about the complaint topics listed a million times
    This proposal changes nothing about Halo Reach’s mechanics, and would be the easiest improvement implemented.

The Classic Playlist now has official support from Bungie, and it was one of the most requested features in Halo Reach by the community. Why? Because the thread didn’t devolve into an argument thread, people kept it constructive and made the appeal good to Bungie.
Keep in mind, the thread that he posted this in was not the original thread supporting a Classic Playlist. It was only after Already Adapted’s thread received well over 1000 posts in support that Bungie jumped in. Of course not everyone supported it but that wasn’t the point. The point was…it got attention!

Most importantly, this is the one request by the community that changes nothing about the core aspects of Reach. We are respecting Bungie’s design, only giving it a greater sense of speed, skill and fun. Our change is not extreme, it has already been tested by multiple users and can easily be implemented without a patch.

Let me state that once more, our proposal does NOT change the mechanics of how Reach works, it only improve the speed and flow of gameplay, all design aspects remaining intact.
Please 343 Industries, the time is now, speed up Reach’s gameplay!!!

Original thread: [http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=55719680]](http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=55719680)

I support this thread. Let’s also get the next Halo running on 60fps.

> I support this thread. Let’s also get the next Halo running on 60fps.

I completely agree, I played the classic settings in the optimatch thread and it was a blast! Reach’s gameplay is far tooo sloowwww, the Halo that I know and love is a fast paced action filled battle everytime a 4 v 4 occurs… it doesn’t feel this way in Reach.

I agree with your main point, and that is speeding up kill times on Reach. But I disagree with some of your specs. Keep in mind my opinions come from a long time Halo:CE fan, and have felt that every Halo after has missed an essential element of CE. Kill time’s are sooo long in Reach, that this is the first Halo game that i have given up on, and the first Halo game that i have not and will not buy addition map packs. Take that as you like, but to me and many other hardcore halo fans, Reach is a chore instead of fun to play.

What make’s Reach even unplayable in custom settings, is that it does not allow for a shot’s to kill spacing with the DMR in the ratio of 3/5 or 4/6 (3 shots to kill when the last is a head shot, and 2 additional shots to kill if all shots are to the body). Reach allows for a 5/7 shots to kill ratio, but no matter how you adjust the weapon damage and health, the best you can get is a 3/4 or 4/5. This kind of ratio makes it pointless to go for the final head shot. For some odd reason, increasing the health also increases shield strength, doing this makes so that it is impossible to get a 3/5 or 4/6 shot’s to kill with the DMR.

I do not feel that these setting solve the problem:

Resistance/Health: 110%
Shield Recharge: 110% Faster
Health Recharge: 110% Faster
Melee: 75%
Everything works like a dream with these settings, except frags imbalance it completely. Simply nerfing the frags slightly will make this proposal for faster kill times 100% easy.

The shots to kill is still 5/7. We need the option to make the DMR a 3/5 shots to kill, but at the same time being able to reduce the damage of the grenades so that it is not an instant kill.

Halo:CE was the perfect mix of hardcore and casual MP (loved by the hardcore crowd because of it’s large skill gap, and loved by the casual because it just played so well and was fun). CE’s pistol was a 3/5 shots to kill and at a much faster rate of fire then the DMR, along with no bloom. Learn from the past so that you don’t keep on making the same mistakes (like BUNGIE has in their Halo games after CE).

> I support this thread. Let’s also get the next Halo running on 60fps.

That would also be awesome, although in defense of 30 FPS, I really enjoy the cinematic feel that it gives to the experience.

The reason that all of the Halo games have been 30fps is not for the “cinamatic feel”, but because the games engine cannot handle anything sustained above 30fps. The would be sweet as hell if Halo was 60fps, but due to the limitations of consoles, they would have to lower the native resolution even lower and cut back on other effects.

The slow pace is the only reason that this game isn’t as incredible as it should be. Even with the bloom, if kill times were short, people would enjoy themselves more. Nobody likes to fight with someone for 3 seconds in a game where every second counts and someone often comes in and interrupts. It is impossible to finish a one on one fight in FFA because as soon as a battle starts, since it takes forever, 90% ofthe time, someone will come in during the fight and shoot at one of the two people and then clean up the other one.

Slow paced gameplay doesn’t work for halo. People want to get kills fast, in both a fun and skillful way.

> The slow pace is the only reason that this game isn’t as incredible as it should be. Even with the bloom, if kill times were short, people would enjoy themselves more. Nobody likes to fight with someone for 3 seconds in a game where every second counts and someone often comes in and interrupts. It is impossible to finish a one on one fight in FFA because as soon as a battle starts, since it takes forever, 90% ofthe time, someone will come in during the fight and shoot at one of the two people and then clean up the other one.
>
> Slow paced gameplay doesn’t work for halo. People want to get kills fast, in both a fun and skillful way.

This.