343 please make MC cool again.

I played Halo 1 and Halo 2 and found Master Chief to be uber cool. Then at the start of Halo 3 Bungie took all that away as it became apparent that all his kick assness that made him cool was down to “LUCK” how lame is that. You can’t have a charachter completely dominate an alien race then say it was down to luck.

And once more it’s almost saying that all the effort you made as a gamer playing through the hours of campaign was not personal skill or strategy but you just got lucky.

Does anyone agree or am I looking too much into this?

John was stated to be lucky since The Fall of Reach was out, by the time of Halo CE. Cortana means John wasn’t excepcional as Spartan, but he had luck, she wasn’t saying John had made it all thanks to his luck.

john is a bad–Yoink- spartan. but the only thing that makes him better than the other spartans is luck.

When was Master Chief NOT cool?

John is awesome, he just didn’t excell in areas like Kelly with running, or Linda with Sniping. What seperated him from all others was that he was the luckiest SOB ever.

OP you are misunderstanding what Halo 3’s opening was saying.

The Master Chief is a skilled spartan, arguably the best, but luck is what separates him from the rest. Luck is why, on top if his badassness, he will win the war.

In my opinion, John stopped being cool when he said things like “Tell that to the Covenant.”

Ha ha. Soooooo funny. Not. I actually found those stupid one-liners to be a break from character, and while that was mostly rectified in Halo 3, he still needed to get back up to full Combat Evolved capacity (that is, only saying things of significance). If 343 Industries can bring back the subtle Chief that was well-established in the novels (barring The Flood), then I’ll be a happy camper.

> When was Master Chief NOT cool?
>
> John is awesome, he just didn’t excell in areas like Kelly with running, or Linda with Sniping. What seperated him from all others was that he was the luckiest SOB ever.

But really, he doesn’t seem to be. I’m awaiting the Anniversary terminals, but it sounds like all this “luck” the Master Chief has was actually quite set up by the Forerunners, judging by what Spark is saying. It’ll be kind of funny, actually, if 343 retcons the whole “luck” thing and turns it into Forerunner scheming.

The only parts Master Chief wasn’t cool in were the last ones of Halo 3’s campaign, in my opinion, but I wasn’t his luck’s fault.

> But really, he doesn’t seem to be. I’m awaiting the Anniversary terminals, but it sounds like all this “luck” the Master Chief has was actually quite set up by the Forerunners, judging by what Spark is saying. It’ll be kind of funny, actually, if 343 retcons the whole “luck” thing and turns it into Forerunner scheming.

He had it long before been turned into a Spartan, first showed when Halsey picked John for the SPARTAN-II program (I don’t want to say what could be a spoiler for some people here). It’d be fine if they stated it was caused by some Forerunner plan or power, but it doesn’t seem likely.

But Chief isn’t a cool or interesting character. He has the personality of a brick and spouts off one-liners, not very great characterization.

Luck? Chief won because the Covies were lax. The bridge battles in the Citadel were nice and all, but hardly my idea of an epic final battle. I would have liked waves of Phantoms, like on Crow’s Nest, not just bridge occupiers. The entire fleet could not have possibly been destroyed, as there wouldn’t have been Scarabs dropped off.

Also, Chief’s movement speed and jump height from Halo 2 was reduced, making him feel less godly. Luck wasn’t the only factor that diminished his bad–Yoink–ness.

I like his dry sense of humour.

343: It seems I was mistaken.
John: That’s a first.

I thought Master Chief was at his peak of badassery in Halo 2. Great one-liners, epic cutscene moments and his inspiring ability to face the craziest things possible and still come out alive. Yeah, he doesn’t really get much better than he did in Halo 2.