343 Please listen to Ninja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgOpZshQL3g

Yes, it’s a CoD gameplay video but listen to Ninja’s commentary. He, like myself and many other Halo fans WANT Halo 5 to succeed like H3.

You had HALF A MILLION players release week. If you had kept a mere half of them Halo 4 would not be a dead game in a dying series. Give us a finished multiplayer product this time, encourage competition, tournaments, etc.

Use the game menus to promote the community! When players enter the war games menu, why not provide up-to-date ads with info on tournaments going on now that people can tune into on Twitch.tv? Take this pic from Starcraft 2’s battlenet menu to see how they can use the game to promote itself.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/_cb20090827205139/starcraft/images/e/eb/Battle.net_002-_Dashboard.jpg

It’s hard to have a game in MLG and other gaming associations because you can’t just pay them to host a tournament your game needs to be popular and interesting enough to be picked. MLG never really even bothered with halo 2, when halo 3 came out that’s when it became the competitive frontier for halo and reach had MLG tournaments as well but people weren’t as interested and halo 4 lost it all unfortunately

It be interesting to see community integration taken in-game (not just in-blog), but I don’t think that’s a sufficient Band-Aid for Halo. We have an old franchise, I think the oldest of any mainstream shooter that’s been in continuous operation (Doom, Unreal, Quake, Jedi Knights, they’ve all fallen by the wayside.) As such the most fundamental conventions it uses to structure its gameplay need to be re-examined in light of not only its age but mass extinction event taking place in its genre. To put it very simply, there’s a relative lack of interest these days in Halo but that might run far deeper from people finding it hard to get involved in the various niche projects going on in the community. It might be the game itself, not it’s variations, not its promotions, but Halo may be the problem with the lagging population.

> It’s hard to have a game in MLG and other gaming associations because you can’t just pay them to host a tournament your game needs to be popular and interesting enough to be picked. MLG never really even bothered with halo 2, when halo 3 came out that’s when it became the competitive frontier for halo and reach had MLG tournaments as well but people weren’t as interested and halo 4 lost it all unfortunately

Not necessarily. A game can be on MLG’s circuit in one of two ways. Either there’s enough of an audience for the game to fund itself through ad revenue and community participation like Halo 2 and 3. Or it can be developer supported to be on the circuit like Starcraft 2 (until Blizzard stopped).

The population is still there for Halo 5 to pay its way there. Halo 5 just has to be designed well and be a finished and good product on release day to maintain high MM pop numbers like 2 and 3 did. With a big MM community, you have a big competitive community, with that you get people interested in competitive Halo who will watch players stream MM and watch events live who in turn generate ad revenue for companies to sponsor Halo and the players.

> It be interesting to see community integration taken in-game (not just in-blog), but I don’t think that’s a sufficient Band-Aid for Halo. We have an old franchise, I think the oldest of any mainstream shooter that’s been in continuous operation (Doom, Unreal, Quake, Jedi Knights, they’ve all fallen by the wayside.) As such the most fundamental conventions it uses to structure its gameplay need to be re-examined in light of not only its age but mass extinction event taking place in its genre. To put it very simply, there’s a relative lack of interest these days in Halo but that might run far deeper from people finding it hard to get involved in the various niche projects going on in the community. It might be the game itself, not it’s variations, not its promotions, but Halo may be the problem with the lagging population.

Microsoft don’t do halo any favours though, I’ve never really seen them promote any halo tournaments on Xbox. Using the xbox event app they have on the 360, that was used for E3 and xbox events. They could use that to promote a halo tournament but they never did

> Microsoft don’t do halo any favours though, I’ve never really seen them promote any halo tournaments on Xbox. Using the xbox event app they have on the 360, that was used for E3 and xbox events. They could use that to promote a halo tournament but they never did

And that is a shame, the event app could be put to much greater uses especially where it features one of Microsoft’s own properties. But they did market the game, they did hold plenty of press events and in their E3 coverage I do believe they gave Halo 4 its due. That isn’t to say “they did enough,” as we both agree they could certainly do more with their community resources (what about retrospective stuff? Vidocs and after-the-fact coverage of Halo events accessible through a general hub (ie. Xbox TV) rather than hidden away on waypoint?), but I would personally be just a bit more charitable towards what MS has done already.

> Use the game menus to promote the community! When players enter the war games menu, why not provide up-to-date ads with info on tournaments going on now that people can tune into on Twitch.tv? Take this pic from Starcraft 2’s battlenet menu to see how they can use the game to promote itself.

Because promoting isn’t what made it fun, the problem is the gameplay, the graphics could have been similar to Halo 1/2/3 and wouldn’t have been fun if they had used what they did with Reach/4, my point is they need to understanding the foundations before trying to implement new ideas then work on that then work on new innovations.

> > Microsoft don’t do halo any favours though, I’ve never really seen them promote any halo tournaments on Xbox. Using the xbox event app they have on the 360, that was used for E3 and xbox events. They could use that to promote a halo tournament but they never did
>
> And that is a shame, the event app could be put to much greater uses especially where it features one of Microsoft’s own properties. But they did market the game, they did hold plenty of press events and in their E3 coverage I do believe they gave Halo 4 its due. That isn’t to say “they did enough,” as we both agree they could certainly do more with their community resources (what about retrospective stuff? Vidocs and after-the-fact coverage of Halo events accessible through a general hub (ie. Xbox TV) rather than hidden away on waypoint?), but I would personally be just a bit more charitable towards what MS has done already.

It’s a two way deal though, MS are only going to get as much effort as they are willing to put in. The halo T.V is cool but seeing the forward onto to dawn stuff has me worried about the acting because the actors just seemed out of place but I love the halo legends stuff, as long as Stephen doesn’t invite his good old friend Michael Bay to help out I’m sure the show will be good :slight_smile:

> > Use the game menus to promote the community! When players enter the war games menu, why not provide up-to-date ads with info on tournaments going on now that people can tune into on Twitch.tv? Take this pic from Starcraft 2’s battlenet menu to see how they can use the game to promote itself.
>
> Because promoting isn’t what made it fun, the problem is the gameplay, the graphics could have been similar to Halo 1/2/3 and wouldn’t have been fun if they had used what they did with Reach/4, my point is they need to understanding the foundations before trying to implement new ideas then work on that then work on new innovations.

It’s does need promoting though that’s the thing, you know that we talking about getting people hyped into watching and taking part in tournaments. It’s brings more competitiveness into halo because people might like watching the tournament and then decide to go out and buy this game. How do you think games like league of legends are so popular?

> > > Use the game menus to promote the community! When players enter the war games menu, why not provide up-to-date ads with info on tournaments going on now that people can tune into on Twitch.tv? Take this pic from Starcraft 2’s battlenet menu to see how they can use the game to promote itself.
> >
> > Because promoting isn’t what made it fun, the problem is the gameplay, the graphics could have been similar to Halo 1/2/3 and wouldn’t have been fun if they had used what they did with Reach/4, my point is they need to understanding the foundations before trying to implement new ideas then work on that then work on new innovations.
>
> It’s does need promoting though that’s the thing, you know that we talking about getting people hyped into watching and taking part in tournaments. It’s brings more competitiveness into halo because people might like watching the tournament and then decide to go out and buy this game. How do you think games like league of legends are so popular?

I’m not denying the promotion but that’s another teams job, the people that are designing on the game itself are the one’s that need to be focused on the gameplay, if we want a more social community again then we need to bring back the community challenges, I mean stuff like the old Vidmaster challenges where people needed 4 people for Halo3,Odst but this only work if the ‘foundation’ of the game is worked on first because at the moment barely anyone is interested in the Halo 4 version.

> It’s does need promoting though that’s the thing, you know that we talking about getting people hyped into watching and taking part in tournaments. It’s brings more competitiveness into halo because people might like watching the tournament and then decide to go out and buy this game. How do you think games like league of legends are so popular?

Indeed, we shouldn’t be so quick to write off the need for self-promotion for a game whose fortunes are ultimately decided by mob appeal. You may “fix” Halo but if you do nothing to help people see what that means you may still finish with underwhelming online populations and relative obscurity in the various scenes of gaming.

This is, after all, a social medium. Image may well mean more than mechanics.

The thing is, 343 promised a lot of this things. They promised things like the clan system in Halo 2.

> The thing is, 343 promised a lot of this things. They promised things like the clan system in Halo 2.

Well, did they really promise it or just say something along the lines of “we’re looking into it.” I don’t recall any talk of clan systems but I suspect that, if there was, it was the latter. They may have strenuously oversold parts of the game (ex. SOPS), but I don’t think 343 pulled a Bungie (given what those guys said about Reach.)

I dunno why but I find it funny when people make clans . I have played world of Warcraft in the past when I was 14 because it was the only thing that my computer could run and comparing a clan to a guild just seems funny to me. Most people see clans as competitive but I see them as a social thing but with halo forums and xbox live in general has made clans seem pointless to me but that’s just my opinion don’t treat it as fact or anything :slight_smile:

I think by reading all these posts, i forgot what the topic was…oh wait, we want halo to do well… even those COD players want that too. Sooo, that means 2 things, either Halo in their eyes was a better game than COD in the past or COD just became worse than halo. lol.

I have a few things to say for 343.

Innovate, just dont go too far from the original sandbox, every halo needs innovation. Suprise us, with THINGS WE WILL LIKE.

Listen to your fanbase. Somethings are quite OBVIOUSLY WANTED BY THE COMMUNITY

Make a good halo story, duh

DONT RUSH THE GAME

Make fixes…ask the community for feedback, and then if the decisions are unpopular, CHANGE IT BACK

Reitroduce old things and see how the community responds…really

> It’s hard to have a game in MLG and other gaming associations because you can’t just pay them to host a tournament your game needs to be popular and interesting enough to be picked. MLG never really even bothered with halo 2, when halo 3 came out that’s when it became the competitive frontier for halo and reach had MLG tournaments as well but people weren’t as interested and halo 4 lost it all unfortunately

You’re sadly missinformed. MLG headlined with Halo CE, 2, AND 3. In fact if it wasn’t for Halo CE, MLG never would have taken off the way it did. Most of the well known MLG pros have their roots in the Halo CE and 2 era, Roy and Lunchbox, Ogre 1 and 2, Gandhi, T2, Snipedown, tons of these pros started back in Halo CE.

Halo Reach was the first “stopping point” for MLG Halo, if it wasn’t for the Zero Bloom TU, Reach would have dropped right off the circuit long before Halo 4 even came out.

> > It’s hard to have a game in MLG and other gaming associations because you can’t just pay them to host a tournament your game needs to be popular and interesting enough to be picked. MLG never really even bothered with halo 2, when halo 3 came out that’s when it became the competitive frontier for halo and reach had MLG tournaments as well but people weren’t as interested and halo 4 lost it all unfortunately
>
> You’re sadly missinformed. MLG headlined with Halo CE, 2, AND 3. In fact if it wasn’t for Halo CE, MLG never would have taken off the way it did. Most of the well known MLG pros have their roots in the Halo CE and 2 era, Roy and Lunchbox, Ogre 1 and 2, Gandhi, T2, Snipedown, tons of these pros started back in Halo CE.
>
> Halo Reach was the first “stopping point” for MLG Halo, if it wasn’t for the Zero Bloom TU, Reach would have dropped right off the circuit long before Halo 4 even came out.

This.

The MLG Halo community isn’t dead, it’s in a coma. All we need is a solid, viable competitive Halo game to be released with good multiplayer settings, good maps and an active MM maintenance team at 343 who instead of wasting their time on rotational playlists focus on perfecting the game’s mainstay playlists.

Do this, and keep half your damn launch population like old Halos and you’ll see MLG Halo come back to life as old pros return to the game alongside new challengers and bring the scene to life. Competitive Halo is good for Halo as a whole, even the players who don’t have any interest in MLG will benefit from a MM experience that is well kept and fair. Infinity settings are NOT the way to go. If you had Legendary BR settings as a staple in your playlists on release date and a 1-50 ranking system, Halo 4 would not be dead.

You guys should watch his other videos about he isn’t playing COD anymore cause his team dropped him. Also how Halo 4 has basically ruined his career as he isn’t pro in any other game circles. Really makes me sad :frowning:

A year IS along time to wait for Halo 5, but if time makes for a batter game, have two years :wink: