343: Please explain your reasoning

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I read your weekly updates. This week I read it, and you showed off a lot of dubstep, and a few guns. What I wonder, however, is why you continue to avoid answering the burning question behind some of the new inclusions in Halo 4: Why?

Why did you add kill cams? We have shot indicators, a rotatable camera after death, and THEATER to find out who killed us and how without disrupting or changing a game in progress. Why was this feature added then, I wonder. I believe 343 added it to appeal to the COD crowd, much the same as the control scheme to make them more comfortable with your game.

Why is there join in progress in matchmaking that you’ve been keeping so utterly quiet about? Why would I ever want to join a game to have it immediately end when I first spawn with a loss on my record? Is it because COD has this?

You’ve been trusted, 343, with the care of all of Halo not only by Microsoft, but by the fans who love it so much. Why then are you sacrificing the spirit and integrity of the multiplayer? Is it just to make more money by appealing to a wider crowd? Do you care more for box sales than the love of Halo fans?

343, you are making a trilogy, yet this is your first game. If you sell a lot, but anger and disappoint the community with these inclusions, do you think this is a wise course of action for the future of your trilogy?

Your game has gone to certification, kill-cams and join in progress included. I, for one, will look forward to the story of Chief and Cortana, while I also will look back at previous Halo games and wonder where the multiplayer took such a turn for the worse with this one.

The answer, of course, will be plain to see on the box: 343 Industries.

Please listen to episode 16 of the Sparkcast.

They’ve answered almost all of this. They’ve been so quite about the join-in-progress because we are. 343i tries its best to talk baout what the fans want, if it fits into their plans that is.

I got to the part where you said “appeal to the CoD crowd” and I stopped reading. Posts got locked for that very line a few months back, and I refuse to acknowledge the validity of anyone, not just your, opinion, when they pull this card.

CoD didn’t create or innovate any of their features. They all came from somewhere. You would be well served to dig into the archives of this forum and read those threads rather than creating your own. This topic has gone round and round, most of us jumped off this ridiculous merry go round months ago, for your own sanity I suggest you do the same.

> I got to the part where you said “appeal to the CoD crowd” and I stopped reading. Posts got locked for that very line a few months back, and I refuse to acknowledge the validity of anyone, not just your, opinion, when they pull this card.
>
> CoD didn’t create or innovate any of their features. They all came from somewhere. You would be well served to dig into the archives of this forum and read those threads rather than creating your own. This topic has gone round and round, most of us jumped off this ridiculous merry go round months ago, for your own sanity I suggest you do the same.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that franchise originated the features I’ve called into question. What I did mean is that, that particular franchise generates an immense amount of money - money a developer in the same genre would want.

Also, if someone has a link then, where the join in progress bit has been discussed by 343, and if someone would be kind enough to share why kill cams were added, that would be great to read.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Another person looking for attention. Move on people.

Just because CoD does something doesn’t mean it should be automatically stigmatized.

I’m not 343 but I can respond based on what they have said

> why you continue to avoid answering the burning question behind some of the new inclusions in Halo 4: Why?

343 have been very busy finalizing the game and tuning things even right up until the game’s completion. Things like the nemisis armor mod were literally tweaked last minute before the game went off for certification. They’re releasing things in a timely manner on a specific agenda that coincides with several press releases and events. We are still 39 days till release, so there are plenty of opportunities for them to reveal necessary information on the game.

> Why did you add kill cams? We have shot indicators, a rotatable camera after death, and THEATER to find out who killed us and how without disrupting or changing a game in progress. Why was this feature added then, I wonder. I believe 343 added it to appeal to the COD crowd, much the same as the control scheme to make them more comfortable with your game.

Certain game modes have limited lives or abilities, which is why those modes allow you to see what your opponent has done. Their reasoning is that players will use these to learn how their enemies are moved and apply their tactics appropriately. This is something that can be toggled though, so the community will help shape their integration in multiplayer post launch.

> Why is there join in progress in matchmaking that you’ve been keeping so utterly quiet about? Why would I ever want to join a game to have it immediately end when I first spawn with a loss on my record? Is it because COD has this?

While it’s apparent that 343 have taken influences from several games, there are other reasons for their join in progress system. While we don’t know exact specifics yet, we do know that we can choose to join an ongoing match or wait for a brand new match with the matchmaking lobby settings

> You’ve been trusted, 343, with the care of all of Halo not only by Microsoft, but by the fans who love it so much. Why then are you sacrificing the spirit and integrity of the multiplayer? Is it just to make more money by appealing to a wider crowd? Do you care more for box sales than the love of Halo fans?

Almost everyone who has played the game has loved it and said that it still very much feels and plays like Halo. Don’t forget that everyone at 343 are all Halo fans and in some cases left other studios just to join this one and work on a Halo title. So if anything, 343 is listening to the fans more than Bungie did in several ways

> 343, you are making a trilogy, yet this is your first game. If you sell a lot, but anger and disappoint the community with these inclusions, do you think this is a wise course of action for the future of your trilogy?

This game is as important to the fans as it is to the developers seeing as how it’s their first title. Given the things they were able to accomplish and the support the matchmaking sustain team will be giving it after launch, I think we can expect it to be a more community-oriented and acclaimed game than Reach was.

Thank you for that well written reply, A 3 Legged Goat. I know I shouldn’t worry, and I too have heard that people who’ve had hands on with Halo 4 said that it feels and plays like a Halo game should.

It is my burning desire to see this game succeed and be fun for years to come that leads me to worry when I hear of such changes as I mentioned. I now can only hope that the join in progress is talked about in depth soon by 343, and that the kill cams aren’t spread throughout the playlists.

EDIT: hmmm, this post reads a lot more hostile than it sounded in my head, sorry for that. Need some sleep :confused:

Something something time machine something something.

Here are some questions in return.

Why do you assume elements from other games make this game worse? It didn’t impact every other game on the market. Games evolve over time, rarely revolve, that’s how the AAA games market is.

You are worried you will spawn into lost games, but you don’t take into account that you will never lose a game again due to your teammates quiting? Or the smaller chance of spawning into a winning game?

Killcams have literally zero effect on gameplay, and yet you think this game will be significantly worse than 1-3?

> Please listen to episode 16 of the Sparkcast.

OP should do that, is a really good listen.

You can hear jokes about how bad armor lock was, how it was a pause button, and even you can hear “yeah, there was a time were everyone was using jetpack, and we said, is time to nerf if”

Much better than the: "Right now, at this moment in development, armor lock is increble, is super-powerful, I love it!, is just -Yoinking!- fun!

OP you really should listen the last Sparkast.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> Another person looking for attention. Move on people.

^this

This is quite possibly the 300th thread on this. Nothing’s changing, the game has gone gold. This thread won’t make a difference. Everyone just move along already.

> 343, you are making a trilogy, yet this is your first game. If you sell a lot, <mark>but anger and disappoint the community with these inclusions</mark>, do you think this is a wise course of action for the future of your trilogy?

Are you serious? let me clear up some things

  1. You do not speak for the Halo community

  2. Everyone at 343i are Halo fans, and they’ve been working their -Yoinks!- off ever sense the studio was founded. Why would they purposely kill the franchise they left other studios to work on?

  3. The majority of those who played Halo 4 (I know someone who has) says that it feels and plays like Halo

  4. 343i has not put in a change that has had a legitimate reason for and accounted for gameplay-wise(my personal exeption would be CTF, but the new one is starting rub off on me). Check the latest Sparkcast

  5. The only ones saying this game will suck are the ones that make everyone else paranoid and the occasional COD troll

  6. IMO, this would be the course Bungie would take if they were still making Halo (unless they were content with prequels), Reach pointed to these changes that 343i did. This game looks like an evolved Halo 3 (with some of the good from Reach and some new additions) rather than a whole redo like Reach was

  7. The game’s already gone gold, so this thread won’t matter anyways

> I read your weekly updates. This week I read it, and you showed off a lot of dubstep, and a few guns. What I wonder, however, is why you continue to avoid answering the burning question behind some of the new inclusions in Halo 4: Why?
>
> <mark>Why did you add kill cams? We have shot indicators, a rotatable camera after death, and THEATER</mark> to find out who killed us and how without disrupting or changing a game in progress. Why was this feature added then, I wonder. I believe 343 added it to appeal to the COD crowd, much the same as the control scheme to make them more comfortable with your game.
>
> <mark>Why is there join in progress in matchmaking</mark> that you’ve been keeping so utterly quiet about? Why would I ever want to join a game to have it immediately end when I first spawn with a loss on my record? Is it because COD has this?
>
> You’ve been trusted, 343, with the care of all of Halo not only by Microsoft, but by the fans who love it so much. Why then are you sacrificing the spirit and integrity of the multiplayer? Is it just to make more money by appealing to a wider crowd? Do you care more for box sales than the love of Halo fans?
>
> 343, you are making a trilogy, yet this is your first game. If you sell a lot, but anger and disappoint the community with these inclusions, do you think this is a wise course of action for the future of your trilogy?
>
> Your game has gone to certification, kill-cams and join in progress included. I, for one, will look forward to the story of Chief and Cortana, while I also will look back at previous Halo games and wonder where the multiplayer took such a turn for the worse with this one.
>
> The answer, of course, will be plain to see on the box: 343 Industries.

  1. Seeing exactly what just happened to you, seconds after it happened is much more convenient than taking 10 minutes to leave the game, load the movie, and search for the time that it happened. Other than that, killcams are pointless.

  2. 343 gets so many complaints about people quitting in Reach. Then they get complaints that the quit ban is ridiculous. How to solve both of these complaints? Join in progress. If someone on your team quits, someone takes their place. Period.

My question to you is “Why?” Why complain about these things like they are going to change the way you play the game? You’re still gonna be strafing, jumping, and headshotting like you have been for the past 11 years.

> > I got to the part where you said “appeal to the CoD crowd” and I stopped reading. Posts got locked for that very line a few months back, and I refuse to acknowledge the validity of anyone, not just your, opinion, when they pull this card.
> >
> > CoD didn’t create or innovate any of their features. They all came from somewhere. You would be well served to dig into the archives of this forum and read those threads rather than creating your own. This topic has gone round and round, most of us jumped off this ridiculous merry go round months ago, for your own sanity I suggest you do the same.
>
> Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that franchise originated the features I’ve called into question. What I did mean is that, that particular franchise generates an immense amount of money - money a developer in the same genre would want.
>
> Also, if someone has a link then, where the join in progress bit has been discussed by 343, and if someone would be kind enough to share why kill cams were added, that would be great to read.

Killcams are only in the game mode dominion, and its not like “COD” its way different, you see the person and how they killed you, it literally tells you how they did so, stop judging a game when you haven’t even played the whole thing

While in the beginning of this post I found myself agreeing with the Anti-CoD comment by CapRandude<insert random numbers here>, I’m interested in this conversation.

While ScenicBaton760 did bring up good points about the bringing in of newer teammates and such, did it ever occur to you that 343 may have, just MAYBE put a setting on MM that made it so you dontt get a loss on your record for joining a losing game after a certain time? Or a certain score? While i know it seems unlikely that that may happen, its still a possibility to be tweaked post launch.

Oh yea, ScenicBaton760, Kill Cams do actually effect Gameplay, about, meh 20% I’d wager.

But think of this scenario Mr. OP,

A guy walks into Gamestop/Target/Bestbuy/Walmart and spies the Master Chief being epic on the cover with the phrase “Halo 4” on the cover. Now, being a fan of the Halo series, and with the money, this guy picks up that game and heads to the cashier.

Do you think he is going to remember “Oh yea, Halo 4 has kill cams and an adjustable search option for joining started games, guess I’m not going to like it, because these changes are horrific.”

No, Now don’t take the tone of the above scenario as a harsh way of making you angry, or to befuddle your entire case.
I happen to respect your opinion (Though unfortunately, I am not agreeing with the remark towards 343i at the bottom.) but honestly, are adding those completely insignificant features like Killcams and similiar (albeit some of the same perks from CoD) a terrible idea? When has Infinite sprint ever been a problem? 343 has already addressed 8/10ths (roughly) of the problems people seem to be having.

All of their responses have been clear, helpful and making us love them even more for hearing them in the first place.

<3 343i.

The only people that complain about cod vs. halo are people who have played both. Funny how nobody mentions battlefield. I personally left the cod series because of the fact that it took little to no skill to play well, NOT because of killcams, perks, and being able to join in progress. If anything, those were cod’s only redeeming factors. I would much rather play Reach than play any cod game. Halo 4 looks amazing; stop complaining, or just stop playing halo and go back to cod.

Uh speak for your self. Don’t include the community to justify your opinion.

> Killcams are only in the game mode dominion, and its not like “COD” its way different, you see the person and how they killed you, it literally tells you how they did so, stop judging a game when you haven’t even played the whole thing

You are kidding right?