343, let’s talk armors unlock

Hey 343, let’s be real here. I know you people are running a business and I know that you will do everything you can to maximize profits at the same time kinda care about what your community want (only after we complained enough). With that being said I know it cost a lot of money to make this game. Here is what I beg you to do because asking would be too much. Please stop putting in 500 of the same armor piece with slightly different color paint job and locking it behind a battle pass/micro transactions. What I propose is have maybe a few variants of the same armor and have two methods of unlocking it. You can continue your predatory ways with the battle pass but please also include an in-game method of unlocking it by doing greats feats. Make me do 20 sticky Granada kills or get kill-tack-gular to unlock something. Make me feel like completing the story in legendary mean something and give us something for that. This way you can still be greedy and serve your community at the same time.

anyway this post will most likely be ignore and die. But if someone from 343 or Microsoft read this and actually value what the small people want please implement something like this in.

They can make what they want, just make it unlockable by progression & achievements only, no paying for things.

If they do that, they’ll be praised by the entire industry.

> 2533274799621457;2:
> They can make what they want, just make it unlockable by progression & achievements only, no paying for things.
>
> If they do that, they’ll be praised by the entire industry.

The Multiplayer is Free to Play, so that’s not going to happen. Nothing is really free, especially a game like Halo which costs hundreds of millions of dollars to produce. They need to monetize the game somehow and it’s likely going to be something akin to a Battle Pass, for better or worse.

Hopefully people who purchase the campaign will get that for free

Maybe you can get some armors by completing the campaing or achivements, but i think what almost all the armors will be unlocked via season pass or with the two generic currency of f2p games. Coins and Gems but with other kind of name. Coins = Credits and Gems = InfiniteCoins (?).

The monetization is one of the things what i’m afraid of, monetization and the translations.

> 2533274832510269;4:
> Maybe you can get some armors by completing the campaing or achivements, but i think what almost all the armors will be unlocked via season pass or with the two generic currency of f2p games. Coins and Gems but with other kind of name. Coins = Credits and Gems = InfiniteCoins (?).
>
> The monetization is one of the things what i’m afraid of, monetization and the translations.

I agree. It ruined halo and gears for me. I stop playing gears 5 a week after I finished the campaign. I stop halo a month after. I use to play these game religiously for years but when I see my efforts does nothing then I stop playing. I don’t care for micro transactions and battlepass but give people that actually have skills a a work/game/life balance a chance to earn them too without years of grinds.

Everything in Halo 5 besides some HCS weapon skins (which benefitted the organizations?) was obtainable through playing the game. I haven’t spent a dime on microtransactions and I have nearly everything unlocked. The MCC battlepasses/seasons are free and don’t lock you out once the season is over.

Your wording throughout your post is making them out to be as bad as EA. 343 has done nothing in the past to warrant terms akin to “predatory.” While microtransactions can be exploitative, let’s not assume 343 is going this direction with no basis for that assumption.

Your definition of “greedy” seems to be “getting paid for services rendered” in which case the only people who are not greedy are non-functioning members of society.

> 2535431933064458;6:
> Everything in Halo 5 besides some HCS weapon skins (which benefitted the organizations?) was obtainable through playing the game. I haven’t spent a dime on microtransactions and I have nearly everything unlocked. The MCC battlepasses/seasons are free and don’t lock you out once the season is over.
>
> Your wording throughout your post is making them out to be as bad as EA. 343 has done nothing in the past to warrant terms akin to “predatory.” While microtransactions can be exploitative, let’s not assume 343 is going this direction with no basis for that assumption.
>
> Your definition of “greedy” seems to be “getting paid for services rendered” in which case the only people who are not greedy are non-functioning members of society.

Yeah you don’t think having a 100 dollar in game currently is greedy? And how long did it take you to get everything in that game ? I played for months and I still don’t have the 1 armor I want. Meanwhile I unlock 3000 of the same armor in slightly different color variant. I didn’t have to spend a dime on halo 3 and older and got everything you lock within 2-4 months and got what I wanted right away by doing things that deserved it. My post states that for all you rich people or people that doesn’t have a work/life/game balance there should be two ways to unlocks things.

I’m okay with the armors being unlockable through purchase but ONLY as long as they can also be unlocked through natural progression as well and it doesn’t feel needlessly excessively grindy, absolutely no lootboxes for armor or weapon variants WHATSOEVER. That way people that want this or that specific armor set can get them without having to play dozens of hours in multiplayer getting rekt by more experienced veterans.

> 2533274906763918;7:
> > 2535431933064458;6:
> > Everything in Halo 5 besides some HCS weapon skins (which benefitted the organizations?) was obtainable through playing the game. I haven’t spent a dime on microtransactions and I have nearly everything unlocked. The MCC battlepasses/seasons are free and don’t lock you out once the season is over.
> >
> > Your wording throughout your post is making them out to be as bad as EA. 343 has done nothing in the past to warrant terms akin to “predatory.” While microtransactions can be exploitative, let’s not assume 343 is going this direction with no basis for that assumption.
> >
> > Your definition of “greedy” seems to be “getting paid for services rendered” in which case the only people who are not greedy are non-functioning members of society.
>
> Yeah you don’t think having a 100 dollar in game currently is greedy? And how long did it take you to get everything in that game ? I played for months and I still don’t have the 1 armor I want. Meanwhile I unlock 3000 of the same armor in slightly different color variant. I didn’t have to spend a dime on halo 3 and older and got everything you lock within 2-4 months and got what I wanted right away by doing things that deserved it. My post states that for all you rich people or people that doesn’t have a work/life/game balance there should be two ways to unlocks things.

I agree that req packs are overpriced but the alternative (playing the game) isn’t that unreasonable.

You have played 75 hours of H5. Let’s spread that over four months like in your H3 example. That’s roughly 19 hours per month which is less than an hour per day.

I don’t think somebody with your playtime should have everything unlocked. That to me doesn’t sound like a committed player or even a player that enjoys the game. This game has lasted 5 years…rewards for such a lengthy lifespan should be scaled accordingly, not to 4 months.

Let’s say you did unlock everything in 4 months by playing 3 matchmaking games per day. Would you have continued to play after reaching your goal? What about the people who play way more because they love the game? Perhaps they unlock everything in 1 month and suddenly have no more long-term grinding goals.

I do agree some armors should be awarded through achievements but others being awarded by dedication/time played is perfectly fine as well.

> 2535431933064458;9:
> > 2533274906763918;7:
> > > 2535431933064458;6:
> > > Everything in Halo 5 besides some HCS weapon skins (which benefitted the organizations?) was obtainable through playing the game. I haven’t spent a dime on microtransactions and I have nearly everything unlocked. The MCC battlepasses/seasons are free and don’t lock you out once the season is over.
> > >
> > > Your wording throughout your post is making them out to be as bad as EA. 343 has done nothing in the past to warrant terms akin to “predatory.” While microtransactions can be exploitative, let’s not assume 343 is going this direction with no basis for that assumption.
> > >
> > > Your definition of “greedy” seems to be “getting paid for services rendered” in which case the only people who are not greedy are non-functioning members of society.
> >
> > Yeah you don’t think having a 100 dollar in game currently is greedy? And how long did it take you to get everything in that game ? I played for months and I still don’t have the 1 armor I want. Meanwhile I unlock 3000 of the same armor in slightly different color variant. I didn’t have to spend a dime on halo 3 and older and got everything you lock within 2-4 months and got what I wanted right away by doing things that deserved it. My post states that for all you rich people or people that doesn’t have a work/life/game balance there should be two ways to unlocks things.
>
> I agree that req packs are overpriced but the alternative (playing the game) isn’t that unreasonable.
>
> You have played 75 hours of H5. Let’s spread that over four months like in your H3 example. That’s roughly 19 hours per month which is less than an hour per day.
>
> I don’t think somebody with your playtime should have everything unlocked. That to me doesn’t sound like a committed player or even a player that enjoys the game. This game has lasted 5 years…rewards for such a lengthy lifespan should be scaled accordingly, not to 4 months.
>
> Let’s say you did unlock everything in 4 months by playing 3 matchmaking games per day. Would you have continued to play after reaching your goal? What about the people who play way more because they love the game? Perhaps they unlock everything in 1 month and suddenly have no more long-term grinding goals.
>
> I do agree some armors should be awarded through achievements but others being awarded by dedication/time played is perfectly fine as well.

Like I said I completely stop playing this game because of the loot box and micro transactions infestation. It started with halo 4 and got worst in halo 5. I like halo 5 but I have no motivation to play it. I can’t get what I want. All of halo 3 amor are obtain through skills. If they want to drag out the unlock they can do the reach approach. Let me pick what I want to unlock! But like I said just give me another method to unlock what I want and they can be as greedy as they want with battlepass.

> 2535431933064458;9:
> > 2533274906763918;7:
> > > 2535431933064458;6:
> > > Everything in Halo 5 besides some HCS weapon skins (which benefitted the organizations?) was obtainable through playing the game. I haven’t spent a dime on microtransactions and I have nearly everything unlocked. The MCC battlepasses/seasons are free and don’t lock you out once the season is over.
> > >
> > > Your wording throughout your post is making them out to be as bad as EA. 343 has done nothing in the past to warrant terms akin to “predatory.” While microtransactions can be exploitative, let’s not assume 343 is going this direction with no basis for that assumption.
> > >
> > > Your definition of “greedy” seems to be “getting paid for services rendered” in which case the only people who are not greedy are non-functioning members of society.
> >
> > Yeah you don’t think having a 100 dollar in game currently is greedy? And how long did it take you to get everything in that game ? I played for months and I still don’t have the 1 armor I want. Meanwhile I unlock 3000 of the same armor in slightly different color variant. I didn’t have to spend a dime on halo 3 and older and got everything you lock within 2-4 months and got what I wanted right away by doing things that deserved it. My post states that for all you rich people or people that doesn’t have a work/life/game balance there should be two ways to unlocks things.
>
> I agree that req packs are overpriced but the alternative (playing the game) isn’t that unreasonable.
>
> You have played 75 hours of H5. Let’s spread that over four months like in your H3 example. That’s roughly 19 hours per month which is less than an hour per day.
>
> I don’t think somebody with your playtime should have everything unlocked. That to me doesn’t sound like a committed player or even a player that enjoys the game. This game has lasted 5 years…rewards for such a lengthy lifespan should be scaled accordingly, not to 4 months.
>
> Let’s say you did unlock everything in 4 months by playing 3 matchmaking games per day. Would you have continued to play after reaching your goal? What about the people who play way more because they love the game? Perhaps they unlock everything in 1 month and suddenly have no more long-term grinding goals.
>
> I do agree some armors should be awarded through achievements but others being awarded by dedication/time played is perfectly fine as well.

Thats where you’re wrong. Time played on a game doesn’t matter. Some people have things to do outside the game. Getting the highest spartan “rank” (really just xp) doesn’t show you like the game more than say a truck driver who clearly can’t be on the game all the time.

This is the issue with reach. Players went from halo 3 where actual achievement was how you earned things to halo reach where you earned everything from extended participation.

> 2533274887613159;11:
> > 2535431933064458;9:
> > > 2533274906763918;7:
> > > > 2535431933064458;6:
> > > > Everything in Halo 5 besides some HCS weapon skins (which benefitted the organizations?) was obtainable through playing the game. I haven’t spent a dime on microtransactions and I have nearly everything unlocked. The MCC battlepasses/seasons are free and don’t lock you out once the season is over.
> > > >
> > > > Your wording throughout your post is making them out to be as bad as EA. 343 has done nothing in the past to warrant terms akin to “predatory.” While microtransactions can be exploitative, let’s not assume 343 is going this direction with no basis for that assumption.
> > > >
> > > > Your definition of “greedy” seems to be “getting paid for services rendered” in which case the only people who are not greedy are non-functioning members of society.
> > >
> > > Yeah you don’t think having a 100 dollar in game currently is greedy? And how long did it take you to get everything in that game ? I played for months and I still don’t have the 1 armor I want. Meanwhile I unlock 3000 of the same armor in slightly different color variant. I didn’t have to spend a dime on halo 3 and older and got everything you lock within 2-4 months and got what I wanted right away by doing things that deserved it. My post states that for all you rich people or people that doesn’t have a work/life/game balance there should be two ways to unlocks things.
> >
> > I agree that req packs are overpriced but the alternative (playing the game) isn’t that unreasonable.
> >
> > You have played 75 hours of H5. Let’s spread that over four months like in your H3 example. That’s roughly 19 hours per month which is less than an hour per day.
> >
> > I don’t think somebody with your playtime should have everything unlocked. That to me doesn’t sound like a committed player or even a player that enjoys the game. This game has lasted 5 years…rewards for such a lengthy lifespan should be scaled accordingly, not to 4 months.
> >
> > Let’s say you did unlock everything in 4 months by playing 3 matchmaking games per day. Would you have continued to play after reaching your goal? What about the people who play way more because they love the game? Perhaps they unlock everything in 1 month and suddenly have no more long-term grinding goals.
> >
> > I do agree some armors should be awarded through achievements but others being awarded by dedication/time played is perfectly fine as well.
>
> Thats where you’re wrong. Time played on a game doesn’t matter. Some people have things to do outside the game. Getting the highest spartan “rank” (really just xp) doesn’t show you like the game more than say a truck driver who clearly can’t be on the game all the time.
>
> This is the issue with reach. Players went from halo 3 where actual achievement was how you earned things to halo reach where you earned everything from extended participation.

Agreed, additionally at lease reach gives you the option to buy the armor piece you want. Now it is just unbearable. Unless you want to look like a base spartan. Just because I don’t play 20 hrs a week doesn’t mean I don’t deserve the armor I want. Thanks for the support.

I had long held out hope that something like Reach’s cR system could return in Infinite, especially with the multiple teases we’ve received that fans of Reach’s customization will likely be pleased with Infinite’s. I think the cR system was phenomenal; everyone could earn credits by playing Matchmaking and completing Daily and Weekly challenges and then spend them on their own personal favorite customization pieces. To me this really livened up the armor variety-- whenever you saw someone repping a certain kind of armor, you knew that it had been a prioritized piece that they’d likely looked over other things to get for themselves. That really drove up attachment and immersion in the customization for me, personally.

However, as has been mentioned above, Free-to-Play strongly implies (confirms beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt, frankly) that monetization will be implemented. It’s likely that one of the monetization revenues will be through customization. That’s not to say that it will be the only means of unlocking customization items-- and I don’t think it will be-- but don’t be surprised when there are several pay-to-unlock avenues by which most armors in the game (if not quite all of them) are easier and tremendously quicker to buy than to unlock through in-game means.

343i has gone on record several times denying the implementation of random lootboxes, which to me thankfully says they’re moving away from H5’s horrible REQ card system (slot machine money hole- about as predatory and awful an MTX system as anything else I’ve ever seen in AAA games).

The best I think it’s reasonable to hope for is that we’ll have ways to unlock most customization items in-game, but that it will be an extraordinary (unreasonable) grind to do things this way, incentivising players to skip the countless hours of grinding and throw down $5-$10 on “What you see is what you get,” armor packs. That’s a far cry from the glory days of Reach’s in game cR system, but it’s a lot better than H5’s way of doing things.

And as far as MS being horribly greedy and deeply unethical by implementing MTX’s in any capacity whatsoever, I think it’s time to acknowledge that this is just the way things are in the industry today. The money that developers used to demand as a barrier to entry to play their games at all has largely dissolved when it comes to large scale multi-player games, but money still has to be made in order to justify these games existing and being supported. Nothing is free, nothing was free, and nothing will be free- models of paying have simply changed and will continue to change over time.

On the bright side, if you’re a MP only kind of Halo fan, you don’t even need game pass to play- its literally free to get your foot in the door. That’s $60 in your pocket that you wouldn’t have had via the traditional distribution model. They’re counting on you to spend that much and more via monetization, but you don’t have to, and if you do decide to anyways and aren’t a child, then you’ve got only your own decision making to blame for the fact that you did.

> 2533274861158694;13:
> I had long held out hope that something like Reach’s cR system could return in Infinite, especially with the multiple teases we’ve received that fans of Reach’s customization will likely be pleased with Infinite’s. I think the cR system was phenomenal; everyone could earn credits by playing Matchmaking and completing Daily and Weekly challenges and then spend them on their own personal favorite customization pieces. To me this really livened up the armor variety-- whenever you saw someone repping a certain kind of armor, you knew that it had been a prioritized piece that they’d likely looked over other things to get for themselves. That really drove up attachment and immersion in the customization for me, personally.
>
> However, as has been mentioned above, Free-to-Play strongly implies (confirms beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt, frankly) that monetization will be implemented. It’s likely that one of the monetization revenues will be through customization. That’s not to say that it will be the only means of unlocking customization items-- and I don’t think it will be-- but don’t be surprised when there are several pay-to-unlock avenues by which most armors in the game (if not quite all of them) are easier and tremendously quicker to buy than to unlock through in-game means.
>
> 343i has gone on record several times denying the implementation of random lootboxes, which to me thankfully says they’re moving away from H5’s horrible REQ card system (slot machine money hole- about as predatory and awful an MTX system as anything else I’ve ever seen in AAA games).
>
> The best I think it’s reasonable to hope for is that we’ll have ways to unlock most customization items in-game, but that it will be an extraordinary (unreasonable) grind to do things this way, incentivising players to skip the countless hours of grinding and throw down $5-$10 on “What you see is what you get,” armor packs. That’s a far cry from the glory days of Reach’s in game cR system, but it’s a lot better than H5’s way of doing things.
>
> And as far as MS being horribly greedy and deeply unethical by implementing MTX’s in any capacity whatsoever, I think it’s time to acknowledge that this is just the way things are in the industry today. The money that developers used to demand as a barrier to entry to play their games at all has largely dissolved when it comes to large scale multi-player games, but money still has to be made in order to justify these games existing and being supported. Nothing is free, nothing was free, and nothing will be free- models of paying have simply changed and will continue to change over time.
>
> On the bright side, if you’re a MP only kind of Halo fan, you don’t even need game pass to play- its literally free to get your foot in the door. That’s $60 in your pocket that you wouldn’t have had via the traditional distribution model. They’re counting on you to spend that much and more via monetization, but you don’t have to, and if you do decide to anyways and aren’t a child, then you’ve got only your own decision making to blame for the fact that you did.

Well said. I just hope that because multiplayer is free and campaign is paid, the cost also allows you to unlock things by playing the game. It could also be a way to incentivize people to purchase the game. I have nothing but good wish for this game but I just have this lingering pits that I will be disappointed. I really hope I am wrong.