343 just doesn't care.

After playing the H5Beta I have come to the conclusion that 343i just doesn’t give a damn about the loyal Halo gamers who have given over 10 years of their gaming life to this franchise. I have also concluded that 343i doesn’t really care about 90% of it’s community, it seems to me that 343 have cherry picked the community members they want to listen to and ignore the rest. I have come to these conclusions after playing the Beta and checking out the forums, never have I seen a community split so decisively over additions and changes to a game, I have been enjoying Halo for 12 years, I was a huge PS2 fanboy right up to the moment I played Halo at a friends house then I went out and bought a XBOX and Halo. So, why don’t 343 care? It’s easy, after the customer has paid out their $60 for the game, any other revenue that comes in is from DLC, and you can expect 3-4 DLC packs at around $15, if H5 has a drop off rate like H4 then the income from DLC packs while nice will not be as substantial as the DLC packs for H3 or even Reach.

To combat this 343i is going after the E-Sports crowd, as this emerging market is where the money is. if this isn’t true then why are 343 employing ex pro players to test the game and taking feed back off them as to how to make the maps flow, don’t get me wrong you might have been #1 in the world in slayer on Halo but you don’t know jack about map design, so why your being asked how to make this game play better I’ll never know. Everything about this game screams E-Sport faster TTK, faster movement, kill cams, Spartan callouts, new abilities like clamber, boost, sprint, those stupid dude bro moments and more.

All of these additions are to make the game flow faster to get crowds screaming, 343 are not building this game for XBL they’re building for 10,000 screaming fans in an arena, sure they’ll do preliminary rounds over XBL but that’s all that it’ll be used for, there’s no money in it for them, and after all 343 and Microsoft are business and are out to make money. So therefore I have come to the conclusion that 343 don’t for me or other XBL a gamers who don’t follow E-Sports, H5 is not designed for us.

> 2812739231567241;1:
> After playing the H5Beta I have come to the conclusion that 343i just doesn’t give a damn about the loyal Halo gamers who have given over 10 years of their gaming life to this franchise. I have also concluded that 343i doesn’t really care about 90% of it’s community, it seems to me that 343 have cherry picked the community members they want to listen to and ignore the rest. I have come to these conclusions after playing the Beta and checking out the forums, never have I seen a community split so decisively over additions and changes to a game, I have been enjoying Halo for 12 years, I was a huge PS2 fanboy right up to the moment I played Halo at a friends house then I went out and bought a XBOX and Halo. So, why don’t 343 care? It’s easy, after the customer has paid out their $60 for the game, any other revenue that comes in is from DLC, and you can expect 3-4 DLC packs at around $15, if H5 has a drop off rate like H4 then the income from DLC packs while nice will not be as substantial as the DLC packs for H3 or even Reach.
>
> To combat this 343i is going after the E-Sports crowd, as this emerging market is where the money is. if this isn’t true then why are 343 employing ex pro players to test the game and taking feed back off them as to how to make the maps flow, don’t get me wrong you might have been #1 in the world in slayer on Halo but you don’t know jack about map design, so why your being asked how to make this game play better I’ll never know. Everything about this game screams E-Sport faster TTK, faster movement, kill cams, Spartan callouts, new abilities like clamber, boost, sprint, those stupid dude bro moments and more.
>
> All of these additions are to make the game flow faster to get crowds screaming, 343 are not building this game for XBL they’re building for 10,000 screaming fans in an arena, sure they’ll do preliminary rounds over XBL but that’s all that it’ll be used for, there’s no money in it for them, and after all 343 and Microsoft are business and are out to make money. So therefore I have come to the conclusion that 343 don’t for me or other XBL a gamers who don’t follow E-Sports, H5 is not designed for us.

I think you are on to something here.

What angers me so is that the casual crowd, whom they’re catering to, would be okay with a game the competitive crowd likes, but it doesn’t work the other way around.
We HATE sprint… casuals like it okay. Remove it and casuals will still have fun. Keep it and competitives won’t buy the game.
It seems like an easy decision to me.

Oh boy.

I’m a loyal fan, I’ve given 10 years to Halo, yet I feel listened to. I wanted armor abilities gone, they left. I wanted ordinance gone, they are gone. I didn’t want custom loadouts in MM, they are gone. Sprint I can take or leave it, I’m just happy it has some negatives to go with it.

This post is pretty hilarious as MLG has not even picked up Halo 2A, and likely will not pick up H5.

The only competitive aspects about this game is equal start and maps with static weapon spawns.

All the the basic mechanics inH5 seem to have lowered the skill gap, everything from slower movement speed, to huge hit boxes, a high bullet magnetism, nuke grenades, and high damage spray and pray automatics.

Your thread is pretty much pointless IMO.

> 2533274797604373;6:
> This post is pretty hilarious as MLG has not even picked up Halo 2A, and likely will not pick up H5. The only competitive aspects about this game is equal start and maps with static weapon spawns, everything else is casual from slow movement speed to huge hit boxes, to a high bullet magnatism.

MLG are not the be all and end all of E-Sports, in November 2014 343 signed an exclusive deal with ESL for a Halo league, also on this very site they are pushing Halo Championship Series, with a dedicated playlist in MCC and most of the weekly bulletins are about E-Sports, at least when BSAngel was in charge of the community her bulletins were about the goings on in the studio and what she was allowed to say about new games or DLC. All Bravo seems to be interested in in the competitive E-Sport side of Halo, not that you can complain it’s what he knows about.

I just feel that 343 are looking at E-Sports to bring more money in than they will get from XBL, but to do this the game has to appealing to that crowd, and Halo 5 screams out I’m built for E-Sports, as for the casual aspect, let’s be honest nobody wants to loose on Halo, even in BTB objective it gets very competitive with time call outs on weapons and vehicles. 4v4 slayer/objective games be they ranked or non-ranked are not the only competitive games on Halo.

I like halo 5 tho…

343i does not care about complying to your personal wishes.
Fixed it for you OP.

People act like e-sports just popped up out of nowhere. Since gamong has existed, people have been competitive. I remember the old days of G4 (when tech tv was separate), watching unreal players rocket jumping and those intense ctf battles, all while playing in a similar environment (albeit CRT monitors, quiet/audience-less rooms with headsets (like the sprint series shows the pro teams).

People put all the faith in a game to be so much more than it is. In order for Halo to succeed, it needs to focus on being Halo - a fun sci-fi shooter with a decently long but fun campaign (replay ability is a MUST), with a mp that is larger in scope than most games, but not overbearing (Titanfall/Unreal). Heck, the amount of players that ignore campaign entirely are the reason tmcc is as looked down upon for its quirks. While some campaign issues remain, most complaints are about mp.

Halo was a game you’ve always been able to pick up and play. In that respect, the casual/competitive crowd wasn’t even an issue (those terms for players didn’t exist in that form, and anyone not being paid to play a game is not a “pro”, just like anyone playing any sport is not a pro unless they do it for a living). If you don’t like it when it drops, don’t play it. It is a game - something you play and enjoy. People have it out for 343i to fail and for what? To torture themselves for not having exactly what they want all the time.

> 2533274792065063;9:
> 343i does not care about complying to your personal wishes.
> Fixed it for you OP.

LOL!^^

In fact, professional gamers do understand the mechanics of map design. Thats one of the reasons they are so good at the games, they understand the exact way a map flows and where the powerful positions are and the weak ones. Their jobs are to create any advantage for themselves they possibly can, which includes finding exploits, OP maps positions and weapons, etc. Those are all things that you want to know as a game designer and as a game player, serious, casual or other. having those things be balanced makes a better experience for everybody.

> 2717573882290994;3:
> What angers me so is that the casual crowd, whom they’re catering to, would be okay with a game the competitive crowd likes, but it doesn’t work the other way around.
> We HATE sprint… casuals like it okay. Remove it and casuals will still have fun. Keep it and competitives won’t buy the game.
> It seems like an easy decision to me.

Easy for youu. Lol but those same casual you claim would be “ok” without it probably won’t. That’s like me saying we are the competitive crowd we can adjust to playing this DIFFERENT game with sprint. Because we are the hardcore ppl the gods of halo! But we cannot adjust to something so simple as sprint. But the casual should understand that blah blah maps are smaller blah blah base speed increased

It’s not about who can adjust or adapt to what, but that a competitive game can only play competitively if it has the skill ceiling to do so. If the game was designed to be a casual game it won’t play competitively - Halo Reach is proof enough of that. A competitive game, however, is not restricted to being played purely competitively, and if a player so chooses so he/she may play it casually (great examples of this include Halo 3 and Team Fortress 2).

> 2533274812652989;5:
> I’m a loyal fan, I’ve given 10 years to Halo, yet I feel listened to. I wanted armor abilities gone, they left. I wanted ordinance gone, they are gone. I didn’t want custom loadouts in MM, they are gone. Sprint I can take or leave it, I’m just happy it has some negatives to go with it.

^This.
OP would make since if they were talking about H4. H5 is a return to form for Halo. Sure there are new additions but that more because FPS’s are evolving in general. H5 seems like the competitive FPS arena that Halo used to be. After walking away from the franchise when H4 launched, I’m completely on board with H5.

Look at MCC…

> 2533274792065063;9:
> 343i does not care about complying to your personal wishes.
> Fixed it for you OP.

I agree. This thread is lame, talk some <yoink> about something more important before this embarrassment. Yeah I’m talking to you buddy, You’re not helping this game, it’s ppl like you That don’t care about anything but talking about Drama. I got a gif for you, get on Tv if it’s that important, You’re very good at complaining and being Dramatic, it would fit you perfectly.
343i do some work! You are awesome! Can’t wait for Halo 5, Bring more amor customization please and challenges! -Love MR <3

"To combat this 343i is going after the E-Sports crowd"

Competitive communities can grow organically in any game. But I have heard this argument many times before. The problem is, what is the E-Sports crowd 343 is looking at? Call of Duty? They have a “pro-team” that is giving suggestions, but that team consists of yes-men. They are in a predicament that isn’t so simple.

Maybe 343 should be looking for competitive influences in other games like Counter-Strike and the arena-shooters that had thriving communities for years. 343 can say E-Sports, but they mean the COD community. The sad thing is that COD needs a new game every year to stay relevant and interesting. The gameplay is so shallow and superficial.

If 343 truly cared about E-Sports then they would do their best to make sure Halo’s design is one of uniqueness. It was always a perfect mix of arena and tactical. And 343 could have truly doubled down on this and made Halo into the shooter that we haven’t had for years and years. Doing that would actually get non-Halo fans and people who don’t own an XBox to get the game and the console.

As of right now the game is just too similar of an experience to the other trendy shooters out there today to draw in people who haven’t been interested before. And what makes sad is that was 343’s goal. One of their goals in Halo 5 is to make players feel like they are playing something familiar, even if they have never played Halo before.