343 I And Many Others Want You To Succeed

This is coming from a Halo fan that has been prominent since the online days of Halo 2. Many of us share this as well. We have all been around this community through the good times and the bad. And many of us have been growing up with Halo. So to see it get side lined in it’s last two outings hurts many of us.

We have seen Halo go from the game that practically made the MLG Pro Circuit to a watered down form of what it used to be. No longer does it feel like there is any skill in this game with how so many things are given to you (ie ordinance drops, spawning with stickies, ranged weapons, and a OP shotgun).

Call me nostalgic or old fashion but I really miss the days of Halo 3. Some of the most competitive moments came from the amazing team-work of good friends. And I honestly think that Load-Outs have single handedly tainted this games overall competitiveness.

Spawning on a map like The Pit for example, most players had a few things in mind: control middle and control rockets. Get a BR, get the camp and go for a stealthy flag cap or bomb arming, or getting over-shield and rushing the enemy snipe. These are just some examples of how weapons on map made the game both more fun, competitive, and challenging. Especially against a good team.

So when I say that Halo is a shadow of what it used to be, I want you to understand my meaning. Many of us were originally inspired by 343’s vision for Halo… but that clearly has changed. Many of us as well want to see them succeed and bring Halo back to it’s competitive glory on Xbox Live.

I am hoping that the next few months will turn this game around. For 343, for the many dedicated Halo fans, and the return of a competitive Halo experience.

NOTE: Please do not mistake my competitive view as saying that Halo needs to only be hyper-competitive to be fun. As I greatly enjoy the more casual playlists like BTB, Grifball, and Action Sack. Halo has always been amazing cause it could cater to so many different playstyles and gamers.

I am with you my friend.

> I am with you my friend.

Thank you. Maybe it’s a little too soon to say but I feel a change in the way 343 has been responding to the community. Very positive things. Very hopeful here.

im in the same boat, its not so much about the ordanance drops or the loadouts for me, its about the fact of having ranked and social. But these new things are social tendencies leaving less out of proper smart and team play of controlling the map and weapons familiar with the previous halo’s. 343 has implemented a lot of social type gameplay tendencies and erased all ranked from matchmaking, leaving us with nothing but awkward play with constantly unbalanced teams with tons of new working parts that can take away the aspect of skill, and making that the staple of “skilled” play in halo 4 just rolling in one big melting pot with all other players, try hards, squeakers, laid back players, ragers, -Yoinks!-, nice guys, good teammates, and smart players. Theres no telling what you get in this new system at all.

Atleast in halo 3 you could have fun and be laid back in social, or try your balls off in ranked. Now its just dumb how i get frustrated at random matches because of the things that happen, i cant play the fast paced craze fest that halo 4 is and accept it as the social list which is more about fun and randomness than skill, because there is no skill standard to hold myself to. So now i have all of these randumbs telling me this halo is better and i need to stop complaining. If you like taking advantage of this situation and lack the ability to see what could make this game more fair and better by catering to a bigger audience of pros and joes then to hell with you.

Same here.

> im in the same boat, its not so much about the ordanance drops or the loadouts for me, its about the fact of having ranked and social. But these new things are social tendencies leaving less out of proper smart and team play of controlling the map and weapons familiar with the previous halo’s. 343 has implemented a lot of social type gameplay tendencies and erased all ranked from matchmaking, leaving us with nothing but awkward play with constantly unbalanced teams with tons of new working parts that can take away the aspect of skill, and making that the staple of “skilled” play in halo 4 just rolling in one big melting pot with all other players, try hards, squeakers, laid back players, ragers, -Yoinks!-, nice guys, good teammates, and smart players. Theres no telling what you get in this new system at all.
>
> Atleast in halo 3 you could have fun and be laid back in social, or try your balls off in ranked. Now its just dumb how i get frustrated at random matches because of the things that happen, i cant play the fast paced craze fest that halo 4 is and accept it as the social list which is more about fun and randomness than skill, because there is no skill standard to hold myself to. So now i have all of these randumbs telling me this halo is better and i need to stop complaining. If you like taking advantage of this situation and lack the ability to see what could make this game more fair and better by catering to a bigger audience of pros and joes then to hell with you.

Great point. It seems since Reach there has been this catering towards Social Playlists (nothing wrong with that, they are fun), and the more Hard-core ones pushed aside. I’ll be honest, my hyper-competitive days of Halo 4 are probably behind me now, and while I usually play online to enjoy myself, whos to say I don’t want to play competitively?

In Halo 4 you don’t have that option, the playlist all have a very social, casual feel, and throwing all types of players into this has made the game less skilled because they are focusing on getting Ordinance, or relying on spawn weapons. I’m telling you there is a aspect of this game lost, and i’m talking fundamentally lost, when you give everyone the BEST Loadouts. The fun and challenge in finding the best weapon, or fighting for control is gone.

great post OP, you speak the truth

the part that really kills me is seeing all of the 343/halo 4 fanboys who think this game is balanced and argue like mindless drones. they would only benefit if the game was balanced and released in an actual finished state instead of a beta. let alone the fact that they would love what ever they were playing. if halo 4 was built from the core mechanics of halo 2/3 with new tweaks and additions, they would love it and rage against people who would say things like: “i want ordinance drops and perks”. hell, 343 could have switched the DMR with a purple unicorn horn that fires rainbows and they would defend it to the death, just because that is what they do.

instead the game is collapsing in on itself because all of these flashy and poorly thought out mechanics are unbalanced and drain the fun out of the game.

This good post OP

This.

I agree for the most part…
You definitely have to appeal to both sides of the community, and I like my hardcore SWAT, slayer, and CTF games…but I also like hopping over to the more casual, kinds crazy game types that aren’t as competitive…
Like infection, grifball, and action sack (one of my favorites…)
I simply think 343 didn’t define that line well enough between casual and competitive. To a degree anyways.
Yet.

I honestly don’t know of anyone here that would want 343 to fail at improving the game they’ve loved years and years.

I want 343 to succed as well and for them to do that there going to need the communities support as well. They have the entire gameing world watching them as they handle a diamond of the gaming world.

> I agree for the most part…
> You definitely have to appeal to both sides of the community, and I like my hardcore SWAT, slayer, and CTF games…but I also like hopping over to the more casual, kinds crazy game types that aren’t as competitive…
> Like infection, grifball, and action sack (one of my favorites…)
> I simply think 343 didn’t define that line well enough between casual and competitive. To a degree anyways.
> Yet.
>
> I honestly don’t know of anyone here that would want 343 to fail at improving the game they’ve loved years and years.

In my note in the bottom of my post I did mention that one reason I love Halo is the variation of gametypes. Which some of my favorite playlist included grifball, action sack, and BTB.

Truth be told when Halo’s multiplayer was clearly divided by Casual and Hardcore playlists the experience was a lot better. You knew what the games would be like, and even sometimes the skill of the opposing players. For a game to be amazing you must include aspects for all players, including the hardcore ones.

I thank everyone for the support of the thread. Keep this civil and who knows what will happen.