343: Hire new sound designers PLEASE

A. The sound effects are GREAT

B. The music is GREAT

C. The sound and music implementation is CRAP!!!

D. There is NO OPTION to adjust the volume of sound effects, music, voice, and the master volume. FAIL

I listened to the soundtrack of this game before it even came out and was so hyped because obviously if the music is epic…so must be the game.

Boy, was I wrong. As it turns out, the music seemed to have been completely written and created OUTSIDE of the actual game development. Neil Davidge’s work was written by itself and was not written for cutscenes or gameplay scenarios in the game.

Oh, and the volume of the music is so LOW. I can’t even hear it in most scenes. I felt like there really was no soundtrack at times. The only time I could hear it was when all the shooting stopped and I hid in a corner.

Did you even know that the soundtrack has a volume 2? I didn’t even recognize most of the songs on it. But when I played through the game and tried to get into a spot where there was as little noise as possible…YEP, then I heard it. The epic music of this game was like a faint whisper in the game.

Seriously, WHO decided that was a good idea? Do you just not like music in video games?

Can you recognize which part of the game this song was from?

It is epic music and I bet you don’t even remember hearing it. PROBABLY because you didn’t hear. WHY didn’t you hear it? Because the sound design in this game is AMATEUR at best.

You should not make duplicated threads and even less when the first one got locked.

> You should not make duplicated threads and even less when the first one got locked.

like he said

> You should not make duplicated threads and even less when the first one got locked.

He’s okay, he was told to by a monitor. Although the post is the same the poll is fixed at least.

OT: While I agree that the music should be louder and able to be changed by the player I disagree about the quality of the music. I own both music volumes and I think they are beautiful pieces that fit the story of H4.

It’s alright he was allowed to recreate the thread with a less biased poll and a calmer tone. At least this thread title is more respectful.

Here is my response from the other locked thread. I still didn’t vote, so you might want to expand the poll answers mate.

I’ve been wanting 3 simple volume sliders for Halo since forever:

1. Music level
  2. Effects level
  3. Dialogue level

They really need to have this sorted with sliders. I’ve played various campaigns and multiplayer of Halo and always wanted to change things up in these 3 sliders. Often I’m doing a play through for cut scenes or dialogue or just fire fighting and shooting random surfaces because so much effort goes into the game audio.

They just need these sliders to enable gamers to fully enjoy the audio quality that is produced. I agree Halo 4 had poor audio mixing in terms of the music level in the background. That was my big audio gripe.

I love the OST & OST2 though. I love the UNSC audio but the Covie audio on weapons is a little weird for me.

This is a combination of UI and direction issues, not the sound designers themselves.

I don’t have this problem. I have a surround sound system and I can hear everything easily.

By the way that YouTube song is from the level Forerunner.

I’m pretty sure the OP prefers the old sound of the BR to the new one. That goes for the Sniper Rifle as well. I’m with the OP on this one though.

Fighting trough Forerunner is where I heard that.

The sound is good. What 343i needs to worry about is the gameplay…

I think people think I’m ranting about the actual sound and music itself.

Let me clarify. THE SOUND AND MUSIC ARE GREAT.

The implementation of sound and music into campaign is TERRIBLE, especially in cutscenes. I can’t believe they shipped the game with muffled cutscenes. It is mind boggling.

> Can you recognize which part of the game this song was from?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=i4GMYnK-8Tw#t=291s
>
> It is epic music and I bet you don’t even remember hearing it. PROBABLY because you didn’t hear. WHY didn’t you hear it? Because the sound design in this game is AMATEUR at best.

While I do agree with the rest of the post, I actually remember hearing that song the first time I played through the game (when you fight around the Didact’s Cryptum in the 3rd mission). I especially love the part at 3:26, and the part at 0:38 which plays when you first see the Cryptum.

But like you said, the music was way too quiet during the cutscenes. The unavailing of the Didact would have been much better if the music was louder.

> The sound is good. What 343i needs to worry about is the gameplay…

No they need to focus on story

you do realize that some soundtrack was in spartan ops.

I really liked the second volume of the OST. I’ve been wanting lasky’s theme for a long time.

> > The sound is good. What 343i needs to worry about is the gameplay…
>
> No they need to focus on story

Halo 4 campaign was excellent. I know they can make Halo 5’s campaign good.

So yes, they need to focus on the multiplayer and the gameplay…

I can’t believe people are okay with the nonexistant music in campaign.

> > > The sound is good. What 343i needs to worry about is the gameplay…
> >
> > No they need to focus on story
>
> Halo 4 campaign was excellent. I know they can make Halo 5’s campaign good.
>
> So yes, they need to focus on the multiplayer and the gameplay…

Agreed. People cant even decide if they want infinity or pro settings now, so gameplay is most definitely high priority for 343i.

OP is right on the money. As a music producer, I believe that Halo 4’s music was great but just badly implemented into the game. I also looked for an option to turn the music up with no success.

I agree with everyone that we need User Controls for setting the audio volume on different aspects of the game, like music, sound effects, voice overs etc. I do not have a problem with the actual content - just some control over it.

Unfortunately this typical of 343 and not giving the user any control, especially for multiplayer.

For example they nee to add option for players to have connection filters (i.e. “Best Connection Only” as in Reach / COD to match up players with similar ping / connection rates, “Local Players Only” so they aren’t playing in games with players from all over the world in a single game) and let users turn off JIP if they want to.

The above options should give players some control back and may actually improve the number of multiplayer players too. Weapons tuning updated has added a few thousand people to multiplayer - well at least for this week anyhow.

In Reach I could hear the difference between an enemy being 5 feet away and 10 feet away using my Turtle Beaches. Now you hear everything in your area. Its quite frustrating.