343 Helping BO2 Sales

I didnt plan on buying Black Ops 2 because I love Halo so much. But since I am and alot of other people are stuck at level 70. I am going to buy BO2 and play that now because I am bored. How many other people didnt plan on buying BO2 but now have bought it because there stuck at lvl 70?

What happens if people buy BO2, didnt plan on buying it and like it more than halo and 343 loses business from it?

343 is helping promote their number one competitor.

I remember when people played games because they enjoyed them, and not for levels or achievements or any other form of online ego stroking.

You’re right. If you hit 70 and don’t have any specializations to pick, you can’t play any matches any more. It is terrible!

It’s like how in Halo 2 there wasn’t even any XP, so nobody played any matches, because it was no fun when you couldn’t earn XP!

I don’t think it works like that

Also, you’re right. COD seems like the game for you.

I lol at this generation of gamers. ‘Im stuck at level 70! i cant rank up anymore! mommy my digital number next to my gamertag wont go higher!’

Remember when we played Halo because Halo was FUN? Instead now its always ‘gotta rank, gotta get higher, gotta get my e-peen up!’

While i do find it irksome when i hit the xp cap and get a big commendation, i shrug it off because the amount of fun im having > 5k XP.

Also you cant wait 10 days and just play halo to play halo while the e-mails are being sent out? They WILL be here by Dec 1st.

> I didnt plan on buying Black Ops 2 because I love Halo so much. But since I am and alot of other people are stuck at level 70. I am going to buy BO2 and play that now because I am bored. How many other people didnt plan on buying BO2 but now have bought it because there stuck at lvl 70?
>
> What happens if people buy BO2, didnt plan on buying it and like it more than halo and 343 loses business from it?
>
> 343 is helping promote their number one competitor.

quit lying to yourself, you dont love halo, if you truly love a game you play for fun, not some hallow idiotic sense of accomplishment from digital number.

> I remember when people played games because they enjoyed them, and not for levels or achievements or any other form of online ego stroking.

Yea, I do play for fun. I dont care if people are a higher level than me but I dont like to just play when I could be progressing.

> > I didnt plan on buying Black Ops 2 because I love Halo so much. But since I am and alot of other people are stuck at level 70. I am going to buy BO2 and play that now because I am bored. How many other people didnt plan on buying BO2 but now have bought it because there stuck at lvl 70?
> >
> > What happens if people buy BO2, didnt plan on buying it and like it more than halo and 343 loses business from it?
> >
> > 343 is helping promote their number one competitor.
>
> quit lying to yourself, you dont love halo, if you truly love a game you play for fun, not some hallow idiotic sense of accomplishment from digital number.

Majority of the community that played Halo 2 want Halo 2 Ranks back because it just wasnt a level it had cool neat colors every three levels!

People always play for a rank but back in halo 2 days we didnt play for ranks we played to win and not derank

I really wished that 343i just took their time and made sure that H4 was fully complete and that all major issues were ironed out before releasing their game. I’d be happy to have waited for it.

Instead they wanted to get it out before Black Ops to somehow get the sales… but it’s just not worth it, as doing a bad job isn’t going to hold us for another 2 or 3 years until H5.

That Halo Council video raises a good point; the fact that the ranking system is coming out in the new year just shows that Halo 4 wasn’t finished when it was released.

> I didnt plan on buying Black Ops 2 because I love Halo so much. But since I am and alot of other people are stuck at level 70. <mark>I am going to buy BO2 and play that now because I am bored.</mark> How many other people didnt plan on buying BO2 but now have bought it because there stuck at lvl 70?
>
> What happens if people buy BO2, didnt plan on buying it and like it more than halo and 343 loses business from it?
>

> > I remember when people played games because they enjoyed them, and not for levels or achievements or any other form of online ego stroking.
>
> Yea, I do play for fun. I dont care if people are a higher level than me but <mark>I dont like to just play when I could be progressing.</mark>

So…you play for fun, but you are bored because your rank wont go higher. And you state that you dont like to play when you could be progressing.

You basically say ‘i play for fun, but i dont play for fun because i want to get my imaginary number up, and i cant anymore so bye!’

You’re “bored” of Halo because you can’t have a higher meaningless number next to your name that nobody else will even care about?

I’m so sorry.

If you played the first black ops, blops2 might seem like garbage to you. I frequently hear this.

I enjoyed the campaign to blops2 when I got to play (which is saying a lot cause I started hating cod after waw) The zombies where ok and I don’t know about the rest.

Just so you realize, by not playing, you’re only holding yourself back. Just as Bungie locked out the higher ranks in Reach until a certain amount of challenges were completed, it was stated that the rest of the specs would be unlocked as the community reaches certain milestones.

> Without the unlock, players will have only the Wetworks and Pioneer Specializations to choose from once they reach level 50. 343 Industries is planning to release the remaining six gradually based on how far the community pushes the rankings.

> <mark>I lol at this generation of gamers. ‘Im stuck at level 70! i cant rank up anymore! mommy my digital number next to my gamertag wont go higher!’</mark>
>
> Remember when we played Halo because Halo was FUN? Instead now its always ‘gotta rank, gotta get higher, gotta get my e-peen up!’
>
> While i do find it irksome when i hit the xp cap and get a big commendation, i shrug it off because the amount of fun im having > 5k XP.
>
> Also you cant wait 10 days and just play halo to play halo while the e-mails are being sent out? They WILL be here by Dec 1st.

You’re right, gaming was so much more pure when we just had to get the high score on the local Pac Man machine or speed run Mega Man X, or even just hitting the level cap in a classic RPG.

/sarcasm

A number next to your name is and has always been a huge part of gaming, and it sickens me to see how so many of the younger generation can just write off half the point of gaming. Having something to strive for, be it improved skill, hours spent, completion percentage, or number of pellets consumed is what popularized gaming in the first place.

> > <mark>I lol at this generation of gamers. ‘Im stuck at level 70! i cant rank up anymore! mommy my digital number next to my gamertag wont go higher!’</mark>
> >
> > Remember when we played Halo because Halo was FUN? Instead now its always ‘gotta rank, gotta get higher, gotta get my e-peen up!’
> >
> > While i do find it irksome when i hit the xp cap and get a big commendation, i shrug it off because the amount of fun im having > 5k XP.
> >
> > Also you cant wait 10 days and just play halo to play halo while the e-mails are being sent out? They WILL be here by Dec 1st.
>
> You’re right, gaming was so much more pure when we just had to get the high score on the local Pac Man machine or speed run Mega Man X, or even just hitting the level cap in a classic RPG.
>
> /sarcasm
>
> A number next to your name is and has always been a huge part of gaming, and it sickens me to see how so many of the younger generation can just write off half the point of gaming. Having something to strive for, be it improved skill, hours spent, completion percentage, or number of pellets consumed is what popularized gaming in the first place.

You’re exactly right. Also hate this snobbyish attitude from so many people towards the younger generations. Funny thing is, many of the snobby ones are between 18-22 and grew up on the PS1 and claim it to be some sort of godlike retro machine from a golden age! I’m 20, many of my peers have this attitude. Gah. Videogames are just videogames, whatever year of release or age of the players.

> I didnt plan on buying Black Ops 2 because I love Halo so much. But since I am and alot of other people are stuck at level 70. I am going to buy BO2 and play that now because I am bored. How many other people didnt plan on buying BO2 but now have bought it because there stuck at lvl 70?
>
>

Worrying about XP and rank is stupid. It doesn’t make you a better player or help you win matches. It just unlocks outfits for your Spartan Barbie doll which you can dress up over and over.

> You’re right. If you hit 70 and don’t have any specializations to pick, you can’t play any matches any more. It is terrible!
>
> It’s like how in Halo 2 there wasn’t even any XP, so nobody played any matches, because it was no fun when you couldn’t earn XP!

That’s not exactly true because there was something similar to an XP system in Halo 2 for people to rage about-that being the 1-50 ranking system.

Once a game series introduces an Internal Incentive to play the game BESIDES the fun of playing it, the experience ultimately suffers. This is due to the fact that you are no longer playing the game because it is fun, you’re playing because the game rewards you with higher ranks, XP, credits, gun camos, completed challenges, etc.

In most cases, Internal Incentives can add to the fun-factor of the game by giving the player more variety in the game, and causing him to play in different ways than he normally would without it. In these ways, Internal Incentives can unite the overall experience of the game and make it feel more full or complex.

But, inevitably, given time and familiarity with the game, the player will begin to play the game not for fun but, only for the gratification of completing the game’s IIs. Yes, this will likely lead to the game’s longevity but, it will also lead to frustration on the part of the player when he attempts to complete the game’s higher tier of challenges, ranks, levels, etc.

In Halo 2, there was a 1-50 ranking system. In H3, there was a point system based on wins and losses and a 1-50 ranking system. In Reach, there were stupidly long Ranks based on the accumulation of Credits. Now, in H4, there are Spartan Ranks based on XP.

This, of course, only applies to games that began without an Internal Incentive and not games that are built upon it. Pokemon, for example, is built upon the idea of catching new Pokemon and leveling them up over long spans of time. Same goes for other RPGs.

Did you know what I did today? I rage quit multiple BTB games because I could not get very many splatters to go towards the Splatter Master challenge. I WAS having fun in Team Snipers just playing the game and not worrying about challenges but, I switched over to BTB and see where that got me?

So, what’s my point? My point is that while Internal Incentives can make a game more fun, ultimately, they ruin the overall game experience. In our world of COD-like Challenges, XP, and other useless crap, knowing how to play a game for the fun of it can no longer be expected of normal players. It is now a skill that must be learned by each gamer. Although it is difficult, we must do so. After all, if it’s not fun, then, why are you playing at all?

Its not about the ranking system or how it ranks you or whatever. Its about being the best

> I remember when people played games because they enjoyed them, and not for levels or achievements or any other form of online ego stroking.

Thats funny because i remember always playing games as a form of competition against my friends or the cpu. Ranking systems are a great way of intensifing competetiveness.

Maybe if halo 4 gameplay was solid enough to survive without incentives to play it wouldent be an issue. But h4 gameplay is bland and boring