343 has No love for the offline crowd?

I’m troubled at the fact that Halo 5 as a game isn’t even worth the 60$ price tag offline unlike any other Halo Game before it…

Halo reach :
Things you can do offline

• Single Player Campaign - Co Op Split screen campaign - Firefight Solo - Firefight Co op - Multiplayer 2 - 4 person each of these adds hours of fun and replayability (i know that this isn’t a word) to the game adding more value that justifies or even exceed the game’s value

Now let us look at 343’s first game
Halo 4

• Single Player Campaign - Co op Split Screen Campaign - Multiplayer 2 -4 personI quickly realized how already lacking Halo 4 was compared to reach even though it’s the newer game though I understood that 343 at this time was a completely new video game developer and this is their first game as a Team… Plus on the next gen with better hardware I’m almost certain that 343 will soon see the importance of offline gaming and at 2015 they are pretty much experienced as they should be for their next real new game…

And to my surprise they even did worse than Halo 4!!
Halo 5

• Single Player Campaign - Multiplayer split Screen 1 -2 (LOL)Say what you want but for me this is the biggest sign of 343’s incompetence of understanding what Halo made as big as a franchise it is today…

Anyways what do you guys think?
Am I ranting over such a small part of Halo? Discuss.

When someone buys Halo, which is widely respected and raved about just for it’s multiplayer, would you honestly expect someone to not buy an Xbox Live Gold subscription along with it? No split screen sucks, sure I’ll agree to that, but that alone isn’t what made Halo as big of a franchise as it is now.

> 2533274881042784;1:
> the importance of offline gaming

Okay.

The marketshare is skewed so badly against you, pal. The “importance” of offline gaming is - let me have a wild guess - less than one percent of the install base. A few more people will notice the absence of split-screen, but it really isn’t what Halo has been about since Halo 2’s release. Seeing as though Halo 2 kicked off console gaming online, Halo 2 was, more than anything, an online game. It was great fun offline as well, but I really believe there’s a reason Halo 5 is going all-out online. It’s because offline just doesn’t sell FPS games anymore.

The days of split screen are over. First of all, split screen sucks. It doesn’t matter how much fun you have utilizing that feature, it sucks. You don’t get the full feel of the game in my opinion, plus its a huge distraction. No one can fully enjoy that. Second of all, marketing has a play. Especially since Microsoft has a say in how the games made, they’re going to make it to where more consoles and subscriptions are sold. At least try, anyway. I’m sure the share of players play offline is a very small number, so there won’t be that big of a push for 4 player splits anytime soon.

> 2533274879416877;3:
> It’s because offline just doesn’t sell FPS games anymore.

Bioshock would like to have a word with you.

It’s more of a sign of Xbox ones consumer focus and sales than it is a sign of 343i’s anything.

343i is a microsoft owned studio. Microsofts Market guys tell 343 what is selling, what is being played themost and to focus their game in that direction. Every game does it.

Spartan ops and firefight tanked quickly. (and I liked BOTH modes) But they tanked.
People who play Halol, Children of duty, and battlefail, are not primarily buying these games as single player experiences. Halo is probably the ONLY game between these two with truly worthwhile campaign experiences.

Honestly i’d rather have features in there for people that want em. But I’m sorry to say that it isn’t the reason Why I’m getting Halo 5.

> 2533274879416877;3:
> > 2533274881042784;1:
> > the importance of offline gaming
>
>
> Okay.
>
> The marketshare is skewed so badly against you, pal. The “importance” of offline gaming is - let me have a wild guess - less than one percent of the install base. A few more people will notice the absence of split-screen, but it really isn’t what Halo has been about since Halo 2’s release. Seeing as though Halo 2 kicked off console gaming online, Halo 2 was, more than anything, an online game. It was great fun offline as well, but I really believe there’s a reason Halo 5 is going all-out online. It’s because offline just doesn’t sell FPS games anymore.

yep

More and more games have been introducing online elements a lot more, so this isn’t much of a surprise anymore.

We do not know all the features that will be in Halo 5 so I don’t think its very fair to judge them when we may not know all the facts.

> 2533274897073324;4:
> First of all, split screen sucks.

Stopped reading there, nice opinion, etc. Instead of trying to pose your beliefs as facts, try explaining why you believe it so.

I see no reason why Warzone can’t be an offline-also feature. Nor why there’s no splitscreen. Poor performance is not an excuse - optimise your game better.

Who the -Yoink- plays offline?

> 2533274881015020;10:
> > 2533274897073324;4:
> > First of all, split screen sucks.
>
>
> Stopped reading there, nice opinion, etc. Instead of trying to pose your beliefs as facts, try explaining why you believe it so.
>
> I see no reason why Warzone can’t be an offline-also feature. Nor why there’s no splitscreen. Poor performance is not an excuse - optimise your game better.

They’ve already explained why splitscreen didn’t work for ‘Halo 5’, it’s not an issue of optimization, the entire graphics engine was built to run at 60 fps. Trying to tune it down resulted in serious stability problems, so rather than rebuild the entire game from scratch, they decided to cut out splitscreen instead - it’s as simple as that.

> 2533274920039666;12:
> > 2533274881015020;10:
> > > 2533274897073324;4:
> > > First of all, split screen sucks.
> >
> >
> > Stopped reading there, nice opinion, etc. Instead of trying to pose your beliefs as facts, try explaining why you believe it so.
> >
> > I see no reason why Warzone can’t be an offline-also feature. Nor why there’s no splitscreen. Poor performance is not an excuse - optimise your game better.
>
>
> They’ve already explained why splitscreen didn’t work for ‘Halo 5’, it’s not an issue of optimization, the entire graphics engine was built to run at 60 fps. Trying to tune it down resulted in serious stability problems, so rather than rebuild the entire game from scratch, they decided to cut out splitscreen instead - it’s as simple as that.

That reads a lot like poor optimisation in my handy dandy games developer handbook.

Who builds games around framerate and not delta time these days? Incompetent fools, that’s who.

> 2533274801176260;5:
> > 2533274879416877;3:
> > It’s because offline just doesn’t sell FPS games anymore.
>
>
> Bioshock would like to have a word with you.

Hahah good point. I must say, though, Bioshock and its compatriots are the exception.

> 2728296738564166;11:
> Who the -Yoink- plays offline?

People who play by themselves or don’t feel like playing online.

> 2533274801176260;5:
> > 2533274879416877;3:
> > It’s because offline just doesn’t sell FPS games anymore.
>
>
> Bioshock would like to have a word with you.

Big daddy crash to the wall with a drill

I don’t care as much for splitscreen MP, but the lack of couch co-op for the first time in Halo is a big loss. There’s nothing like cracking a few beers with a buddy and playing some Halo campaign while having a face-to-face conversation

> 2533274881015020;13:
> > 2533274920039666;12:
> > > 2533274881015020;10:
> > > > 2533274897073324;4:
> > > > First of all, split screen sucks.
> > >
> > >
> > > Stopped reading there, nice opinion, etc. Instead of trying to pose your beliefs as facts, try explaining why you believe it so.
> > >
> > > I see no reason why Warzone can’t be an offline-also feature. Nor why there’s no splitscreen. Poor performance is not an excuse - optimise your game better.
> >
> >
> > They’ve already explained why splitscreen didn’t work for ‘Halo 5’, it’s not an issue of optimization, the entire graphics engine was built to run at 60 fps. Trying to tune it down resulted in serious stability problems, so rather than rebuild the entire game from scratch, they decided to cut out splitscreen instead - it’s as simple as that.
>
>
> That reads a lot like poor optimisation in my handy dandy games developer handbook.
>
> Who builds games around framerate and not delta time these days? Incompetent fools, that’s who.

Industry standards and all, people would bash the game if it didn’t run at 60fps. I’m guessing the last thing Microsoft wants is more bad rep for their console, especially if it doesn’t even run its flagship series at 60fps. As crappy as having no split screen is, it really isn’t going to bring the whole game down. Sure, there are still splitscreeners out there but offline play has been taking a backseat ever since online play was popularized.

This was coming eventually and 343 won’t be the only ones to do it. The vast majority of Xbox gamers have xbox live gold and have been playing online, on their own TV, ever since the Xbox 360. At some point, things have to move forward, even if it means leaving a few people behind.

Also, doesn’t the no splitscreen only apply to campaign? I think multiplayer still works with splitscreen. Maybe it’s the other way around, I dunno.

> 2533274879416877;14:
> > 2533274801176260;5:
> > > 2533274879416877;3:
> > > It’s because offline just doesn’t sell FPS games anymore.
> >
> >
> > Bioshock would like to have a word with you.
>
>
> Hahah good point. I must say, though, Bioshock and its compatriots are the exception.

Not really. Believe it or not, people do play, and love FPS campaigns. Myself included.

Yes, yes, there’s SO few people that play offline these days. And let’s just TOTALLY disregard the massive sales Skyrim/Bioshock/Halo CE/Portal 2/Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4/Doom 3/etc. brought in. And let’s just COMPLETELY DISREGARD THE FIVE THOUSAND THREADS MADE DAILY ON THIS FORUM SPEAKING OUT AGAINST THE REMOVAL OF LOCAL CO-OP AND 4 PLAYER PLUS THE TWO UTTERLY MASSIVE THREADS PETITIONING TO RE-ADD…

Offline play is very popular. Please understand that. Thank you.