343 has butchered Grifball

I was excited when I heard Grifball would be returning in Halo 4. So yesterday, I watched the PAX video of 343 showing of Grifball for the first time.

So not far into the video, they used the Grav Hammer for the first time… hmm, sounds quite weird. Not enough of a big, sound wave of gravity. Almost sounded like a heavy chain hitting the ground.

So I kept on watching. Still not 100% sold on passing the bomb/oddball type of thing. Who knows, it could work, but could get annoying (hopefully we will have the choice of turning on/off passing the ball in custom games).

Next, why is their no explosion after planting the bomb? Am I the only one that finds that satisfying?

And finally, the thing I disliked most, was once someone scored the bomb, the round doesn’t end… WHAT?! Horrible idea on so many levels! For one, one team could have the bomb, plant it, and just have a buddy stand on where the bomb respawns, and just pick it up again. And second, having the round end is a good thing! 'Cause then everyone gets reset to their original spawn, and one team has just as much chance of getting the ball as the opposite team does.
The old Grifball was smooth, organized, and fair for both teams.

Those are my thoughts. I’m not hating Halo 4 in general, and Grifball is just one gametype out of thousands. But I think 343 made a couple of wrong decisions. We’ll see.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Why are you crying over a minor gametype?

How i see it, Grifball actually looks worth playing now.

My god the moments i’m going to have trickshotting that grifball, Hitting it in mid air with the grav hammer and my friend perfectly catches it across the court and scores the winning goal!
Oh my i can’t wait

> Why are you crying over a minor gametype?

Crying? No. Voicing my opinion? Yes.
And like many, Grifball isn’t a minor gametype, and I spend lots of hours playing it. So pardon me for being a tiny bit concerned.

> How i see it, Grifball actually looks worth playing now.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

This.

However, if scoring killed everyone it would be much better.

You get some asthetic changes and you’re weeping a river.

Don’t know what you’re going off on OP but to me, Grifball actually seems like it will be worth playing this time around.

It looks fun and I can almost guarantee that it will be a lot more competitive.

What are you talking about? It was always worth playing, and to the other guy, grifball isn’t a minor game type.

It’s not minor, something such as a gametype is not minor. And it’s frickin GRIFFBALL, nothing is minor about it, it’s very popular. Also just because he’s making a complaint and telling us his concerns(Which I agree with and so will other people), doesn’t mean he’s crying and saying this is the worst game known to man. I’m gonna report you man, that attitude on this forum really pisses me off.

> I was excited when I heard Grifball would be returning in Halo 4. So yesterday, I watched the PAX video of 343 showing of Grifball for the first time.
>
> So not far into the video, they used the Grav Hammer for the first time… hmm, sounds quite weird. Not enough of a big, sound wave of gravity. Almost sounded like a heavy chain hitting the ground.
>
> So I kept on watching. Still not 100% sold on passing the bomb/oddball type of thing. Who knows, it could work, but could get annoying (hopefully we will have the choice of turning on/off passing the ball in custom games).
>
> Next, why is their no explosion after planting the bomb? Am I the only one that finds that satisfying?
>
> And finally, the thing I disliked most, was once someone scored the bomb, the round doesn’t end… WHAT?! Horrible idea on so many levels! For one, one team could have the bomb, plant it, and just have a buddy stand on where the bomb respawns, and just pick it up again. And second, having the round end is a good thing! 'Cause then everyone gets reset to their original spawn, and one team just as much chance of getting the ball as the opposite team does.
> The old Grifball was smooth, organized, and fair for both teams.
>
> Those are my thoughts. I’m not hating Halo 4 in general, and Grifball is just one gametype out of thousands. But I think 343 made a couple of wrong decisions. We’ll see.

You know they worked with the grifball players to make it right?
The guys in the demo besides the one 343 player are from the grifball hub.

“ya griffball is the coolest game type” said no Spartan ever

Nah Im not too worried about it since I dont play griffball

It seems IMO you’re complaining about improvements to the gametype. I never cared for griffball because it was too slow and clunky to me. Now its fast and fluid and I could see me and my friends playing for hours.
And yeah the hammer sounds different, they re-did all audio. I personally like the noise, I’ve never heard anything quite like it.

MINOR?! HERESY!

OT: too me its not too bad the throwing and lack of rounds is good, but the weak sound of the grav hammer is disappointing, and the lack of exploding ball. if they make it explode again it should fill the whole arena and kill everyone, so that they all have a fair chance at spawn.

> > Why are you crying over a minor gametype?
>
> Crying? No. Voicing my opinion? Yes.
> And like many, Grifball isn’t a minor gametype, and I spend lots of hours playing it. So pardon me for being a tiny bit concerned.

I’m sorry grifball gets 1000 players at most, when Slayer and others get 4-15k. So yes. It’s minor.

on the round end thing im didnt play it in reach but im sure i remember it being like that or maybe that was in customs

343i did this in coordination with the folks that created grifball so to rage on 343i is out of ignorance. Plus the changes are pretty cool and make grifball better if you ask me.

> > > Why are you crying over a minor gametype?
> >
> > Crying? No. Voicing my opinion? Yes.
> > And like many, Grifball isn’t a minor gametype, and I spend lots of hours playing it. So pardon me for being a tiny bit concerned.
>
> I’m sorry grifball gets 1000 players at most, when Slayer and others get 4-15k. So yes. It’s minor.

Ok, yes it’s minor when compared to other playlists. But of specific gametypes, it’s one of if not the most popular gametype in Halo.

It looks a lot more strategic this time compared to other games.

In other games it was just a custom game with the simple plant bomb physics as the other bomb game types.

This time around, 343i is actually making it into a real gametype with it’s own physics. Such as: the ball rolls, you can hammer the ball, and passing.

In my opinion, this game is actually becoming a lot better and strategic in Halo 4, and could even be considered a major gametype with these new changes.

This is actually the first time I’m genuinely excited to play grifball. So I disagree, it looks awesome!