343: Halo 4 will "re-inject some new life" Into...

…Halo Multiplayer.

Waking up and realizing that it’s 2012 — or in Master Chief’s case, 2553 — is a joyous occasion if for no other reason than it means one thing: Halo 4 will be out this year. We sat down with 343 Industries Franchise Development Director Frank O’Connor to get an update.

On how much focus Halo: CE Anniversary took away from Halo 4:
“Out of 200-plus people working at our studio, roughly 200 are working on Halo 4.”

On whether they will collaborate again with Certain Affinity, the studio founded by former Halo 2 lead multiplayer designer Max Hoberman:
“Certain Affinity will absolutely be working with us again. They’re a part of our family.”

Clarifying whether or not that means Certain Affinity will be doing multiplayer maps for Halo 4:
“We are definitely building Halo 4 multiplayer stuff in-house, [but] would we consider working with [them] on that stuff? Of course. They’ve done some of the best maps for everything since Halo 2.”

On whether or not they’ve been fighting an uphill battle with fans simply because they’re not Bungie:
“When people see what we’ve been able to achieve technologically, and how both careful and ambitious we’ve been with the gameplay — those things sound contradictory but they’re not — I think they’ll become more and more confident [in us].”

On whether or not any of the new engine technology from Anniversary will make its way into Halo 4:
“The technology in Halo: CE Anniversary is really cool, but it has nothing to do with the technology that [the Halo 4 team] is working on.”

On just how different Halo 4 will be from Bungie’s games:
“The core of what’s going to make Halo 4 great is some of the universe building and gameplay creation that Bungie seeded way back in Halo: CE.”

On where changes might be most visible:
“Now is the time when we really need to do something fresh and new and re-inject some new life…at least in multiplayer.”

On how lost you’ll be, storywise, if you play Halo 4 without having ever played Halo before:
“If Halo 4 is your first [Halo] game, that’s fine — don’t worry about it.”

Questions are in Bold, this was taken from a recent Official Xbox Magazine Article found here: http://www.oxmonline.com/343-industries-halo-4-will-re-inject-some-new-life-halo-multiplayer

This is what I found most interesting:

“Now is the time when we really need to do something fresh and new and re-inject some new life…at least in multiplayer.”

Sweeeeeeeet. I’ll go read it now.

[REDACTED]

> I’ll just go report my topic and get it locked :stuck_out_tongue:

I fixed it for ya. I believe you beat me by 20 seconds or so. :slight_smile:
I hope this is just a snippet of a larger article to come.

> This is what I found most interesting:
>
> “Now is the time when we really need to do something fresh and new and re-inject some new life…at least in multiplayer.”

Sounds like its going to change the way the game looks and feels, while keeping that core Halo feel.

Either way, it’s getting me pumped for that Halo 4 info on the horizon.

Very interesting. Can’t wait for more. I need to be fed.

> This is what I found most interesting:
>
> “Now is the time when we really need to do something fresh and new and re-inject some new life…at least in multiplayer.”

Sounds pretty sweet.

> On whether or not they’ve been fighting an uphill battle with fans simply because they’re not Bungie:
> “When people see what we’ve been able to achieve technologically, and how both careful and ambitious we’ve been with the gameplay — those things sound contradictory but they’re not — I think they’ll become more and more confident [in us].”

This part is what has me exited the most.

Can’t wait!

I just got a little excited. The more information, the better.

> Waking up and realizing that it’s 2012 — or in Master Chief’s case, 2553

Is that a confirmation of Halo 4 being set in 2553?

> I just got a little excited. The more information, the better.
>
>
>
> > Waking up and realizing that it’s 2012 — or in Master Chief’s case, 2553
>
> Is that a confirmation of Halo 4 being set in 2553?

This is what caught my eye too. I thought Halo 4 was supposed to be a few years from Halo 3, like 2556 or something.

> > I just got a little excited. The more information, the better.
> >
> >
> >
> > > Waking up and realizing that it’s 2012 — or in Master Chief’s case, 2553
> >
> > Is that a confirmation of Halo 4 being set in 2553?
>
> This is what caught my eye too. I thought Halo 4 was supposed to be a few years from Halo 3, like 2556 or something.

Yes, quite intriguing.
I also thought it was something along the lines of 2600, or 3000! Well I am crazy aren’t I?

Oh I’m so hyped, really can’t wait for a trailer can’t waiting

They are saying things that are going to please all crowds. I still want to see gameplay and what these “fresh” ideas are. Last time Halo got “fresh” we got crap like jetpacks and armor lock.

> They are saying things that are going to please all crowds. I still want to see gameplay and what these “fresh” ideas are. Last time Halo got “fresh” we got crap like jetpacks and armor lock.

> I just got a little excited. The more information, the better.
>
>
>
> > Waking up and realizing that it’s 2012 — or in Master Chief’s case, 2553
>
> Is that a confirmation of Halo 4 being set in 2553?

Can’t be. Halo 4 takes place in 2556 at the earliest.

> > They are saying things that are going to please all crowds. I still want to see gameplay and what these “fresh” ideas are. Last time Halo got “fresh” we got crap like jetpacks and armor lock.

Well I am excited but I know there will be negative reaction from some quarters I hope it not as bad as the reaction to Reach the way the “better” halo players spat their dummy’s (pacifier’s) out was unseemly.

> On whether or not any of the new engine technology from Anniversary will make its way into Halo 4:
> “The technology in Halo: CE Anniversary is really cool, but it has nothing to do with the technology that [the Halo 4 team] is working on.”

This makes me very excited! I like good quality =D

> > On whether or not any of the new engine technology from Anniversary will make its way into Halo 4:
> > “The technology in Halo: CE Anniversary is really cool, but it has nothing to do with the technology that [the Halo 4 team] is working on.”
>
> This makes me very excited! I like good quality =D

Yes, I am hoping they will use the “Halo Wars” cinematic graphics.