343 Guilty Spark and Chakas

So, going around the Universe forum, I see a lot of conflicting accounts of what happened to 343 Guilty Spark and what role Chakas plays in his personality. From what I can gather, Chakas is a personality fragment of Spark that emerged after what remained of him was found to still be operational and was recovered from the ruins of the Ark. Ultimately, though, I’m still not sure.

Can someone explain to me in layman’s terms exactly what the deal is with Spark and Chakas?

I don’t think its entirely clear yet. Concensus seemed to be that Guilty spark was a fragment of chakas, until an extra tidbit was revealed on how they aquired chakas’s monitor.

Being a damaged monitor found on the remians of the ark seems to suggest that Chakas is more or less a repressed personality of Spark. Chaka’s monitor could have just been chilling on the ark all this time, but that just seems odd.

Also, if Composed beings could make fragments sophisticated enough to managed an entire halo ring, i’d imagine much less souls would be needed to make the didact’s promethean army.

It was clearly established by chakas himself that he doesn’t know what his fragments are up to. He was oblivious of 343 until he hacked the ship.

> SCIENCE TEAM LEADER: “We’ll need a tentative designator for the
> source. What are we calling it?”
> ONI COMMANDER: “We still haven’t confirmed any connection
> between this one and—”
> SCIENCE TEAM LEADER: “I said ‘tentative.’”
> ONI COMMANDER: “No way in hell I’m going to confirm this is the
> same as the monitor found defending Installation 04.”
> STRATEGY TEAM LEADER: “That’s our working hypothesis. Should
> raise some eyebrows at High Command, and we need that sort
> of boost right now.”

I wish people would look up the definitions to words they don’t know. “tentative” is the official word for “not sure”.

I was convinced that chakas and spark were 2 different people, but then they explained that chakas was found at the ruins of the ark…where spark “died”. Seems like to much of a coincidence that they’re both at the exact same place.

Not to mention that they got Tim Dadabo to do the audiobook of primordium, and they specifically use the same voice effects they use to make him sound like spark as he takes over the ship in the book.

I’m half convinced that chakas has a number of personalities, and spark was the one that he was using for the time he was overseeing installation 04.

I don’t see why Chakas couldn’t have reconnected with his Guilty Spark fragment. He made it clear in the book his voice and such had changed over the years, so I’m not surprised they have Tim Dadabo doing voices again. Besides, does it really make sense to put a Monitor with millions of ancient human geas on a Halo ring? Didn’t work out too well last time.

> I don’t see why Chakas couldn’t have reconnected with his Guilty Spark fragment. He made it clear in the book his voice and such had changed over the years, so I’m not surprised they have Tim Dadabo doing voices again. Besides, does it really make sense to put a Monitor with millions of ancient human geas on a Halo ring? Didn’t work out too well last time.

How is putting him on the Ark, which controls the array, any better?

> > I don’t see why Chakas couldn’t have reconnected with his Guilty Spark fragment. He made it clear in the book his voice and such had changed over the years, so I’m not surprised they have Tim Dadabo doing voices again. Besides, does it really make sense to put a Monitor with millions of ancient human geas on a Halo ring? Didn’t work out too well last time.
>
> How is putting him on the Ark, which controls the array, any better?

Who said he had any involvement in running the installation? He is the biological record of humanity so putting him on the ark makes perfect sense.

> > I don’t see why Chakas couldn’t have reconnected with his Guilty Spark fragment. He made it clear in the book his voice and such had changed over the years, so I’m not surprised they have Tim Dadabo doing voices again. Besides, does it really make sense to put a Monitor with millions of ancient human geas on a Halo ring? Didn’t work out too well last time.
>
> How is putting him on the Ark, which controls the array, any better?

Who says Chakas Prime is on the Ark? Besides, with the Ark being outside the galaxy, it would be far safer than the Halos.

Personally, I think whatever was brought onto the Rubicon was, physically, 343 Guilty Spark. Personality wise, it was Chakas that was talking to everyone and recounting his tale.

Its possible that the Forerunner simply blocked his personality from being active in the Monitor for some reason, and that the critical damage 343GS sustained from the Chief simply broke the broke whatever protocols were in place preventing Chakas from being active.

As someone above mentioned, it seems rather coincidental that this severely damaged spark was recovered from the same area that we last saw (and thought to have destroyed) 343GS during the events of Halo 3. The common theory seems to be that this is an entirely different monitor that 343GS, but I dont necessarily believe that.

The fact is, theres really no sufficient evidence at the moment to say either way what the monitor that abducted the UNSC Rubicon was. It very well could have been 343GS, but it just as easily could be another one. The fact that the UNSC Rubicon science team wasnt willing to identify it as 343GS doesnt amount to a whole lot, because without the monitor telling them, theres noway they would be able to tell anyway.

> The fact is, theres really no sufficient evidence at the moment to say either way what the monitor that abducted the UNSC Rubicon was.

> I have rarely been able to remember
> which of my fragmented selves has performed any particular action.
> I see in your records that one of me caused you considerable
> difficulty—and then, assisted you!**
> How like us. But never did that
> monitor reveal its origins, or the motives behind its perverse
> behaviors.
> Perhaps now you can guess.
> **
[/quote]

> > I have rarely been able to remember
> > which of my fragmented selves has performed any particular action.
> > I see in your records that one of me caused you considerable
> > difficulty—and then, assisted you!**
> > How like us. But never did that
> > monitor reveal its origins, or the motives behind its perverse
> > behaviors.
> > Perhaps now you can guess.
> > **
[/quote]

[/quote]
Still doesnt prove anything. Its possible that the monitor(s)(they could all be like this) suffer from some form of split personalities, where the other personas are dormant while others are active.**
> > The way I see it, there are 3 options:
> > 1) The monitor that takes over the Rubicon was formerly 343GS, and simply suffered from a “split personality”.
> > 2) The monitor that takes over the Rubicon is a seperate construct from 343GS, and is truely its own “Chakas Monitor”.
> > 3) There is some sort of supreme monitor somewhere that is capable of controlling or atleast monitoring all the guardians of the Halos (maybe others as well) that was speaking through the shell of 343GS.
> > In the event of #2, youd be looking at a rather massive coincidence that it happened to be found on the Ark (in a similar area to where we last saw 343GS if I recall). This would raise a rather astounding number of questions, such as why was it on the Ark in the first place? Why didnt it try to contact or help any of the forces on the Ark during the battle? How did it get to be in such a state of catastophic failure?
> > As it stands, we only have cryptic statements from the monitor itself, and a crew that didnt want to make a false identification without knowing for sure. Not enough information to base an accurate stance one way or another.

I don’t see how people think it is 343 when Chakas is telling the story and calls himself chakas.

Chakas was created to preserve the biological history of humanity therefore it makes absolute since for him to be on the ark. I don’t see how two AI’s of the same physical model being in one place is a “massive” coincidence when eh forerunners had trillions of these things.

> I don’t see how people think it is 343 when Chakas is telling the story and calls himself chakas.
>
>
> Chakas was created to preserve the biological history of humanity therefore it makes absolute since for him to be on the ark. I don’t see how two AI’s of the same physical model being in one place is a “massive” coincidence when eh forerunners had trillions of these things.

No one is doubting that its Chakas talking. People are doubting that its a completely different monitor than 343GS, for the reasons that I stated above.

Its true the Forerunner had alot of monitors, but in the current universe the things are incredibly rare. We only see 2 throughtout all the games, and only what, half a dozen when you count the books? The odds of their being 2 different monitors in the same relative area on the Ark post-04b firing is astronomical given how rare they are now.

Im not sure how the Chakas monitor being on the Ark makes sense pertaining to his job being a biological history of humanity. Its not like he would have been in danger anywhere else in the galaxy, so his need to be on the Ark is pretty much 0. As a matter of fact, his being the biological history of humanity would seem to me to indicate that he should have been paying attention and being close to the current humans in the galaxy. It also raises the question that I mentioned above about why he didnt bother trying to contact humanity during the battle of instalation 00.

It also still doesnt explain how he got into such a catastophic state upon his discovery.