343, feedback and communication needs to be better

Many times 343 have stated that they want this set of flights to be accessed by as many people as possible so they get plenty of data. I was super excited to be selected and to be able to help and I was pleased with 343’s direction of transparency and honesty. But as soon as I launched the Infinite flight, I immediately became perplexed.

343 asked for all this feedback and there is no easy way to do it, and they asked us to play the game as much as possible, but there I was eager to play yet the multiplayer wasn’t working and I thought it was an issue with the game. Until I found out later that 1. You (maybe?) provide feedback through support tickets or via this forum (both of which are outside of the game and are a pain to navigate for someone who has never been to the website) and 2. That the flights were scheduled at specific times, and this was never stated in any email I received for the invite, or any message displayed when launching the game.

Let me start with how feedback needs to be improved. You need a dedicated section in the game for players to provide feedback. You can’t expect the thousands of people who (like me) are new to flighting and to this website, to be given vague directions on how to provide feedback. The link in game directs people to the support.halowaypoint website and all that is, is a FAQ page. I sat there on this webpage and thought to myself “Where to I go to provide feedback!” “Why do they not have link in big letters saying ‘submit your feedback’!” I had to google around in order to find THIS website and then navigate its horrendous layout. Yet, I still am unsure where to provide feedback for the game because it is stated nowhere. Do I do it on this forum? Is it the right place? Won’t it get drowned out by the hundreds of other posts? Do I do it on the subreddit? Or the support page even though its a support page and not a feedback page?

Like I said, have a dedicated section of the games menus be a place for players to provide feedback WITHIN the game, not just a small disclaimer and a link to a website a lot of people aren’t going to be familiar with. Let them type and submit feedback through the games systems so they can do it while it is fresh in their minds. Make it accessible and easy to find and easy to do. How this wasn’t already implemented blows my mind. You are missing out on heaps of feedback doing it your way.

Now, onto 343’s communication; When you launch the game you are greeted by a “pre-release software” message that basically says “this is in dev work and there are issues here are some unclickable links for our support pages.” OK, alright. I start tinkering with menus, do a training grounds game and then figure its time for multiplayer. Only to find that the multiplayer lobby sits in a perpetual loading screen. I think. “It’s pre-release, must be an issue with the game” and restart Infinite, only this time upon re-launching Infinite, I get a warning message saying I am not selected to play in this flight and I am forced to log back into my Microsoft account - which I do - which handily gives me the same warning message and logs me back out. I can’t even get far enough in to find that support website to find out what the hell is going on.

Again I had to google and go to Reddit then finally to the support site to see that the flight had been scheduled at specific times. This WAS NEVER STATED in any emails for the invite nor in a single message that was provided when launching Infinite. I don’t have social media and I don’t use reddit that much, so its not like those avenues were great solutions, nor should people be expected to have, or go to those sites in order to get basic information that should have been in game - this is doubled by the fact that this forum and the halo subreddit has heaps of post with people saying that they couldn’t play multiplayer and/or asking what the hell the schedule was.

Now I know what some of you are going to say; “You had the support page link that directs to a FAQ that explains all this about the schedule and there is a NEWS section in game that says it all.” First off - it wasn’t a link, it was a bit of text that you had type out yourself - which is dumb. Secondly - why would I, or anyone, go to that site when we first started playing? It is a SUPPORT site, I only just started playing the game so I hadn’t had any issues to need SUPPORT until I did and then when I needed to find that link I couldn’t get to it because I kept getting logged out for God knows why. Thirdly, the NEWS section should be something that pops up on launch like every other Game as a Service does, not buried deep within menus that I again couldn’t access because I kept getting logged out.

343, stop relaying on vague in game messages and useless links to get details across. Stop expecting people to have social media or have to navigate the web to find information that should be provided straight up. That “pre-release software” message that comes up when launching Infinite NEEDS to have more information. That should have been the place were everyone sees what is going on, that there is a schedule and the times for the schedule. It should be the place were future information is provided on any new goings on or updates - THE GAME should be the centre point of data were people get the grunt of information and are able to provide information themselves - websites and social media should be second to that, because most people are going to be in game and there eyes will see all that information they won’t want to go to some website or twitter page unless they get super annoyed like me.

Edit: Also, please support MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner. They are great little tools for monitoring PC’s temps and framerates and more. It would great to have while testing out these flights, or even in the final game. Don’t pull a Bungie and block them like they’ve done in Destiny 2.

Submitting a ticket

Not sure if this link will work, but I hope it takes you to the right page for submitting a ticket.

> 2706180847539981;2:
> Submitting a ticket
>
> Not sure if this link will work, but I hope it takes you to the right page for submitting a ticket.

Thank you, I found this a while ago but it just proves my point. It’s outside of the game and its a support ticket, not a feedback page. Support tickets are for reporting issues you have with the game, feedback is for providing feedback and ideas for the game to improve it.

Thanks again though.

> 2535418302606468;3:
> > 2706180847539981;2:
> > Submitting a ticket
> >
> > Not sure if this link will work, but I hope it takes you to the right page for submitting a ticket.
>
> Thank you, I found this a while ago but it just proves my point. It’s outside of the game and its a support ticket, not a feedback page. Support tickets are for reporting issues you have with the game, feedback is for providing feedback and ideas for the game to improve it.
>
> Thanks again though.

I agree, there should always be an in-game system for reporting and sending feedback, you can submit a ticket for that feature to be implemented into the game. They said they will look at items that players have concerns about and let us know if its by design or if it is something that does need changing. In this era most companies take in feedback with most social media platforms, either through reddit, twitter, or facebook. I am not sure how well 343 is about checking their own forums, I have only been with a couple of games websites and they typically look at reddit and twitter more.