343 dosent deserve half the S$#$ they get

seriously, you people are giving them 0 credit, and i would guess part of it is just because some fanboys dont want to see the franchise not in bungies hands.

have you people forgotten how terrible REACH was? the fact that it had the worst campaign story, the most re-used enviorments ever, and the fact that THEY are the ones who put in all the stuff your compainging about. the terrible ranking system, AAs, sprint.

you people keep complaining that 343 isnt fit to take the reigns of halo and yet if it was in bungies hands we would be even worse off than we are now!

you know what 343 isnt perfect but they’ve been pretty damn good compared to bungie. with 343 we got a continuation of master chiefs story that has been thought out, well executed, and a great journey for all of us. compare that to Reach where bungie put zero effort into the story, all the campaign maps were re-used from multiplayer and the story was built around them with next to no forethought.

and the most ridiculous thing is how much you guys keep nitpicking at the story.
“i have to find all the terminals to get the full backstory” hmmm, its not like bungie threw you into an entire universe with no full story of whats going on, oh wait, the first freaking game in the franchise! and the second where a whole book full of information isnt mentioned!

and the complaints about halsey and palmer are even worse. “i want to kill palmer for following orders and attacking a traitor to the UNSC who endangered the largest starship ever made.” what the frick is wrong with you guys? palmer has zero problems with her personallity and you hate her for using the term egg heads? and 343 never changed halseys personallity to make her more evil, she has always been this way, but this time it’s being shown in a new angle, and 343 mentions that in the opening cutscene! "you created the spartans to fight humans not covenant"which was true since day one of bungie. and the books before the new story arcs even showed her as ill intentioned, she kidnaped kelly and stole a spaceship to go to onyx on some ridiculous plan.

the multiplayer i wont defend as perfect, it has its flaws but 343 actually put the work in to make the multiplayer maps unique and differnt from the campaign. and most of the gameplay flaws were introduced by bungie in reach! yeah maybe some things like custom loadouts didnt help but thats a pretty small problem compared to what bungie did to multiplayer.

you keep treating bungie and previous halos like they were perfect but they arnt, they were going on a steady decline and 343 through campaign has managed to rebuild the franchises reputation in a lot of areas.

Great post, OP. But egg-heads DOES bug me. Anyways, I blame microsoft, not 343.

I think you are incorrect that the people complaining want Bungie back… I know at least in my opinion Bungie was just as bad.

But to say that it is bungies fault that certain things are in Halo 4 is ridiculous. 343 saw how much people disliked Reach… they heard the complaints about AAs, Sprint, Loadouts and all that stuff.

Did it make them think twice about adding it again? NOPE. They went right ahead and put it all back in and then added even more gimmicks to ice the crap cake.

343 and Bungie both deserve equal blame for the sorry state of Halo

343i got my money when I bought halo 4 there is no complaints from me I like the game =).

I don’t agree 100%, but I thank you for this post.

I blame Microsoft due to them wanting a halo game every year just for more money, i can remember when halo was a game you had to wait for, but it was always worth the wait and it deserved the title exclusive.

Halo used to be pure fun but now in my opinion they have developed the competitive side and i have to say i prefer the matchmaking but the fun side has suffered and halo has lost a lot of its buyers because of it, as there is no way halo can compete with the stupid amount of COD fanboys.

There are other reasons as well, such as the need to develop something new and different from the last game in the series and also the want of the fans for a new game and it is easy to see this as people were talking about Halo 5 weeks after Halo 4s release. I do not believe all is lost and i do believe the franchise can be saved but this will require serious work and 343 have to take thhe communities opinions into consideration when making the next game and try not to lose us in order to try and steal some of COD’s market share.

> seriously, you people are giving them 0 credit, and i would guess part of it is just because some fanboys dont want to see the franchise not in bungies hands.
>
> have you people forgotten how terrible REACH was? the fact that it had the worst campaign story, the most re-used enviorments ever, and the fact that THEY are the ones who put in all the stuff your compainging about. the terrible ranking system, AAs, sprint.
>
> you people keep complaining that 343 isnt fit to take the reigns of halo and yet if it was in bungies hands we would be even worse off than we are now!
>
> you know what 343 isnt perfect but they’ve been pretty damn good compared to bungie. with 343 we got a continuation of master chiefs story that has been thought out, well executed, and a great journey for all of us. compare that to Reach where bungie put zero effort into the story, all the campaign maps were re-used from multiplayer and the story was built around them with next to no forethought.
>
> and the most ridiculous thing is how much you guys keep nitpicking at the story.
> “i have to find all the terminals to get the full backstory” hmmm, its not like bungie threw you into an entire universe with no full story of whats going on, oh wait, the first freaking game in the franchise! and the second where a whole book full of information isnt mentioned!
>
> and the complaints about halsey and palmer are even worse. “i want to kill palmer for following orders and attacking a traitor to the UNSC who endangered the largest starship ever made.” what the frick is wrong with you guys? palmer has zero problems with her personallity and you hate her for using the term egg heads? and 343 never changed halseys personallity to make her more evil, she has always been this way, but this time it’s being shown in a new angle, and 343 mentions that in the opening cutscene! "you created the spartans to fight humans not covenant"which was true since day one of bungie. and the books before the new story arcs even showed her as ill intentioned, she kidnaped kelly and stole a spaceship to go to onyx on some ridiculous plan.
>
> the multiplayer i wont defend as perfect, it has its flaws but 343 actually put the work in to make the multiplayer maps unique and differnt from the campaign. and most of the gameplay flaws were introduced by bungie in reach! yeah maybe some things like custom loadouts didnt help but thats a pretty small problem compared to what bungie did to multiplayer.
>
> you keep treating bungie and previous halos like they were perfect but they arnt, they were going on a steady decline and 343 through campaign has managed to rebuild the franchises reputation in a lot of areas.

We all know Reach was bad, Halo 4 is worse.

Halo reach wasnt part of the main story(master chief) nor was ODST i guess people wanted halo 4 to be like halo 3 where you cant kill somebody from one end of the map unless you have a sniper rifle i hate loadouts but at the same time i like them because it makes me feel different. I enjoyed the campaign not much to complain about that. If bungie made halo 4 it wouldnt be like halo reach. Bungie is a community that listens to its fans which makes me believe that their new game will be EPIC!!!

@o XaVi3r o

part of the problem i think 343 has is that they cant take the forums as everyone in the halo community and are trying hard not to alienate anyone, hell they gave us the BR and DMR. plus maybe microsoft stepped in and said, you can change this but they made feature x sell so dont mess with it for now.

No game made will ever be perfect to everyone playing it. I thought Halo 4 was a good starting point for 343 now they need to see what is working and what is not.

You’re right, they indeed don’t deserve half the $ they get.

/jk btw

I agree, Halo 4 has it’s faults as do most games for a time after release.

It’s still a really good game though, at with the tweaks of a title update, could be amazing.

Campaign is obviously great too.

Magnificant Campaign. Fantastic Spartan Ops Story. Great Weapon Sandbox. But…

“In this day and age you don’t want to be a campaign rental.” Cliff Bleszinski, Epic Games/Gears of War.

Sorry OP but i just read that first sentence and figured rest is like most threads i have seen so i’ll just comment on that.

Bungie made it pretty clear with this that they were done with the halo franchise and wanted to just be done with it and -Yoink!- breathing down there necks.

Halo 4 is a very good game with distinct flaws, 343 should be proud, but aware of what was done wrong. I think that the fact that this is their first game, that is amazing.

I think this game was kind of a wake up call though, it certainly has been met with a polarizing reception from the fans, with many calling it the best Halo yet, and others calling it the worst Halo yet. Hopefully 343 will learn some lessons and buck up their ideas for Halo 5. For me personally, this game is just like all the other Halos, good, not great.

> I don’t agree 100%, but I thank you for this post.

Pretty much this^ only because 343 did have the option to not take the path of Reach since they KNEW Reach was/is hated so much, like o XaVi3r o mentioned. However, if you think about it halo4 was in production before Reach came out, and by the time it did halo4 was well into the works (and 343 had many ideas) not to mention 343’s job was to “take the mantle of responsibility” from Bungie, and they saw the direction Bungie was going to take halo with Reach (before it even came out). Different ways to look at it I guess, also Microsoft is just as much to blame and more for MANY things. Imagine how it would have been if Bungie was solely aquired by Microsoft, Bungie had some of their independence for the most part, 343 has probably close to none.

But really, great post OP, took the words right out of my mouth.

I don’t think Reach is a terrible game at all. I enjoyed it a lot. Anyways, I agree. 343 is getting too much flack. It’s a great game even with it’s flaws.