343 don't put extended Lore characters in games

343 have started introducing game characters via extended Lore. In halo 5 nearly all the characters are, it would have been ok if they had explained where they come from but they didn’t.

When I first saw the Halo 5 campaign I hadn’t seen/read any extended Lore, so I didn’t know who most of the people were, how there were other spartan 2’s and how buck became a spartan. This had a massive impact on how I viewed the game.

Now I have found out about all this but I shouldn’t have had to because it should’ve been in the game.

This would have been easy for 343 to solve. All they needed was a few lines of dialogue at the start of the game and it would have made a lot more sense to me.

Anyone else think this is a problem?

I didn’t have this problem myself, but I saw it coming. To be fair, we can put the blame squarely on Bungie’s shoulders since Fred, Kelly, and Linda have been part of the lore since “Fall of Reach” which was published before Combat Evolved even released. Bungie ignored the lore and kept perpetuating the idea of Chief being “the last Spartan”.

And yeah, 343 could have done a better job explaining them … I was expecting Halo 5 to have a massive prologue explaining them better, but it didn’t. They did put Easter Eggs in CEA and Halo 4 about Linda (Halo 4’s Easter Egg was from a marine asking Chief if he knew her, saying he spotted for her once and that she was an amazing sniper), but those don’t tell you much, then there’s the H2A terminal showing Fred & Linda on their way to Earth to speak with UNSC brass just before the events of Halo 2, but again, besides telling those of you who only played the games that there are more Spartan 2’s out there (if even that), it didn’t do much else. 343 certainly could have done a better job catching everyone up on what’s been going on lore-wise in the game itself.

As far as Buck, if you were going recruit anyone to be a Spartan … hell, I’m surprised he wasn’t the first person they asked.

Nope. I’m a fan of the lore so I put down the controller and read a book every now and then. How about Locke? At least his backstory was a movie.

I’ve always said anyone who cares about the campaign should read the books too.

> 2533274883669557;2:
> far as Buck, if you were going recruit anyone to be a Spartan … hell, I’m surprised he wasn’t the first person they asked.

They did. He turned Jun down the first time around. Read New Blood. Tells you all about what happened to all the ODST characters.

> 2533274815582829;3:
> Nope. I’m a fan of the lore so I put down the controller and read a book every now and then. How about Locke? At least his backstory was a movie.
>
> I’ve always said anyone who cares about the campaign should read the books too.

I do read the books now but I hadn’t really before seeing halo 5

> 2535414465670670;5:
> > 2533274815582829;3:
> > Nope. I’m a fan of the lore so I put down the controller and read a book every now and then. How about Locke? At least his backstory was a movie.
> >
> > I’ve always said anyone who cares about the campaign should read the books too.
>
>
> I do read the books now but I hadn’t really before seeing halo 5

It’s not like they haven’t been available…for years…at least most of them. Heck 343 made a big deal the year before Halo 5 launched about all the fiction they would release leading up to the game. There was a lot of opportunity to catch up before launch.

As a side note: 343 said pre-launch a character from the Hunt The Truth series would make a cameo in Halo 5. Anyone know what character it was???

> 2533274815582829;6:
> > 2535414465670670;5:
> > > 2533274815582829;3:
> > > Nope. I’m a fan of the lore so I put down the controller and read a book every now and then. How about Locke? At least his backstory was a movie.
> > >
> > > I’ve always said anyone who cares about the campaign should read the books too.
> >
> >
> > I do read the books now but I hadn’t really before seeing halo 5
>
>
> It’s not like they haven’t been available…for years…at least most of them. Heck 343 made a big deal the year before Halo 5 launched about all the fiction they would release leading up to the game. There was a lot of opportunity to catch up before launch.
>
> As a side note: 343 said pre-launch a character from the Hunt The Truth series would make a cameo in Halo 5. Anyone know what character it was???

I’m not saying it hasn’t been around and I think that most of the lore is great but I had never been interested before

I remember Halo Waypoint making some excellent videos about past happenings in Halo. They should have made some about the Halo 5 characters’ back stories e.g. Buck, Tanaka, Locke etc.

They could then be accessible via links in the in-game Spartan Hub that could take you to the relevant video on the Halo Channel.

Good idea OP.

I agree that a lot of casual fans won’t be the ones spending 10s/100s of dollars on books so have no idea about the back-story.

What. That would be literally every character. Even Chief. Plus there are plenty of lines and dialogue telling about their background info. Also why is Buck becoming a Spartan IV that big of a deal to you? His original description of him literally said “if he were any better he’d be a spartan”

> 2533274831647860;9:
> What. That would be literally every character. Even Chief. Plus there are plenty of lines and dialogue telling about their background info. Also why is Buck becoming a Spartan IV that big of a deal to you? His original description of him literally said “if he were any better he’d be a spartan”

I don’t have a problem with buck becoming a spartan but I wasn’t told how in the game and I ment that 343 introduces characters in extended Lore and doesn’t give a backstory in the games

I agree, I said(when h5 first launched) the game isn’t friendly to new players of the series and even then to those who are long time fans. We shouldn’t have to read books to get an understanding on the characters, what events are going on in game, ect ect.

> 2533274923562209;11:
> I agree, I said(when h5 first launched) the game isn’t friendly to new players of the series and even then to those who are long time fans. We shouldn’t have to read books to get an understanding on the characters, what events are going on in game, ect ect.

Yes. Thank you

I don’t mind this… but I’ll agree it’s not very new player friendly. I’ve read most of the books so I knew some of what’s going on, pretty much the only thing I didn’t know about was the domain.

I think a cutscene showing Chief reuniting with Blue team and explaining a little bit their history, and a cutscene of maybe Lasky choosing Osiris for the task and then having a small bio for each character would have been cool, and would have helped people that didn’t read the books/comics.

> 2533274876916610;14:
> I think a cutscene showing Chief reuniting with Blue team and explaining a little bit their history, and a cutscene of maybe Lasky choosing Osiris for the task and then having a small bio for each character would have been cool, and would have helped people that didn’t read the books/comics.

That would be good

If you actually listen to what is said in the game during game play you got general backgrounds of the characters… pay better attention… sorry it is not spoon fed to you…