343, Don't Divide Us Again Like Reach

Well 343, now that Halo 4 is fast approaching, and Reach will soon fade into the past, I hope you’re approaching the playlists in the correct manner.

Not just for launch, but also the inevitable patches and title updates, and I really hope you don’t ever do it again like you did with Reach.

Dividing the community between “TU” and “Vanilla” playlists was a tragic mistake in a lot of players’ views. You have to treat us as one community. There are different play styles, of course, but there are certain ways to go about catering to those different types of players.

Halo 3 did it right. We had a set of ranked playlists, and a set of social playlists. But the important thing to note here was that it was the same behavior of game mechanics no matter what set you went into.

With Reach, you screwed up. You heavily altered the behavior of weapons and abilities in one set and left them alone in another set. You made it even worse when you made further alterations in the Anniversary playlists.

The point is, if and when you have to patch a weapon, ability, or game mechanic, as in change the way it behaves, please do it across ALL playlists. You’re never going to please everyone, and when you try to, like in Reach’s TU, you end up pleasing no one.

The casual and competitive crowds have rarely ever gotten along, but at least back in 2004-2009, we were one community, because Bungie fed us from one “update pot” in a manner of speaking. I hope to return to that in this new trilogy.

I like the fact that they had a seperate playlist for Vanilla. They did there homework and the community was split anyway, half liked reach the way it was and half wanted change. They catered to both. I guarantee if they hadn’t then there would be threads saying the exact opposite of this, “we should have seperate playlists. y u no cater 2 evry1 343”.

Hopefully there won’t be any need for such a drastic change to mechanics in Halo 4 anyway.

> I like the fact that they had a seperate playlist for Vanilla. They did there homework and the community was split anyway, half liked reach the way it was and half wanted change. They catered to both. I guarantee if they hadn’t then there would be threads saying the exact opposite of this, “we should have seperate playlists. y u no cater 2 evry1 343”.
>
> Hopefully there won’t be any need for such a drastic change to mechanics in Halo 4 anyway.

But then a lot of players who like a variety of playlists, but a universal gameplay experience, get the shaft.

Take myself for example. I love a whole lot of Reach’s offerings. Team Slayer, Rumble Pit, BTB, Grifball.

But after I get done with Slayer, I have to try and remember that if I go over to BTB, the DMR behaves differently, and so do the armor abilities.

> I like the fact that they had a seperate playlist for Vanilla. They did there homework and <mark>the community was split anyway, half liked reach the way it was and half wanted change.</mark> They catered to both. I guarantee if they hadn’t then there would be threads saying the exact opposite of this, “we should have seperate playlists. y u no cater 2 evry1 343”.
>
> Hopefully there won’t be any need for such a drastic change to mechanics in Halo 4 anyway.

Exactly. That’s why a lot of people just went back to Halo 3. Limiting options isn’t going to unite people, it will further divide them. You could either have the community on the same game playing in different playlists or have a part of the community leave altogether.

> > I like the fact that they had a seperate playlist for Vanilla. They did there homework and <mark>the community was split anyway, half liked reach the way it was and half wanted change.</mark> They catered to both. I guarantee if they hadn’t then there would be threads saying the exact opposite of this, “we should have seperate playlists. y u no cater 2 evry1 343”.
> >
> > Hopefully there won’t be any need for such a drastic change to mechanics in Halo 4 anyway.
>
> Exactly. That’s why a lot of people just went back to Halo 3. Limiting options isn’t going to unite people, it will further divide them. You could either have the community on the same game playing in different playlists or have a part of the community leave altogether.

I’d take the same game with different playlists. If players can’t adapt to a patch and quit playing, they didn’t really want to keep playing.

TU should have been across the board in Reach. I guarantee 90% of the population still doesn’t know what TU is and just dont vote for it because they get beaten by a greater margin due to the bigger skill gap.

343 literally could have just TU’d all of matchmaking without putting TU in the gametype name and most of the player base wouldn’t even have noticed.

> TU should have been across the board in Reach. I guarantee 90% of the population still doesn’t know what TU is and just dont vote for it because they get beaten by a greater margin due to the bigger skill gap.
>
> 343 literally could have just TU’d all of matchmaking without putting TU in the gametype name and most of the player base wouldn’t even have noticed.

Exactly my point, thank you. I could’ve taken it either way, either ALL Vanilla and continued playing like I was, or ALL TU and adapted across the board. But because I move around the playlists frequently, my performance suffers because said changes were not across the board.

I agree completely, if 343i has a TU for Halo 4 then they should apply it to the whole game. Also I don’t think the game should be split between the way Halo 4 was meant to be played and “classic”. 343i should stick to their guns and make most of Halo 4 to be just that and then have ONE classic list that is 4v4 or 5v5 filled with slayer and objective gametypes.

While 343’s current handling of Reach Matchmaking hasn’t the best, we have to keep in mind that Bungie were the ones that created a lot of the Reach’s Matchmaking issues and it took until 343 came along to actually get a TU. Even though it should be across the board, we should be happy 343 at least gave us the TU we were asking for.

And I personally believe the community was split up long before the TU came around.

So in other words appeal to one side of the community and force the other side to play what is there?

I’m sorry but isn’t that the point of custom game options? Make the game how you would want to play it, whether it’s classic, vanilla, MLG, Grifball, etc?

Forcing people to play only one thing isn’t the way to go.

> While 343’s current handling of Reach Matchmaking hasn’t the best, we have to keep in mind that Bungie were the ones that created a lot of the Reach’s Matchmaking issues and it took until 343 came along to actually get a TU. Even though it should be across the board, we should be happy 343 at least gave us the TU we were asking for.
>
> And I personally believe the community was split up long before the TU came around.

True, the blame is not all 343’s. There was a shocking amount of inaction during Bungie’s reign of Reach.

> So in other words appeal to one side of the community and force the other side to play what is there?
>
> I’m sorry but isn’t that the point of custom game options? Make the game how you would want to play it, whether it’s classic, vanilla, MLG, Grifball, etc?
>
> Forcing people to play only one thing isn’t the way to go.

343 holds a gun to their consumer’s heads and forces them to play (and buy) something they don’t want to? Didn’t know that.

Fact of the matter is, no one is forcing anyone to play anything.

> > So in other words appeal to one side of the community and force the other side to play what is there?
> >
> > I’m sorry but isn’t that the point of custom game options? Make the game how you would want to play it, whether it’s classic, vanilla, MLG, Grifball, etc?
> >
> > Forcing people to play only one thing isn’t the way to go.
>
> 343 holds a gun to their consumer’s heads and forces them to play (and buy) something they don’t want to? Didn’t know that.
>
> Fact of the matter is, no one is forcing anyone to play anything.

Thanks. Didn’t quite know how to put it myself. If you don’t like the way the game plays, there is one very simple button to solve everything.

Eject.

> > So in other words appeal to one side of the community and force the other side to play what is there?
> >
> > I’m sorry but isn’t that the point of custom game options? Make the game how you would want to play it, whether it’s classic, vanilla, MLG, Grifball, etc?
> >
> > Forcing people to play only one thing isn’t the way to go.
>
> 343 holds a gun to their consumer’s heads and forces them to play (and buy) something they don’t want to? Didn’t know that.
>
> Fact of the matter is, no one is forcing anyone to play anything.

So again don’t do anything for the other side of the community?

> > > So in other words appeal to one side of the community and force the other side to play what is there?
> > >
> > > I’m sorry but isn’t that the point of custom game options? Make the game how you would want to play it, whether it’s classic, vanilla, MLG, Grifball, etc?
> > >
> > > Forcing people to play only one thing isn’t the way to go.
> >
> > 343 holds a gun to their consumer’s heads and forces them to play (and buy) something they don’t want to? Didn’t know that.
> >
> > Fact of the matter is, no one is forcing anyone to play anything.
>
> Thanks. Didn’t quite know how to put it myself. If you don’t like the way the game plays, there is one very simple button to solve everything.
>
> Eject.

Then they lost a huge portion of the community because they were ignored.

We were lucky we even got a TU Bungie kept saying there was nothing wrong with reach i thank 343.

> > I like the fact that they had a seperate playlist for Vanilla. They did there homework and <mark>the community was split anyway, half liked reach the way it was and half wanted change.</mark> They catered to both. I guarantee if they hadn’t then there would be threads saying the exact opposite of this, “we should have seperate playlists. y u no cater 2 evry1 343”.
> >
> > Hopefully there won’t be any need for such a drastic change to mechanics in Halo 4 anyway.
>
> Exactly. That’s why a lot of people just went back to Halo 3. Limiting options isn’t going to unite people, it will further divide them. You could either have the community on the same game playing in different playlists or have a part of the community leave altogether.

Sure but in the grand scheme of things, there’s more $ to be made catering to the causal consumer than there is for the Halo community. CoD has huge sales $'s so 343/MS have to dumb the game down in order to make $. They try to make it up with these playlists but in a way, the damage has been done

Many are glad that the title update did what it did. Those you preferred vanilla still got their fix just as well. I just wish a few of the minor fixes like the AL-nerf and bleedthrough were in Vanilla.

But you know, different opinions and that…

> > > > So in other words appeal to one side of the community and force the other side to play what is there?
> > > >
> > > > I’m sorry but isn’t that the point of custom game options? Make the game how you would want to play it, whether it’s classic, vanilla, MLG, Grifball, etc?
> > > >
> > > > Forcing people to play only one thing isn’t the way to go.
> > >
> > > 343 holds a gun to their consumer’s heads and forces them to play (and buy) something they don’t want to? Didn’t know that.
> > >
> > > Fact of the matter is, no one is forcing anyone to play anything.
> >
> > Thanks. Didn’t quite know how to put it myself. If you don’t like the way the game plays, there is one very simple button to solve everything.
> >
> > Eject.
>
> Then they lost a huge portion of the community because they were ignored.

I sincerely doubt it would be as “huge” as you claim. A great number of gamers play with what they get. I happily played Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, and adapted to all the changes that were made with each game.

There are always going to be the entitled nostalgists that will go “OMG why did you change this it was perfect!!!”.

Do you know what would happen if 343 got the “perfect” formula, and didn’t change a thing from release to release.

We’d be paying for the same thing on a different disc over and over, and before you know it, we’re throwing money away like the CoD community.

I can understand what some of the opposition is saying. Absolutely. But it doesn’t change the fact that the way 343 implemented the TU was flawed.

If they wanted to please both parties (because, yes, we were pretty much split down the middle last year), is take ALL playlists in the system, and make a Vanilla hopper, and a TU hopper.

Because I love straight up 4 on 4 slayer. But it’s Vanilla only.

And I also love the huge chaotic Big Team Battle. Uh oh, that’s TU only.

Do you see my point?