343, clarification on the Scarab...

I was just looking at your ordinance piece on the Scarab (love these fiction bits, btw… thanks). Does this confirm that ALL Scarabs are Lekgolo colony-based? Including the Halo 2 Scarab?

Grim

> I was just looking at your ordinance piece on the Scarab (love these fiction bits, btw… thanks). Does this confirm that ALL Scarabs are Lekgolo colony-based? Including the Halo 2 Scarab?
>
> Grim

The article is referencing the Scarabs found in Halo 3, Halo Wars, ODST and Reach, as evidenced by the images and the specs. Beyond that is speculation. :slight_smile:

I would love to say, “Thanks! That helped a lot!” But it didn’t. :wink:

Grim

> I would love to say, “Thanks! That helped a lot!” But it didn’t. :wink:
>
> Grim

I know that feeling. I’ve wanted to know what city that was in the halo wars opening cutscene. Got a blurry answer.

I’m sure there is at least one Scarab out there that is not Lekgolo-based. But as mentioned earlier… speculation.

The thing I don’t care for is the fact that somehow shooting the hive causes… a chain reaction of energy??? From WORMS??? That just doesn’t make sense. At the very least you should make it so the hive is the center of the scarab’s nervous center and it dies when it gets shot. That way you could have the Scarab stumble around and make a screaming noise. You could even have a jack function where after clearing the pilot room the spartan jumps on the hive and starts tearing it apart as the Scarab screams and stumbles around. (Maybe some people would find that distasteful though.) But I guess big explosions are cooler right?

Well, remember… it still is a big vehicle laden with high-end weaponry. It just happens to also be bonded with the Lekgolo as well, so it’s certainly not out of the question that it would create a big badaboom when it all goes pear-shaped. A Scarab seems to be kind of like a giant Hunter/Covie vehicle cyborg.

Grim

It’s not out of the question but it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Wouldn’t the worms just be the source of locomotion? I don’t see why they would be tied into the weaponry. I also find it a bit hard to believe that something that big wouldn’t have a shield on it, but I can see how that just wouldn’t work from a gameplay perspective.

The worms themselves might simply provide more of a “brain”; transmitting data, info, etc. Also, perhaps the lack of a shield has to do with the power generation requirements required to sustain it.

Grim

It would be nice if we had a bit more info on the matter. My impression was that the worms ran through the entire structure and it moved like an animal. I think it said something about the pilots ‘guiding’ the scarab rather than steering it.

> The worms themselves might simply provide more of a “brain”; transmitting data, info, etc. Also, perhaps the lack of a shield has to do with the power generation requirements required to sustain it.
>
> Grim

That leads me to another funny question… what do the worms eat? Maybe the worms feed and store energy somehow, which would explain both how their death causes an explosion and how they might be fed. Or maybe they just need to refill on some sort of worm food every now and again. (Maybe that’s what the orange stuff is!)

> I would love to say, “Thanks! That helped a lot!” But it didn’t. :wink:
>
> Grim

The Bungie spirit is alive and well at 343i.

> > I would love to say, “Thanks! That helped a lot!” But it didn’t. :wink:
> >
> > Grim
>
> The Bungie spirit is alive and well at 343i.

343i replies more and I believe they don’t know.

… … I think … …

> 343i replies more and I believe they don’t know.
>
> … … I think … …

It’s a tongue in cheek joke. =P

One critical factor to be aware of is that firing a ballistic round into Lekgolo tissue: When the tissue mass/colony is being shaped a specific way by armor (as in many Mgalekgolo colonies), the bullet will continue to ricochet inside the armor carapace until it loses significant velocity or finds a perpendicular armor plate (or power juncture). The design of this armor, both in Hunters and Scarabs, is made for the benefit of the Lekgolo worms’ collective movement, with little consideration for close arms fire. After all, the Covenant don’t fancy ballistic weaponry and most humans don’t get that close to Hunters or Scarabs for that matter. That said, once a bullet does get in there it can cause some pretty catastrophic damage to the colony.

Also, Staten’s gone to great lengths explaining what the Lekgolo consume. Do a quick search through Contact Harvest and you’ll see some interesting tidbits about the Lekgolo diet on Te’s rings and within High Charity.

> One critical factor to be aware of is that firing a ballistic round into Lekgolo tissue: When the tissue mass/colony is being shaped a specific way by armor (as in many Mgalekgolo colonies), the bullet will continue to ricochet inside the armor carapace until it loses significant velocity or finds a perpendicular armor plate (or power juncture). The design of this armor, both in Hunters and Scarabs, is made for the benefit of the Lekgolo worms’ collective movement, with little consideration for close arms fire. After all, the Covenant don’t fancy ballistic weaponry and most humans don’t get that close to Hunters or Scarabs for that matter. That said, once a bullet does get in there it can cause some pretty catastrophic damage to the colony.
>
> Also, Staten’s gone to great lengths explaining what the Lekgolo consume. Do a quick search through Contact Harvest and you’ll see some interesting tidbits about the Lekgolo diet on Te’s rings and within High Charity.

Yay new canon info! Now it makes sense!

Hey have yall been reading Halo Timeline? Well i think somewhere when i was looking at a Halo Timeline i found out why a Scarab explodes. I think that it Self-Destructs once the brain (lekgolo) dies so that no enemies can use the scarab against them like figuring out how to drive it or putting freindly Lekgolo in it.