343, can you PLEASE update FFA. :)

Hey Guys,

So as many of you may have noticed. FFA is completely lackluster in Reach right now. I think this spawns from a few different problems:

1. Armor lock - It has no place in an FFA enviornment, where EVERYONE is you’re enemy and you need to be able to kill quick and move on to the next target. AL gives a player 6 seconds of invincibility, which is just too much time to spend waiting.

2. Camo - Although not as bad as AL in FFA, it promotes very cheesy tactics like hiding around corners and just waiting, which doesn’t really work in Team games, but in FFA it just creates an enviornment that is just not fun. Once you have a few people using it on a small map, it quickly turns into a slow paced crouch walking check every corner type gameplay. Not fun

3. Map selection/Weapon combination - This is a big one, it seems like the maps haven’t been updated in ages, and the fact that the weapon selection on the maps is just not well thought out for FFA. Shotguns and Sprint + Sword dominates AR matches, and levels like Pinnacle and swordbase are just not well suited for FFA.

So, just a few problems have turned the FFA into undeniably the WORST FFA out of the series. I think the easiest solution to this would be very simple.

Take what we had for FFA arena, and put it in place of Rumble pit now. FFA arena was DMR/AR spawns(Which is great cause you can have players voting based on what map they want, instead of what weapon), it also had power weapons removed, which was good because as we all know, spawning on FFA is random, so it grants one lucky player instant access to an easy to use powerweapon (Ie, spawning shotgun on countdown, rockets on reflection/powerhouse, sword on swordbase etc.) Although a solution to this could also be to have powerweapons spawn in 1 minute after the match starts.

Then, all we need to do is update the maps, add in some quality FFA Forge maps, and remove some of the bad ones. I personally think this would improve the FFA experience in this game GREATLY and would like to see what you guys think.

Toxic

No to just arena. Some people want to have a casual FFA. Which is why we need 2 FFA gametypes.

> No to just arena. Some people want to have a casual FFA. Which is why we need 2 FFA gametypes.

I’m not saying we should have arena FFA return, I’m saying that we would just model our current FFA after what they had for Arena FFA. It would still be casual as it would allow quests and would still have social truskill MM. I don’t think having 2 playlists is the answer. We need a refined singular FFA experience, trimming the fat so to speak

> > No to just arena. Some people want to have a casual FFA. Which is why we need 2 FFA gametypes.
>
> I’m not saying we should have arena FFA return, I’m saying that we would just model our current FFA after what they had for Arena FFA. It would still be casual as it would allow quests and would still have social truskill MM. I don’t think having 2 playlists is the answer. We need a refined singular FFA experience, trimming the fat so to speak

Having a single FFA playlist which pleases everyone is impossible.

> > > No to just arena. Some people want to have a casual FFA. Which is why we need 2 FFA gametypes.
> >
> > I’m not saying we should have arena FFA return, I’m saying that we would just model our current FFA after what they had for Arena FFA. It would still be casual as it would allow quests and would still have social truskill MM. I don’t think having 2 playlists is the answer. We need a refined singular FFA experience, trimming the fat so to speak
>
> Having a single FFA playlist which pleases everyone is impossible.

This is true, but that doesn’t mean we cannot make attempts to fix the ONLY FFA experience we have right now.

I’ve been playing FFA since CE, and something has GOT to be done about reach FFA. I’ve yet to meet a single person (Whos not a complete scrub, yes I said it, SCRUB) that doesn’t think FFA in reach is a complete joke. Lets make it better for the majority, and take out the trash. It’s really not asking too much is it?

I mean, who would you rather satisy, the players who are completely oblivious anyway, and it doesn’t really make a difference to them in the least? Or the players who are long time FFA fans, and are completely disgusted about what they have to play in Reach?

> > > > No to just arena. Some people want to have a casual FFA. Which is why we need 2 FFA gametypes.
> > >
> > > I’m not saying we should have arena FFA return, I’m saying that we would just model our current FFA after what they had for Arena FFA. It would still be casual as it would allow quests and would still have social truskill MM. I don’t think having 2 playlists is the answer. We need a refined singular FFA experience, trimming the fat so to speak
> >
> > Having a single FFA playlist which pleases everyone is impossible.
>
> This is true, but that doesn’t mean we cannot make attempts to fix the ONLY FFA experience we have right now.
>
> I’ve been playing FFA since CE, and something has GOT to be done about reach FFA. I’ve yet to meet a single person (Whos not a complete scrub, yes I said it, SCRUB) that doesn’t think FFA in reach is a complete joke. Lets make it better for the majority, and take out the trash. It’s really not asking too much is it?
>
> I mean, who would you rather satisy, the players who are completely oblivious anyway, and it doesn’t really make a difference to them in the least? Or the players who are long time FFA fans, and are completely disgusted about what they have to play in Reach?

Well I agree, but I’d also like more casual aspects to FFA as well. The swords gametype from halo 3 for instance.

Right now FFA is some mashed up hybrid of competitive and casual which nobody enjoys. Which is why their should be 2 distinct playlists for it.

> > > > > No to just arena. Some people want to have a casual FFA. Which is why we need 2 FFA gametypes.
> > > >
> > > > I’m not saying we should have arena FFA return, I’m saying that we would just model our current FFA after what they had for Arena FFA. It would still be casual as it would allow quests and would still have social truskill MM. I don’t think having 2 playlists is the answer. We need a refined singular FFA experience, trimming the fat so to speak
> > >
> > > Having a single FFA playlist which pleases everyone is impossible.
> >
> > This is true, but that doesn’t mean we cannot make attempts to fix the ONLY FFA experience we have right now.
> >
> > I’ve been playing FFA since CE, and something has GOT to be done about reach FFA. I’ve yet to meet a single person (Whos not a complete scrub, yes I said it, SCRUB) that doesn’t think FFA in reach is a complete joke. Lets make it better for the majority, and take out the trash. It’s really not asking too much is it?
> >
> > I mean, who would you rather satisy, the players who are completely oblivious anyway, and it doesn’t really make a difference to them in the least? Or the players who are long time FFA fans, and are completely disgusted about what they have to play in Reach?
>
> Well I agree, but I’d also like more casual aspects to FFA as well. The swords gametype from halo 3 for instance.
>
> Right now FFA is some mashed up hybrid of competitive and casual which nobody enjoys. Which is why their should be 2 distinct playlists for it.

I disagree james, having 2 playlists is not the answer, it will just further divide the dwindling FFA population even further. We need something that’ll boost the population not effectively just put the FFA lovers in one, and the casuals in another. The reason 2 FFA playlists worked in H3, was because everything was split between ranked and social. But this doesn’t work with reach (See Arena FFA), it’s not because FFA arena was bad, it’s just because people don’t like the arena system. So effectively we would get 2 social FFA playlists. Which I can guarantee would not help the overall FFA situation in reach.

We really do need to just modify our singular FFA, to be more balanced and fun for everyone.

Also James, I do agree about adding new casual gametypes into Reach FFA. Random sword matches was kinda fun, honestly, I just think Camo and AL need to go, and we should start with AR/DMR everytime so we can focus more on voting for what map we want, instead of what weapon. Then just removing some of the bad maps, and put in some new ones. Don’t really think it’s viable to create a whole new playlist just for that

Well if I had my way AL would be gone from everything but BTB and invasion. But I actually like camo. I’d also like their to be a ranked/social divide like their was in H3.

> Well if I had my way AL would be gone from everything but BTB and invasion. But I actually like camo. I’d also like their to be a ranked/social divide like their was in H3.

Yah, I don’t mind Camo generally, even in FFA it’s not THAT bad. But when you have like 4 people using it, it gets stupid VERY quickly.

and AL has NO place in FFA, as I said before, FFA is just too fast paced an enviornment, with too many enemies to have to wait around for 6 seconds just for an enemy to exit armor lock. It gets even worse when you have multiple people using it.

I would love if the playlists were setup like they were in H3, I would also love it if weekend playlists returned. Nothing beats jumping on halo on thursday evening and checking out what kind of shananagins was going down for the weekend.

Good post, man.

AAs are just trash in general and don’t belong in a Halo game. I think they were just thrown in the game to make 8 year olds giggle every time they use it. “Oh, tee-hee. I’m in Armor Lock now!~ I’m so shiny and blue!~ Tee-hee!~”

> Good post, man.
>
> AAs are just trash in general and don’t belong in a Halo game. I think they were just thrown in the game to make 8 year olds giggle every time they use it. “Oh, tee-hee. I’m in Armor Lock now!~ I’m so shiny and blue!~ Tee-hee!~”

I agree on that but the problem is, while ANY AA is in Reach, others need to be there to counter it. Either remove them all, or limit it to 3. But I prefered equipment by miles.

> > Good post, man.
> >
> > AAs are just trash in general and don’t belong in a Halo game. I think they were just thrown in the game to make 8 year olds giggle every time they use it. “Oh, tee-hee. I’m in Armor Lock now!~ I’m so shiny and blue!~ Tee-hee!~”
>
> I agree on that but the problem is, while ANY AA is in Reach, others need to be there to counter it. Either remove them all, or limit it to 3. But I prefered equipment by miles.

Oh God, equipment was sooo much better. It just made the maps have that much more dynamic. Creating instances of creative crazyness when mixed and matched. Grav lift + Powerdrain? lol. Throwing a powerdrain at someone in Bubble sheild, and having the power drain push the bubble sheild away? lol. Regen in a bubble? lol. Grav lift + bubble + nade = lol. throwing a trip mine in a gravlift, then shooting it? Oh god yes.

All that and more was replaced with Herpaderp AL, Camo (Which already existed in a better format) Jetpacks (Which are meh) and hologram(which is fun i’ll admit). IMO, we all just shouldve been given sprint, and they should’ve reworked the equipment, Hologram and jetpack couldve been implemented as regenerating equipment too, which would’ve been cool.

But either way, we have to work with what we have now, and I wanna play some good FFA matches, it can’t be that hard

Another aspect of AAs is that they contribute to framerate/drop in the game right now. Think about that!

> Another aspect of AAs is that they contribute to framerate/drop in the game right now. Think about that!

Variety!

There’s no FUN in optimal framerate performance.

Stop taking the game so seriously.

> > Another aspect of AAs is that they contribute to framerate/drop in the game right now. Think about that!
>
> Variety!
>
> There’s no FUN in optimal framerate performance.
>
> Stop taking the game so seriously.

No fun in optimal framerate performance? mmm what?

It’s not about taking the game so seriously, it’s about players wanting a fun balanced enviornment to battle in. That is all, nothing more, nothing less. FFA is in dire need of some love, if you don’t play it, then you have no idea. FFA in reach is a hollow shell of what it used to be in previous games. The shame is, it doesn’t have to be that way, a few small tweaks and it could be great.

Anguish is knowing what could’ve been, but never was.

> > > Another aspect of AAs is that they contribute to framerate/drop in the game right now. Think about that!
> >
> > Variety!
> >
> > There’s no FUN in optimal framerate performance.
> >
> > Stop taking the game so seriously.
>
> No fun in optimal framerate performance? mmm what?
>
> It’s not about taking the game so seriously, it’s about players wanting a fun balanced enviornment to battle in. That is all, nothing more, nothing less. FFA is in dire need of some love, if you don’t play it, then you have no idea. FFA in reach is a hollow shell of what it used to be in previous games. The shame is, it doesn’t have to be that way, a few small tweaks and it could be great.
>
> Anguish is knowing what could’ve been, but never was.

You clearly don’t know me well enough.

> > > > Another aspect of AAs is that they contribute to framerate/drop in the game right now. Think about that!
> > >
> > > Variety!
> > >
> > > There’s no FUN in optimal framerate performance.
> > >
> > > Stop taking the game so seriously.
> >
> > No fun in optimal framerate performance? mmm what?
> >
> > It’s not about taking the game so seriously, it’s about players wanting a fun balanced enviornment to battle in. That is all, nothing more, nothing less. FFA is in dire need of some love, if you don’t play it, then you have no idea. FFA in reach is a hollow shell of what it used to be in previous games. The shame is, it doesn’t have to be that way, a few small tweaks and it could be great.
> >
> > Anguish is knowing what could’ve been, but never was.
>
> You clearly don’t know me well enough.

Nope, how could I? I’ve only just met you :slight_smile: to that end, hey i’m Toxicacidsnake (Dylan), and love FFA, have been playing it since the beginning. I’m just looking for some love to be given to a playlist that has been neglected like a lost puppy.

> > > > Another aspect of AAs is that they contribute to framerate/drop in the game right now. Think about that!
> > >
> > > Variety!
> > >
> > > There’s no FUN in optimal framerate performance.
> > >
> > > Stop taking the game so seriously.
> >
> > No fun in optimal framerate performance? mmm what?
> >
> > It’s not about taking the game so seriously, it’s about players wanting a fun balanced enviornment to battle in. That is all, nothing more, nothing less. FFA is in dire need of some love, if you don’t play it, then you have no idea. FFA in reach is a hollow shell of what it used to be in previous games. The shame is, it doesn’t have to be that way, a few small tweaks and it could be great.
> >
> > Anguish is knowing what could’ve been, but never was.
>
> You clearly don’t know me well enough.

I just facepalmed so hard, the recoil throw me over the back of my chair. I hope you’re proud. Of course he doesn’t know you! This is a forum on the interwebz!

Okay then, I’ll spoil the surprise and say I was being very sarcastic.