343 and Halo 5: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Hi everyone, I’m making a video titled: “Halo 5: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”. I want to hear opinions from all Halo fans. Please respect one another and try not to rant, but just share your opinion and thoughts on 343 and Halo 5 using constructive criticism.

QUESTIONS:

1. Why do you think Halo 5 was an unfinished game during launch? Was it Microsoft rushing and pressuring 343 to release the game before Holiday 2015? Is it acceptable that 343 is getting all the blame?

2. Halo 5 has some of the best arena multiplayer in Halo history in terms of fluidity and balance. Are you a fan of Halo 5 ARENA?

3. Halo 5’s advertising campaign?

4. Halo 5’s Bannhammer strictness?

5. The Achilles Armour and Warzone farming. Warzone now is either farm yourself or get farmed.

6. Are we complaining too much and not accepting change in Halo? In terms of the direction of the campaign, REQs, and the overall dynamics of Halo 5?

7. WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT HALO 5? (If you are going to write: nothing, then just don’t bother answering this question)

It would also be nice if you could make a list:
Excellent:
Good:
Bad:
Ugly:

Hope everyone can answer these questions and share any additional thoughts on 343i and Halo 5 as well!

Good.
Addictive multiplayer

Bad
Pretty much everything else
Including this.

Ugly
Campaign, warden eternal, sprint

> 2533274879407634;2:
> Good.
> Addictive multiplayer
>
> Bad
> Pretty much everything else
> Including this.
>
> Ugly
> Campaign, warden eternal, sprint

Thanks for linking the playable elites post! Much more content for the video :smiley:

1. Because the community has incredible expectations regarding the content from a halo game. It has to have forge, robust customs, fine tuned arena, multiple game modes like griffball, infection, assault, oddball as well as complicated features such as a theatre system, file share, not to mention the single player campaign in co-op, and it has to provide more stuff. And we want it all now! The truth is that these features simply take development time and it has gotten to the point where a Halo game needs so much stuff - there has to be compromises at launch or a longer development cycle, or post launch development cycle (as seen with H5)

2. As a lover of Halo 3, yes I think H5 is a total return to form. It’s a finely balanced experience in terms of moment to moment gameplay, could use some adjustment in a few areas and I may personally prefer a slightly slower pace. Overall it is just fun and competitive. The dedicated servers are fantastic, never has Halo been more fair connection wise. The new aiming feels very skill based and of course we have equal starts, map control, a starting utility weapon- all the things which made competitive Halo2/3 great.

3. HTT was fantastic but ultimately lead nowhere. The marketing did not match the final product and I can’t help but feel that Locke is a shadow of what he could have been. They could have done a better job of managing expectations in regards to launch and post launch content.

4. I personally haven’t suffered and games I play are not often plagued by leavers. I feel like it’s doing a good job, if a little harsh on sporadic internet dropouts.

5. The game definitely needs to match teams with teams both in Arena and Warzone, whether there’s the population to support this is questionable.

6. Complaining is useless - constructive criticism is worth more than gold. Many people come on here and pour their hearts into posts (we’ve all done it at some stage, lets be honest) because we love this series, I find it hard to denounce people who are vehemently passionate about the direction of their favourite game - could definitely be more constructive criticism especially on this particular forum.

7. I like a lot of things about Halo 5, the dedicated servers, the incredible forge, the community, out-magnuming someone, executing a perfect thrust-slide-jump…

All that said:
Theres a list of about 15-20 things which Halo 5 really needs right now, here are a couple of the main ones I consider most important:

• Social Arena playlist including community made maps - In game File Share - Custom Games Browser - Matchmaking adjustment to make sure teams vs teams and lower skilled players vs lower skilled players.

1.No forge at launch.But they added it latter.After they added it I think halo5 becomes a finished game.
2.Halo5 has great arena multiplayer.The maps are pretty good too.But the maps feels to similar to each other.
3.The advertising on the campaign is like «Locke VS Master chief»super awesome battle .But reality,its not.
343 also put the main focus on fireteam Osiris but not blue team.I buy halo5 for chief, not for Locke.
The story is also kind of…weird?
4.ban hammer ?
You quit 2 games your banned.If you quit because you press the quit button by yourself,you deserve to get banned.But if the problem is your internet conection ,you shouldn’t be banned
What do I think? Ban hammer screw you~
5.Achilles armour is the main reason people farm.
No Achilles no farm~
6. REQS are fine with me .
7.well…its a game with some crazy weapons ,vehicles and cool armour.Why not play it?

> 2533274903350945;3:
> > 2533274879407634;2:
> > Good.
> > Addictive multiplayer
> >
> > Bad
> > Pretty much everything else
> > Including this.
> >
> > Ugly
> > Campaign, warden eternal, sprint
>
>
> Thanks for linking the playable elites post! Much more content for the video :smiley:

No problem… you know what that’s the biggest thread on all of waypoint and they still haven’t responded to it, an it’s been up since before halo 4 was out.

> 2533274879407634;2:
> Good.
> Addictive multiplayer
>
> Bad
> Pretty much everything else
> Including this.
>
> Ugly
> Campaign, warden eternal, sprint

This^ Except the Sprint which has been nerfed so much but probably needs to be nerfed to limited sprint instead of unlimited which would fix the problem more.

The good: free map packs
The bad: arena
The ugly: req packs

> 2533274903350945;1:
> 5. The Achilles Armour and Warzone farming. Warzone now is either farm yourself or get farmed.

-A flower appears wearing an Achilles helmet-

“IN THIS GAME IT’S FARM OR BE FARMED!”

> 2533274875324729;9:
> > 2533274903350945;1:
> > 5. The Achilles Armour and Warzone farming. Warzone now is either farm yourself or get farmed.
>
>
> -A flower appears wearing an Achilles helmet-
>
> “IN THIS GAME IT’S FARM OR BE FARMED!”

“You must be new to the A.R.C.”
You feel Palmer chiding at your ear.
*You feel like you’re gonna have a bad time.

Good:
Free stuff you can get, and the story, cool armor

Bad:
Multiplayer, hackers, cheaters, and undivided skill level, and -Yoinking!- banning I quit one match because I had to go somewhere and it banned me for 6 DAYS from warzone and arena. And. I was playing BTB and as soon as the game started the enemy team already have 25 points and my blue team just messed arround killing eachother and getting themselves banned and then I was the only player left.

Ugly:
Very expensive for the Gold packs.

Good: Very, very solid gameplay and very fun at that.

Bad: the constant tweaking, Halo 5 now is nothing alike Halo 5 at launch. Everything else.

While I always welcome a chance to tell people my opinions, I’d like to point out that asking people on these forums is only sampling a small and very likely biased sample of people who play Halo. Please keep that in mind when you make your video.

1. Why was it unfinished at launch? I don’t know.
  2. Am I fan of Halo 5 arena? No, except for BTB, action sack, and infection.
  3. Thoughts on advertising campaign? I’ve heard it was misleading but I didn’t pay much attention to it.
  4. Banhammer strictness? I’m just surprised that people want it to be even stricter. I’m not sure if that’s the best way to stop quitters.
  5. Achilles armor and farming? I think it would have helped for 343 to make more armors unlockable from commendations and achievements.
  6. Are we complaining too much? Rather than complaining too much, I think people are just getting influenced by Youtubers too much.
  7. What I like about Halo 5: Awesome forge mode, WZFF (despite all its flaws), action sack, BTB, infection, being able to switch seats in vehicles, funny grunts, Exuberant Witness, Buck, being able to spectate other players

Excellent and good: Everything I just listed.
Bad: LACK OF SPLIT-SCREEN, lack of BTB heavies and other playlists, all the problems with WZFF, req leveling in Warzone leads to a snowball effect, glitchy theater, the req pool is so bloated, loadout weapons and armor mods shouldn’t have to be unlocked, the req system in general
Ugly: 99% of the armors

The Good:
Forge. That’s pretty much it.

The Bad:
Arena multiplayer feels unbalanced; Motion Tracker range is too short to accommodate new additions like Spartan Charge, and makes for an especially frustrating experience when you’re either playing with randoms or Free-For-All. Multiplayer is too competitive with casual players getting the middle finger, as most of the core playlists- Team Slayer, Team Objective, and Free For All- do not have unranked versions.

The Ugly:
Pretty much every brand-new armor set they introduced. Classics like EOD, Mark V, and CQB were left out and replaced with complete crap that nobody asked for like Seeker and Mark V Alpha (why did they not just re-use the Halo 4 version of Mark V?), along with about a half-a-dozen reskins for each of these new armors. The REQ system is crap; unlocking the armor you want means grinding through 250+ armors that you most likely don’t want and will never use. Armor customization is stripped down, and we’re also still stuck with the colored GEN2 techsuits despite numerous complaints to get rid of them since Halo 4.

Warzone is the pay-to-win game mode nobody asked for, and has been made worse by Achilles armor and Warzone farming. Warzone Firefight is not an acceptable replacement for classic ODST/Reach style Firefight; it was supposed to be a more relaxed PvE mode, but they ruined it with hordes of hyper-lethal bullet-sponge enemies and unreasonable respawn penalties. To top it all of, it cannot be played offline, nor are there any custom game options, skulls, or even the ability to select the difficulty (Easy/Normal/Heroic/Legendary).

Campaign story is the worst in Halo history, and gameplay-wise it doesn’t really stand out. Missions are short and linear. No replay value. Only 3 missions as Blue Team. The game’s UI is trash. I honestly cannot understand why they don’t just revert to the old Reach-style UI.

Finally the art style, as ever, is garbage. Bungie nearly perfected the look and sound of Halo in Halo: Reach, the Covenant looked better than in any other Halo, the only possible exceptions being the Brutes (they looked cooler in Halo 3, IMO), and it had the best armor customization in the series… and yet, for some reason 343i went and changed it, and not for the better.

DO NOT REVIVE OLD THREADS.