3 Best and 3 Worst things about Halo 5....now

Now that for the most part the game feels pretty loaded and complete I wanted to see everyone’s opinion 7 months after launch. In any event some argue how amazing the free DLC was. Some pound the ground saying it all should have been there at launch. I am somewhere in between. But what I know is the game is pretty amazing now.

My 3 favorite Halo 5 crowning achievements:
1) The amount of Weapons that are effective when used at proper distance. This is THE most epic achievement of Halo 5. I think this goes underappreciated by most but this is a very difficult task to make 20+ weaps useful and not one or two OP-ville.

2) 99.5% of all of my deaths are completely my fault. This is also a great FPS achievement and the balanced starts up’s and count downs to power weaps really gives equal rights to this FPS and that is FPS purity. Just because Timmy is 18 with no job doesn’t mean he should have a plethora of pregame weapon advantages over the working guy.

3) Eventually they got the Banhammer going really good. The 1st couple of weeks were painful but once they fine tuned the ban-hammer its been going great. I finished a lot of games with all 4v4. It seems to be working as intended. And those that complain on the Forums are almost always exposed for their serial quitting. My only adjustment to BanHammer is if they are constant quitters eventually are forced to changed their in game call-out signs to DNF or QUIT so we can set proper expectations.

My 3 disappointments:
1) Lack of Split Screen. I know this drum has been beaten to death but this omission really made this game less family and friend oriented. We launched our Halo 5 LAN party playing Halo Reach and Halo4 because we didn’t have enough machines. So finally after Christmas we finally got our Halo 5 party but instead of 16 players like we used to do it was only realistic to set up 10. 10 full set up’s was a lot. On a more personal note my son spent over 100 days in the hospital and we couldn’t enjoy our Campaign Co-op without me buying 2 machines, 2 games, 2 XBL Golds, and bringing an additional monitor. Even though I knew Split-Screen wasn’t in Halo 5 I also felt bad for the parents who aren’t trolling gaming websites and forums so they had no idea this wasn’t in game and were confused when they couldn’t play side by side with their kid when they could in all the previous Halo versions. It was a bittersweet Christmas for a lot of people.

2) Pregame/Postgame Lobby. It seemed so much better in previous versions. It was easier to party up, everyone showing off their stances, pregame votes (although I kind of changed my tune on that. It forced everyone to get good at a ton of maps and not just choose Haven 100 times in a row like Halo 4).

3) More achievements through play and not RNG Req. To be honest I really don’t mind the Req cards. There are easy ways to earn points to get them and most people that spend hundred’s on them seem to die too quickly with their mythic or legendary item. However I think there needed to be better balance between what you earn in game compared to what you get with random cards. Even if it was 30% earned armor/skins/decals and 70% RNG Cards it would be better even though I would prefer something like 50/50.

These are my 3 now. My old number 2 was the reduced 18m radar but I have adjusted for the most part. Global server and connectivity inconsistency is also a very valid top 3 that would probably be my number 1 if I was experiencing those issues.

Good

• UNSC Air Vehicle Wasp - Tons of great mini custom games - Spartan Charge lolBad

• A flawed Req System - Bad story Campaign - Lack of customization and Elites

Best:

• Forge - Easily. It’s just a masterpiece and completely worth waiting for after Halo 5’s launch. - AI squad in Campaign - While it needs to be improved and refined, it’s basically taking the ability to have marines mixed with the squad from Halo Reach, and you actually put effort into keeping them alive and who tosoot first. - Free Updates - This is a controversial one, because most people think everything should have been here in Day One, but chances are that without the REQ system, these same updates would have been thrown in as paid DLC, which is even worse. Paid DLC would just split the community even more between “people who pay” and “people who don’t”, and there would be even more complaining. After seeing how Bungie handles DLC with Destiny and 343 with Halo 4, Free DLC is easily the best they can do.Worst:

• Firefight - There’s not much bad about Halo 5, but the way they’re handling Firefight right now is atrocious. The game used to be too easy to get to Round 5 without REQs, so they basically make sure you have to use REQs to get anywhere. If you’re a new player, you have no choice but bring everyone down with your inferior firepower. If you simply don’t have the REQs, then you’re basically a distraction. The only PvE aspect in the game and people want it to be as hard as possible, and if you don’t like it “git gud”. Hopefully future updates fix this. - No Party/Solo matchmaking - Basically, a Fireteam can match up with a team of randoms, and basically have a higher chance of winning due to the communication advantage. I’m not asking for teams of 12 to only be matched against teams of 12, but the idea isn’t even considered in the slightest. - The Campaign story - the gameplay is phenomenal, the story is terrible.Honorable Mention: The community - The community can be such -Yoink!- at times its a wonder that Halo survived this long to begin with. Either they want outrageous claims, or they complain that one thing isn’t done first before another thing. People wanted to drop the game because it wasn’t always BR starts. People wanted to start with the CE Pistol. People want certain modes to be unranked but hate going against people better than them. People thought they were getting a Falcon despite no one saying they were getting a Falcon.

And the elitist attitude some people give off is sickening. Firefight is the easiest example. If you can’t beat every version of Firefight with level 3 REQs, then go play Campaign on easy mode.

> 2533274833081329;3:
> Best:
>
> - Forge - Easily. It’s just a masterpiece and completely worth waiting for after Halo 5’s launch.
> - AI squad in Campaign - While it needs to be improved and refined, it’s basically taking the ability to have marines mixed with the squad from Halo Reach, and you actually put effort into keeping them alive and who tosoot first.
> - Free Updates - This is a controversial one, because most people think everything should have been here in Day One, but chances are that without the REQ system, these same updates would have been thrown in as paid DLC, which is even worse. Paid DLC would just split the community even more between “people who pay” and “people who don’t”, and there would be even more complaining. After seeing how Bungie handles DLC with Destiny and 343 with Halo 4, Free DLC is easily the best they can do.

Excellent point on not dividing up the community with Paid DLC separation. We don’t have the pop we did when Halo3 was out so this has been huge to help the numbers.

> 2754433700681668;1:
> 2) 99.5% of all of my deaths are completely my fault. This is also a great FPS achievement and the balanced starts up’s and count downs to power weaps really gives equal rights to this FPS and that is FPS purity. Just because Timmy is 18 with no job doesn’t mean he should have a plethora of pregame weapon advantages over the working guy.

So true. If I would’ve just thrusted to the left…

Best

1. Excellent gameplay (everything plays great)
  2. More custom Game options then ever before.
  3. Still none of those -Yoink- elites and their hit boxes :smiley: (don’t care what anyone says, elites in h2, h3 , and reach were not balanced)

Worst

1. Not enough MC in the story.
  2. No action sack yet (343 pls i need it)
  3. Lack of unlocks from achievements

Honestly i love this game. There are way more pros than cons

Good
1- Improved Gameplay mechanics
2- Forge
3- Free updates

Bad
1- Campaign story (really really bad!)
2- No Split Screen
3- Bad UI

Good

1. Return to good MP
  2. Free DLC
  3. Weapon Variants are badass.

Bad

1. Gun Balance. Before the map changes, SMG was too OP. They put it in less accessible areas.
  2. RNG cheapens armor unlocking. For the future, they should put armor unlocking in a separate area than the RNG system
  3. Campaign was really bad

Achievements

• Spartan Abilities, AKA finally, truly a super soldier: With the addition of thrust, sprint, and climb, the Spartan finally feels like an enhanced super soldier. What kind of physically enhanced human in an exoskeleton can only ascend stairs / ramps / lifts, crouch, and walk at a leisurely pace? - SWAT: It seems more balanced than in the past Halo games. - Cinematics / Gamplay graphics: Holy -Yoinking!- hell do Nathan Fillion and Mike Colter look amazing in the cinematics! The gameplay graphics are also fantastic.Disappointments

• MP Customization: I loved the level of Spartan customization in Halo 4 (Legs, Torso, individual Shoulders, etc.). Now I don’t feel like I can configure my Spartan to match my taste and style. I don’t mind a REQ system (sure, it needs to be refined), but I don’t think it allows for that granular level customization any more. Also, the Brown-color options for armor are pretty bad in Halo 5; I’d really like darker browns and more earth tone / natural browns, instead of dark orange-ish and dark mustard yellowish browns. I also miss the pre-defined color schemes from the initial release, and would like that was an option, as well as the choose your own colors. And it wouldn’t hurt to get my emblem on my armor! - No daily, weekly, monthly challenges: This would improve the REQ and XP system, and really increase the replayability / longevity. - CSR ranking: If I have 25 kills, and my team loses 50-48, I drop in CSR 33%-50%; if my team wins a match, and I scored 25 kills, I rank up 10%-25%. So in only 2-3 losses, I drop a rank, but need 5-8 matches to rank up again? Shouldn’t a players’ rank be weighted more towards how well they do as an individual, and the team’s overall skill hold less weight? - Also, no split screen. - Also, most of the Arena maps feel exactly the same. Part of this is because they are the same map with minor changes (Eden vs Empire, Torque vs Stasis, Plaza vs Overgrowth, etc.). The other reason is because they do not change aesthetically. Most of the maps are the human-urban design. Switch it up a little, give us some more dirt, fields, cliffs, trees, or at the very lease, some different skins for the human structures. While I am on the subject of maps, would it hurt to give us more remake maps? I think many of the old maps would be improved with the new Spartan abilities.

Good
1 gameplay is fun but cause of no choice in armour abilities it gets boring fast for a halo game.
2 connection to the servers was great on day 1 but as they fix it for everyone else it’s gotten worse for me making the game unplayable
3 1st time in a halo game I unlocked nearly every bit of armour

Bad
1 it took me too long to think of what is good and the bad there is too much to choose from.
2 not enough content or game types
3 removal of armour abilities which was my favorate thing about halo

halo 5 4/10 below average and the worst game of the series as going by the present times of when each game was released.

The good

• Req weapon glitch is cool - Brute plasma rifle is awesome - And the sherbert ice cream energy sword!The bad

• Microtransactions - Cortana - Warden eternal spam

This is my opinion

The Best

1. The art style is actually good, and I see what they were trying to get at in Halo 4. Nothing will beat the old art style, but the new one is bearable now.

2. The return of familiar characters in the campaign. I hated the campaign with a fiery passion, but I did appreciate that 343 added in The Arbiter, Buck, Blue Team, etc to the story in a way that actually made sense. That’s basically the only element of the story I liked, though. If you want my reasoning, then look below at “The Worst” section.

3. Everything about the multiplayer gameplay. Ignoring the REQ system (I’ll address that in “The Worst” section), Halo 5’s Arena and Warzone modes perfectly evolve the Halo multiplayer scene in a way that appeals to players of all caliber. Whether casual or competitive, win or lose, you’re gonna have a good time.

The Worst

1. The campaign’s story is so disconnected, so forced, and so bad. It has virtually nothing to do with Halo 4 or Hunt the Truth (thanks 343 for basically dropping Spartan Ops from canon). Character motivations make no sense throughout. Blue Team follows Chief and goes -Yoinking!- AWOL because “Family, yo”. Locke forgets the dust-up he had with Chief and everyone is buddy-buddy again at the last scene. Dr. Halsey suddenly turns on Jul M’Dama, even though she apparently wanted revenge at the end of Halo 4. Everything about Cortana being the new villain is flawed and poorly explained. Why is she suddenly insane, even though her rampancy has been cured? How the hell has her rampancy been cured by the domain? How the hell did she even get into the domain? Clearly, someone at 343 (a higher up, no doubt) was not happy with where the series was headed. So much so, that they ordered for every loose plot thread from Halo 4 and Spartans Ops to be unceremoniously axed in Halo: Escalation. The Didact? Dead. The Janus key? Destroyed. The implications of the ending of Halo 4 were executed right along side anything we did in Spartan Ops. This is what lead Halo 5 to being so disconnected and forced.

2. The REQ system. The REQ system has some cool gameplay implications. Variants of weapons and skins and stuff are a cool thing and I’m glad they’re a part of Halo now. Everything else, however, has been pretty much ruined by the REQ system. Single use cards dropping randomly out of microtransaction packs? Oh, boy. That’s just a ploy to get foolish children to spend their money in hopes of finally getting that CE Magnum. Furthermore, you need stuff like the CE Magnum to do better in Warzone. It is literally impossible to win a Warzone Firefight match without deploying some sort of power weapon or vehicle. Hey, remember when you could customize every little piece of your armor, from the helmet to the chest piece, to the knee guards to the thigh accessory? That’s gone away in Halo 5, streamlined down to just the Head and the Body, undoubtedly because the REQ system would’ve made grinding for a full set nigh impossible. With the amount of armor and customization options Halo 5 has, I’m not sure a rank-based progression system would work as well as it did in Halo Reach, but a new system that doesn’t rely on RNG and single use cards would be much appreciated. Take note, 343.

3. Cut content. I’m pretty sure that there was a sort of reboot within Halo 5’s campaign development, but as I have no proof or compelling evidence, I won’t go there (looking at you, Late Night Gaming). Every “free DLC” we got after launch was for sure done by launch. 343 just cut it out so they could add it back in to keep the community interested in the game (a smart move from their perspective, as the Halo 4 community evaporated within weeks). “But Leth, what if it actually wasn’t done by launch?” Halo 5 had a full 3 years of a development cycle, and I can guarantee you that 343 didn’t sit around doing nothing for 3 years. “What if the content was done, but needed more polish?” Let’s just say Forge was in such a state of disrepair/bugginess that it simply couldn’t be released at launch. An extra month of polish wouldn’t’ve done the trick. And don’t try to tell me that 343 actually developed each update within the span of a month, because that’s absolutely impossible.

The Good:
Forge tools
REQs in Warzone (excluding shotguns; Hannibal Tanks👌🏻)
Gameplay

The Bad:
Forge maps
Paper vehicles
Campaign wasn’t great (still better than the REQ system and microtransactions)

The Ugly:
Most of the armor sets in this game cough visor less helmets cough cough

Good:
Req System
New Vehicles and Weapons to the franchise
We Have Halo 5
Bad:
God Awful Campaign
No splitscreen
No Playable Elites

3 best things:
-magnum
-equal starts
-soundtrack

3 worst things:
-graphics
-lack of playlists/content/splitscreen
-new elite design makes them seem like dumb monsters

3 Good Things

• Exuberant Witness > Cortana - New Brute Plasma Rifle Variants - All those fancy new assassinations that Halo 4 didn’t have
    3 Bad Things

• No Community Forge Map Playlist (e.g. Gears of War 3 remakes, Halo remakes, etc) - Lack of Playlists (Oddball, Ricochet, Dominion, Extraction, Regicide, Team Heavies, Action Sack) - Many medals don’t work, and service record doesn’t look as good as Halo 4’s service record

3 favorite things:

1. Warzone, all 3 modes. I like the big maps and the variety in gameplay.
  2. Reqs - I think the reqs are really cool, especially how the weapons tie in to the lore. I think the armor and emblems should be earned instead of obtained randomly, but I think the trading card pack system is great for power weapons and vehicles. Loadout weapons in neutral about being randomized rewards.
  3. Strafing thrusters and air stabilizers - They’re both awesome and I imagine alot of FPS games will be copying these mechanics.

My biggest issues

1. No split screen - had to buy an extra console and copy of the game just to play with my wife.
  2. Jul Mdama’s anti-climatic death. Come on, he’s one of the most important sangeili in the Halo universe. He was responsible for resurrecting the Didact and basically everything else that happened in Halo 4. I’m glad they made him a war zone boss, but he should have been a boss in campaign, or at least his death should have been dramatic, showing the significance of it.
  3. No unlocks for achievements. There’s a couple, but they’re almost all emblems. I miss unlocking a piece of armor or a weapon skin once I earn an achievement.

Bad:

1. Pointless shoehorned abilities (including sprint)
  2. Lack of playlists/content/splitscreen
  3. Wack campaign

Good:

1. Graphics
  2. Req packs ONLY from the standpoint that they allow for free DLC
  3. Sound design

Good:

1. AR Magnum starts and a huge variety of effective weapons worth picking up
  2. Forge… just unbelievable
  3. Gameplay just feels sooo good. Every kill is satisfying. Skill ceiling is high enough.

Bad:

1. The campaign kind of broke my heart…
  2. …soo many missed opportunitys to develop the characters…
  3. …and Halo 4’s storyline was made irrelevant. Cortana’s sacrifice is now completly meaningless. Janus key, Dr Halsey and Jul M’dama storylines are discontinued.

Good:

1. It’s addictive multiplayer, I like the REQ system and game style. Things could be better, like instead of the random REQ packs you should have own REQ packs for weapons & vehicles, armor & player ID packs. The grenades bouncing in the head of a player that just ran in front of me is just so annoying, that could be fixed but the multiplayer is still good.
    Having firefight, infection, breakout, grifball and Warzone are almost making the multiplayer complete, some arena playlists are missing and I miss invasion with playable elites.
  2. Return of Buck, return of Cortana, return of the Arbiter and so on. Keeping important Halo characters is always good. (I would like to see Jun returning and the brutes, drones and the flood)
  3. Bringing back old Halo weapons. Doing this 343I will have the old community wanting to stay a little longer. Having a mix of old and new makes the new and old Halo fans satisfied.

Bad:

1. Too much customazation. I think it would be better if we wiped out every other variant than the originals would be better, so we could bring back ''missing armor". I miss Hayabusa, CQB, EOD, Base armor from Reach and the real armor Kat and Carter had in Reach didn’t return. The robot arm and the different shoulders Carter had? What?
    It’s okay and cool to have a scarred version of a armor, but like 4 different variants of one armor is just too much waste. It would be much more fun to have more rememberable armor than thousands variants of one.
  2. Weapon and vehicle variants. It’s okay to have the best variant of a weapon, but like 3-4 variants of one weapon? Please. People beg for bringing back different types old weapons. All these variants takes up the space you could have used to bring back sentinel beam, spiker, bruteshot, grenade launcher, sticky detonator, flamethrower, mauler, needlerifle (as a re-skin many would have said because of blood of suban, but blood of suban is actually a re-skin of the needlerifle.) instead of too much variants I would rather be able to use every Halo weapon.
  3. Lack of gametypes, enemies and customizable characters. I would really enjoy if they put in a safe haven gametype in infection or speed demons. I would really like oddball, CTF (on a remaked beaver creek), invasion (with playable Sangheili) and other gametypes to return.
    It would be really fun to have a Firefight that is customizable. Choosing your own waves and battled of enemies, like waves of flood, banished, covenant, storm covenant and so on. Choosing different characters like Sangheili and spartan would make Halo 5 more enjoyable. Having the voice over option for a customazabled Firefight would be perfect. Hearing captain keyes saying warden eternal would be epic.