(20 Sucky things about HW2) - From a HW1 General

I have won 16 out of 17 games playing the Halo Wars 2 Beta. I’m good at the game, and that usually makes it fun. But not this time. This game has some real -Yoinking!- problems that need fixing ASAP if it doesn’t want to suffer a worse fate than its predecessor.

Ok, first understand that I have played well over 500 hours of Halo Wars 1, making top 100 on the 1v1 leader boards before and after the statistic wipes. I also have worked in the video game industry for many years for Sony, so I know the life cycle of a video game.

This game, is trash. Get used to it.

I’d rather play Halo Wars 1.

I know, I know. its just a beta. But that’s a -Yoink- argument. Working for Sony I saw how much a game changed during the last year before its release. The mechanics of the game RARELY change. So here are my problems that, if not changed, will prevent me from purchasing Halo Wars 2.

1. Why doesn’t the Y, button work?
  2. Press L-Dpad to cycle through bases often causes the environment to become translucent, allowing me to see through the map.
  3. LAG (not network LAG, actual processing LAG during battles.)
  4. The maps are way to big for the speed that these ground units travel. Air units will have TOO LARGE an advantage in this game.
  5. -Yoink- 2 RESOURCES - I require 2 full bases of nothing but supply pads and generators in order to continually produce units.
  6. Warthogs cant pick up supplies??? FAIL
  7. #TeamColorBlind
  8. Tech Tree Sucks guys. No coherent flow to it at all. Cant upgrade in a line straight down. You have a pick upgrades in random orders.
  9. When will my building be completed? (SHOW ME BUILDING STATUS WITHOUT HAVING TO CLICK THAT BUILDING)
  10. When will the enemy base die? (Cant see a health bar dropping)
  11. Did I just use the MAC cannon? I heard something…
  12. Lets get 3 hero upgrades before I even see the enemy!
  13. Hey! Here take 10 units off the bat to capture more than half the map!
  14. Ill build a second base 20 seconds into the game. SURE!
  15. Hey! These resources are in the same spot every game! Cool!
  16. Lets make Left-Trigger useless for over the half the game!
  17. Can someone explain R-Dpad to me please.
  18. WTF Tanks cost 7 supply! 5 Tanks = Max Supply. (35/40)
  19. Jerome.
  20. My Xbox 360 had better graphics.

I’m upset. I waited soooo long for this game. I was sooo hyped when they announced this game last year, and you know what… Halo Spartan Assault is looking like a better game. Then again, now that I think about it, maybe they are the same game, and thats why it looks like it was made for a tablet or cellphone.

Soo disappointed.
Soo sad.

343 I beg you,
Get your -Yoink- together.

JoMamasHouse

It’s just a beta, don’t get to worked up about it just yet. The best thing you can do is leave your feedback (which you just did!), so hopefully it will be changed for the final game.

> 2553380145894635;1:
> I have won 16 out of 17 games playing the Halo Wars 2 Beta. I’m good at the game, and that usually makes it fun. But not this time. This game has some real -Yoinking!- problems that need fixing ASAP if it doesn’t want to suffer a worse fate than its predecessor.
>
> Ok, first understand that I have played well over 500 hours of Halo Wars 1, making top 100 on the 1v1 leader boards before and after the statistic wipes. I also have worked in the video game industry for many years for Sony, so I know the life cycle of a video game.
>
> This game, is trash. Get used to it.
>
> I’d rather play Halo Wars 1.
>
> I know, I know. its just a beta. But that’s a -Yoink- argument. Working for Sony I saw how much a game changed during the last year before its release. The mechanics of the game RARELY change. So here are my problems that, if not changed, will prevent me from purchasing Halo Wars 2.
>
> 1. Why doesn’t the Y, button work?
> 2. Press L-Dpad to cycle through bases often causes the environment to become translucent, allowing me to see through the map.
> 3. LAG (not network LAG, actual processing LAG during battles.)
> 4. The maps are way to big for the speed that these ground units travel. Air units will have TOO LARGE an advantage in this game.
> 5. -Yoink- 2 RESOURCES - I require 2 full bases of nothing but supply pads and generators in order to continually produce units.
> 6. Warthogs cant pick up supplies??? FAIL
> 7. #TeamColorBlind
> 8. Tech Tree Sucks guys. No coherent flow to it at all. Cant upgrade in a line straight down. You have a pick upgrades in random orders.
> 9. When will my building be completed? (SHOW ME BUILDING STATUS WITHOUT HAVING TO CLICK THAT BUILDING)
> 10. When will the enemy base die? (Cant see a health bar dropping)
> 11. Did I just use the MAC cannon? I heard something…
> 12. Lets get 3 hero upgrades before I even see the enemy!
> 13. Hey! Here take 10 units off the bat to capture more than half the map!
> 14. Ill build a second base 20 seconds into the game. SURE!
> 15. Hey! These resources are in the same spot every game! Cool!
> 16. Lets make Left-Trigger useless for over the half the game!
> 17. Can someone explain R-Dpad to me please.
> 18. WTF Tanks cost 7 supply! 5 Tanks = Max Supply. (35/40)
> 19. Jerome.
> 20. My Xbox 360 had better graphics.
>
> I’m upset. I waited soooo long for this game. I was sooo hyped when they announced this game last year, and you know what… Halo Spartan Assault is looking like a better game. Then again, now that I think about it, maybe they are the same game, and thats why it looks like it was made for a tablet or cellphone.
>
> Soo disappointed.
> Soo sad.
>
> 343 I beg you,
> Get your -Yoink- together.
>
> JoMamasHouse

Lmfao. “A beta isn’t an excuse”. And, “I played 500 hours of HW1” clearly didn’t make you an intelligent being. Have you put 500 hours in school? Literally everything you’re whining about is because of the beta, they cut out half the tech tree, they purposely gave us a small map and a fast paced gamemode that doesn’t allow us to use everything in our disposal. The full game is coming out in february and you expect the beta in June to reflect a complete game? smh

I’ve always wondered why people think if they’ve played a lot of the last game and don’t like the newer game that makes their opinion 5000x more legit. But, an opinion is an opinion. I’m sure this will be important, somehow.

I can say I totally agree with JoMamasHouse on nearly his entire list

1. No ally sight on mini map (little circle showing where he’s looking on his screen)
  2. Way too fast paced for my liking (Hopefully exclusively due to Domination game mode)

I dont want to be too critical seeing as the game is still 8 months away from release, which seems wise given this feels more like an Alpha than a Beta. I truly hope the can recapture the feel of the original Halo Wars and simply expand on it. At the point it’s at, I’m a little nervous, because as of now I’d prefer to play the original. Given 343’s post release work on Halo 5, I trust because of the long period of time after the Beta they will turn everything around.

It has the groundwork laid down, just need to refine, balance and optimize

All I hear is the whining of a person who thinks they did actual work for a gaming company. Being a general or “working” in the industry doesn’t make your opinion fact at all it doesn’t make it any better than the next guys’ opinion. Mostly everything you listed could easily be fixed they aren’t gonna release the game how it is now there will always be changed. I agree the graphics are pretty bad and do look like they belong on a tablet but if graphics are a huge deciding factor for you then idk what to tell you. Many games, despite having crap graphics are amazing.

I agree with 1, 6, 10, 11, 13, 18 and maybe 8, 9, 15. Some I don’t know because I need to test the game more.

In Halo Wars you could build a base after 20 secs, and resources often were in the same spot. I’ve played a bit of air vehicles and they don’t seem to be OP. Conceptually, they were OP in Halo Wars given that in 5 seconds in a 3v3 match they could get from your main base to your opponents’ one, but they ended up being balanced.
Lag and d-pad problem are going to be fixed, that’s typical beta problems, in my opinion.
I’m fine with one upgraded base plus 2/3 minibases to have the resources I need. And this because the population cap is so low and the game mode doesn’t really allow for too long matches.

The game itself has problems, but the main one is that you had too high expectations. Maybe if we had Ensemble and Bungie working on it, they would have taken our beloved Halo Wars and improved it without changing what worked and making it worse.

But I’m just a brigadier and casual gamer compared to the leader boards boys.

It seems that by pointing out flaws in the game, I have become the enemy. I want this to be a good game. I am mad, because in over a year of development, this Beta is in EVERYWAY inferior to Halo Wars 1, a game that was released over 7 years ago.

If you are satisfied with this game, that’s your opinion. I am not on the other hand. And my voice will be heard.

Feel free to join me.
Feel free to argue with me.
Feel free to call me whatever you want.

But know this, I am posting this here, for us. For a better game.

> 2553380145894635;8:
> It seems that by pointing out flaws in the game, I have become the enemy. I want this to be a good game. I am mad, because in over a year of development, this Beta is in EVERYWAY inferior to Halo Wars 1, a game that was released over 7 years ago.
>
> If you are satisfied with this game, that’s your opinion. I am not on the other hand. And my voice will be heard.
>
> Feel free to join me.
> Feel free to argue with me.
> Feel free to call me whatever you want.
>
> But know this, I am posting this here, for us. For a better game.

Oh no, you’re not the enemy, we all just disagree wit you :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2553380145894635;8:
> It seems that by pointing out flaws in the game, I have become the enemy. I want this to be a good game. I am mad, because in over a year of development, this Beta is in EVERYWAY inferior to Halo Wars 1, a game that was released over 7 years ago.
>
> If you are satisfied with this game, that’s your opinion. I am not on the other hand. And my voice will be heard.
>
> Feel free to join me.
>

Dude the reason the game isn’t up to par is its a beta, like seriously, A BETA. 8 months more of development left, this could be nothing like the finished product. You made some good points but hating it wildly without considering its a beta is abit dumb bro

> 2553380145894635;8:
>
>
> Feel free to join me.
>

I agree. After playing the beta for a bit, I prefer the first Halo Wars.

I’m still willing to try the final product, but if they keep the mechanics and design choices the same as the beta, then I’ll only play it for the story, and move back to the upgraded version of Halo Wars that is releasing with it.

This beta is just so they can collect data, but i’m surprised that there a many issues - there needs to be a patch even if for a week. We WERE PROMISED BY PHIL SPENCER THAT HALO WARS 2 would be out later this year or am I wrong?

> 2533274841817472;12:
> This beta is just so they can collect data, but i’m surprised that there a many issues - there needs to be a patch even if for a week. We WERE PROMISED BY PHIL SPENCER THAT HALO WARS 2 would be out later this year or am I wrong?

Been delayed to February 21, 2017.

I agree, way to many issues and nothing like halo wars at all, this isnt a sequel, its an entirely different game that went backwards instead of forwards

Have yet to play a game as it keeps freezing but thanks for the comprehensive list of faults. This sort of feedback is what betas are partly for.

I think most things on the list should be simple fixes though so expect the game to be a lot more polished at launch.

> This game, is trash. Get used to it.
> I’d rather play Halo Wars 1.

This sort of comment doesn’t help at all though and puts a lot of forum users off. I didn’t particularly feel like reading the rest of your post when I saw this bit but I’m glad I did. Like I said, useful feedback.

> 2533274852660538;13:
> > 2533274841817472;12:
> > This beta is just so they can collect data, but i’m surprised that there a many issues - there needs to be a patch even if for a week. We WERE PROMISED BY PHIL SPENCER THAT HALO WARS 2 would be out later this year or am I wrong?
>
>
> Been delayed to February 21, 2017.

That sucks like seriously I already knew this but come on I’ve waited so long for HW2 now we have to wait. Like 2-3 months more and no one likes waiting

> 2533274852660538;11:
> > 2553380145894635;8:
> > It seems that by pointing out flaws in the game, I have become the enemy. I want this to be a good game. I am mad, because in over a year of development, this Beta is in EVERYWAY inferior to Halo Wars 1, a game that was released over 7 years ago.
> >
> > If you are satisfied with this game, that’s your opinion. I am not on the other hand. And my voice will be heard.
> >
> > Feel free to join me.
> > Feel free to argue with me.
> > Feel free to call me whatever you want.
> >
> > But know this, I am posting this here, for us. For a better game.
>
>
> I agree. After playing the beta for a bit, I prefer the first Halo Wars.
>
> I’m still willing to try the final product, but if they keep the mechanics and design choices the same as the beta, then I’ll only play it for the story, and move back to the upgraded version of Halo Wars that is releasing with it.

I totally agree with you! I’m still having a blast playing the first Halo Wars with a friend of mine.

Well, I’m not doubting your skills in Halo Wars in general, I’m sure you’re great. However, if you are really involved in the gaming industry behind the scenes, you’ll realize your list is mostly fixable…

I would also like to say that this is GREAT feedback. This is the type of stuff developers look for in BETAs, so in all seriousness, wonderful feedback. You’re helping make Halo 2 wars better.

1. Why doesn’t the Y, button work? Fixable and common
  2. Press L-Dpad to cycle through bases often causes the environment to become translucent, allowing me to see through the map. Fixable and common
  3. LAG (not network LAG, actual processing LAG during battles.) Fixable and common
  4. The maps are way to big for the speed that these ground units travel. Air units will have TOO LARGE an advantage in this game. Likely wont change, but could
  5. -Yoink- 2 RESOURCES - I require 2 full bases of nothing but supply pads and generators in order to continually produce units. Fixable and common, easy tweak
  6. Warthogs cant pick up supplies??? FAIL Easy Fix
  7. #TeamColorBlind Easy Fix
  8. Tech Tree Sucks guys. No coherent flow to it at all. Cant upgrade in a line straight down. You have a pick upgrades in random orders. Fixable, 50/50 chance I would say, and I completely agree with you
  9. When will my building be completed? (SHOW ME BUILDING STATUS WITHOUT HAVING TO CLICK THAT BUILDING) Fixable with bar, easy fix
  10. When will the enemy base die? (Cant see a health bar dropping) Same as above
  11. Did I just use the MAC cannon? I heard something… LoL, agreed, and fixable with simple dialog
  12. Lets get 3 hero upgrades before I even see the enemy! Not sure what you mean on this
  13. Hey! Here take 10 units off the bat to capture more than half the map! Haha, Fixable and agree, I capture everything on my side instantly
  14. Ill build a second base 20 seconds into the game. SURE! Same as above
  15. Hey! These resources are in the same spot every game! Cool! Fixable and agree
  16. Lets make Left-Trigger useless for over the half the game! Agree and fixable, for something
  17. Can someone explain R-Dpad to me please. ???
  18. WTF Tanks cost 7 supply! 5 Tanks = Max Supply. (35/40) Not sure how effective they are, I’ve had 3-4 last game (only played 8 games) but usually game ends before I fight a ton, easy tweak if need be
  19. Jerome. Haven’t actually fought with, see above
  20. My Xbox 360 had better graphics. Agree, underwhelming for sure

Honestly, once again, great feedback. And I literally don’t think you mentioned on ‘game mechanic’ that is un-fixable besides arguably map size to unit speed (hard to ‘fix’ that, kinda like sprint does to Halo scaling).

20 Sucky Things about Halo Wars 2 from a Halo Wars General:

• 1-18. You Can’t Get Past the Title Screen - 19. The Game Reaches Timeout Before Starting from the Home Screen (Dear 343i: did someone not place init() into Halo Wars startup?). This will cause all Xbox Apps to stop working too with 0x8027025a. - 20. We can no longer just build an army of Wraiths and rush the enemy base to get to General rank in all of an hour or two. I think. Seeing as I have not played Halo Wars 2 because of 1-19 I don’t actually no.

> 2553380145894635;8:
>
>
> Feel free to join me.
>

Halo wars 1 was a terrible RTS game. HW 2 so far as blanketed out the error of it’s predecessor. You also need to understand that there’s a huge difference between noting errors and acting like you’re a god dictating what us mere mortals who should be enlightened by words of why something is wrong.