2 Simple Yet Effective Ways to Reduce AFKers

The current way Bungie is dealing with AFKers isn’t really stopping people from AFKing in matchmaking. The problem is the current method is too reactive and by the time the players are banned, they’ve already ruined a lot of peoples games. Not only that but it reduces Reach’s overall population even further. These two simple changes could easily reduce the number of players that AFK in matchmaking while not reducing the overall population.

1. Automatically send player/party back to lobby. Back in Halo 3, you always returned to the lobby and had to manually start the search. That prevented players from AFKing in back-to-back games as they had to start up the search and the end of every match. With this added to Reach, it would atleast stop those who went AFK in the previous game from searching until they got back.

2. Remove Game Completion credits. This is one of the biggest flaws with the credit system. Because it gives the most credits per game (not including completing challenges or commendations) and you get it regardless of winning or losing, it promotes people to AFK. This is most apparent in Firefight where you are almost guaranteed 1,500-2,000 credits from game completion. If Game Completion was removed as a source of credits, then players who purposefully AFK wouldn’t have a reason to AFK as they no longer would be rewarded for not playing.

Of course with the removal of Game Completion as a source of credits, the amount of credits a player could earn would be severally decreased. To compensate for this, I’d propose that Winning become the primary source of credits. This would not only make players actually play to level up, but it would give a good incentive to actually win.

you weren’t automatically sent back to the lobby in H3…

Most of the people who AFK don’t really care if they get booted for a couple of days. You need to take away what they want. Losing Cr if AFKing would stop them but the system NEEDS to work. Or else a lot of people will get caught in the “cross fire”. If they lose the only thing they want, they will stop. But then you can’t change the mind set of people.

set a minimum number of kills before you are entitled to game completion credits. i am sure that someone can run a quick calculation for an avreage number of kills per game type and set the minimum just below that.
for FF arcade rocket fight as an example, if the average number of kills per person is 80 per 15 minute game, set the minimum kills required at 60. if people do not reach the 60 they do not get game completion credits.

> you weren’t automatically sent back to the lobby in H3…

I think you were. You got the choice to party up and continue searching with the people you just played with.

> > you weren’t automatically sent back to the lobby in H3…
>
> I think you were. You got the choice to party up and continue searching with the people you just played with.

Here you are again talking like you know everything. If you don’t know something don’t act like you do please.

> > > you weren’t automatically sent back to the lobby in H3…
> >
> > I think you were.
>
> Here you are again talking like you know everything. If you don’t know something don’t act like you do please.

Calm down man, i never said i knew, i simply said ‘I think you were’.

I never deal with this AFK issue that so many other people claim is rampant in Halo: Reach.

They better reset all the scum. Only reason rank means nothing

> Most of the people who AFK don’t really care if they get booted for a couple of days. You need to take away what they want. Losing Cr if AFKing would stop them but the system NEEDS to work. Or else a lot of people will get caught in the “cross fire”. If they lose the only thing they want, they will stop. But then you can’t change the mind set of people.

There already are enough things that punish players. We don’t need another thing to drive people away from this game. Plus removing game completion would take away the thing AFKers want since the only thing the could possibly get them credits with Game Completion is the slot machine and the off chance their team wins despite them not playing.