2 issues with ranking system. Opinions?

I play a lot of ranked 2v2 war/deathmatch. Not blitz. The highest rank we’ve gotten is diamond 3. Not onyx or champion but pretty good. I’m happy with it and keep working on trying to get better. Each season we play our 10 preliminary matches. Sometimes we win 6 of ten. Sometimes more but usually get placed real low in rank such as silver or gold. Ok fine. We just have to work our way up. It’s cool. But I run into two frustrations with ranking up

Issue #1
We go up like 20%, then like 10%, and then like another 10% but lose one match and go down like 50%. So three matches of progress are gone in one match. That is so super frustrating.

Issue #2
Losing to all time highest ranked onyx/champion players or second accounters and go down 40% and win but go up a smaller percentage. I don’t mind getting matched up against high ranked players. I won’t quit. Might learn something from the challenge. But I shouldn’t go down 50% from losing to them. To be clear I’m talking about all time highest rank. They might be starting off low or still doing their preliminary matches.

Maybe the whole diamond/onyx/etc shouldn’t be tied to how you are paired up against players if it is. I like the idea of having something to work up to. Maybe there could be an additional system that I can work up towards where as the matchmaking that’s trying to find me a good match is separate.

Here is an an idea I have. Don’t know what people will think but please give opinions. What if all wins and losses were locked to 20%. So say I win three matches and lose one. Well I would’ve gone up 60% then down 20% for a final total of a positive 40%. At least I’m progressing. Right now like I said before things can get frustrating. Especially going up 2%. It’s a slow crawl up. Hours and then one match lose all progress. And don’t get me wrong. We have losing nights where we lose 4 and win one. Or something like that. But there are nights where it’s the other way around.

And hey if anyone has any 2v2 tips I’m certainly open to hear them. There is much more for me to learn. I use any of the alien leaders. Sometimes I use Serina or Anders.

I want to get better at the game. It’s addictively fun. Balance has improved a lot since when the game initially shipped. Please keep the balance updates coming. The overall amount of dropped matches has gone down a lot since when the game came out too.

They MUCKED Up the HW2 Ranking System! Did Einstein come back from the dead to create the Halo Wars 2 ranking system? <= sarcasm Are the Kardashians working for 343? WTF? Win 8 out of 10 matches, and you end up back where you started before you played the 10 matches. Yea, that makes a lot of sense!

It really goes hand in hand with the disconnect issues.

I consider it incredibly insulting to the customer to take their money and then deliver an unfinished game. And then just leave it like this for 18 months while changing 5% health here, 2% damage there…

But this is just the new Microsoft lifestyle: ship games unpolished and unfinished (MCC, Halo 5, HW2…)

If Postums or Wrensi would at least offer some kind of explanation. Don’t get me wrong, I am super happy that there still is support for the game and you’re doing good work!
But prioritize the DCs and the ranking system to give people what they paid for 18 MONTHS AGO.

Thank you.

> 2533274808708024;3:
> It really goes hand in hand with the disconnect issues. I already made a few posts like this but at least once they just deleted the entire thread. (Censorship?)
>
> I consider it incredibly insulting to the customer to take their money and then deliver an unfinished game. And then just leave it like this for 18 months while changing 5% health here, 2% damage there…
>
> But this is just the new Microsoft lifestyle: ship games unpolished and unfinished (MCC, Halo 5, HW2…)
>
> If Postums or Wrensi would at least offer some kind of explanation. Don’t get me wrong, I am super happy that there still is support for the game and you’re doing good work!
> But prioritize the DCs and the ranking system to give people what they paid for 18 MONTHS AGO.
>
> Thank you.

The explanation we’ve been given so far is that the server issues are burried under loads of code and other factors. 343 doesn’t have the resources to spend digging up the causes and fixing them.

> 2533274927740213;4:
> > 2533274808708024;3:
> > It really goes hand in hand with the disconnect issues. I already made a few posts like this but at least once they just deleted the entire thread. (Censorship?)
> >
> > I consider it incredibly insulting to the customer to take their money and then deliver an unfinished game. And then just leave it like this for 18 months while changing 5% health here, 2% damage there…
> >
> > But this is just the new Microsoft lifestyle: ship games unpolished and unfinished (MCC, Halo 5, HW2…)
> >
> > If Postums or Wrensi would at least offer some kind of explanation. Don’t get me wrong, I am super happy that there still is support for the game and you’re doing good work!
> > But prioritize the DCs and the ranking system to give people what they paid for 18 MONTHS AGO.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> The explanation we’ve been given so far is that the server issues are burried under loads of code and other factors. 343 doesn’t have the resources to spend digging up the causes and fixing them.

Thats no explanation its an excuse and its even more infuriating if its really true. When you buy a new car and its broken, you do not accept the "explanation ":
>Well the problem is buried soo deep in the car and we can not fix it because… we’re to lazy.<
You either get your money back or people have to buckle down and fix the problem. And Microsoft/343 definitely HAVE the ressources. Its just total disregard for the customer. >You paid me, now you can go love yourself.<

Well, that s how the world of tech works. In terms of game stability HW2 is actually very stable overall. The vast majority of the entire game works I would wager 99% of the time.

It’s not perfect, it does crash occasionally and I have been stung in ranked a bunch of times (losing 60% some times). It sucks, it’s infuriating but there is is honestly no chance of the bug getting refactored out this late in the games life cycle. It just isn’t happening, that’s not how the games industry works (or the tech industry as a whole really - unless you’re selling something as a service, like MMORPGs do etc then you would provide fixes via continuous development).

It’s the -Yoink!- reality of the industry really. If there was a big enough modding community then changes could be made through them. That approach has worked well for various other games, but the tools really aren’t there for a game this old.

I’d be the first to volunteer to help fix the server issues, I have the know-how and would spend every night after work debugging it. But there is no way Microsoft would let some random from the internet into their IP to fix a game that isn’t making a whole lot of profit. I know I sure wouldn’t let someone from the interwebs see the souce for the stuff I work on.

So to recap: in-house development has stopped, the modding community has limited tools and they can’t recruit from the community anyway. This bug is here to stay. :frowning::frowning:

> 2533274805980490;1:
> I play a lot of ranked 2v2 war/deathmatch. Not blitz. The highest rank we’ve gotten is diamond 3. Not onyx or champion but pretty good. I’m happy with it and keep working on trying to get better. Each season we play our 10 preliminary matches. Sometimes we win 6 of ten. Sometimes more but usually get placed real low in rank such as silver or gold. Ok fine. We just have to work our way up. It’s cool. But I run into two frustrations with ranking up
>
> Issue #1
> We go up like 20%, then like 10%, and then like another 10% but lose one match and go down like 50%. So three matches of progress are gone in one match. That is so super frustrating.
>
> Issue #2
> Losing to all time highest ranked onyx/champion players or second accounters and go down 40% and win but go up a smaller percentage. I don’t mind getting matched up against high ranked players. I won’t quit. Might learn something from the challenge. But I shouldn’t go down 50% from losing to them. To be clear I’m talking about all time highest rank. They might be starting off low or still doing their preliminary matches.
>
> Maybe the whole diamond/onyx/etc shouldn’t be tied to how you are paired up against players if it is. I like the idea of having something to work up to. Maybe there could be an additional system that I can work up towards where as the matchmaking that’s trying to find me a good match is separate.
>
> Here is an an idea I have. Don’t know what people will think but please give opinions. What if all wins and losses were locked to 20%. So say I win three matches and lose one. Well I would’ve gone up 60% then down 20% for a final total of a positive 40%. At least I’m progressing. Right now like I said before things can get frustrating. Especially going up 2%. It’s a slow crawl up. Hours and then one match lose all progress. And don’t get me wrong. We have losing nights where we lose 4 and win one. Or something like that. But there are nights where it’s the other way around.
>
> And hey if anyone has any 2v2 tips I’m certainly open to hear them. There is much more for me to learn. I use any of the alien leaders. Sometimes I use Serina or Anders.
>
> I want to get better at the game. It’s addictively fun. Balance has improved a lot since when the game initially shipped. Please keep the balance updates coming. The overall amount of dropped matches has gone down a lot since when the game came out too.

The game actually already has a second ranking system in place it’s called “MMR” or matchmaking ranking and your % in diamond, onyx etc is called your csr or “competitive skill rating”. You initially place after your 10 matches based on your MMR with just a straight conversion (e.g. if you have MMR = 3.0 you rank into onyx with 1700 points). Your MMR is normally kept over between seasons so your progress is in some way saved but because 2v2 was made crossplay this season the MMR for that playlist was reset. This means everyone starts from the bottom so you might play really good or really bad players for the first little while.

There is definitely a problem with how the game decides to reward or punish you for a win/loss. Right now it’s pretty much based on your csr which means a really good player on a smurf will take you down 60 points but beating them might only get you a few. What this is meant to do is allow skillful players who are low down (say an onyx player in gold) quickly get up to onyx by beating good people. But it has a lot of problems I’m not going to name them all here other threads have done a pretty good job with that. 343 knows there are huge problems with the system, they knew it was so bad (I don’t know a single high level player who likes it, and most average players don’t either) that they created a new system called “true skill 2” for halo 5. There are some posts in that section of the forum explaining it. It seems to fix a lot of the issues the current system has but unfortunately it’s not getting implemented into hw2 as of right now.

As far as changes to the current system I am pretty much certain they will not happen any time soon if at all. All we can really do is continue voicing our frustration and asking for true skill 2 to hopefully come and save us one day.

> 2533274808708024;3:
> It really goes hand in hand with the disconnect issues. I already made a few posts like this but at least once they just deleted the entire thread. (Censorship?)

This never happened, we don’t delete threads

> 2533274813317074;8:
> > 2533274808708024;3:
> > It really goes hand in hand with the disconnect issues. I already made a few posts like this but at least once they just deleted the entire thread. (Censorship?)
>
> This never happened, we don’t delete threads

Ok I found it, my bad. It was moved to the support forum.
I take that statement back then.