2 Forge Features that would allow custom vehicles

Keep in mind that his entire idea is based on 343i adding object grouping and fixing the normal objects. I am not saying that 343i should do this instead of including pelicans, phantoms, ect., but instead that this could be a possibility if they did include the features mentioned above.

The Idea This idea was inspired by this video that was posted in General Discussion a while ago. Basicly we take the same basic principle, using man cannons to propell forge objects through the air, and combine it with the feature of object grouping to create our own vehicles. This has been done before in Halo 3 with the Elehpant. Since normal objects will hopefully be fixed and actually act like they should you would be able to shoot anywhere on the vehicle for the vehicle to go that directions. Obviously this would have to be adjusted so that someone an the ground with a magnum couldn’t force a Pelican off course. The main propulsion would be strategically place grav lift(s) that would push the entire objects in a certain direction, or let the pilot decide on where to go depending on how they are placed.

Creating the Vehicle
Creating a perfectly balanced vehicle would take some time and a lot of testing. Perhaps you could put pallets covering the grav lifts using object grouping, that way when someone destroys that pallet the grav lft wil fall and one of the engines will be destroyed. To force it to stay in one position while nobody is inside with testing different grav lift positions over and over again you could place a pallet that’s not set to normal in the cockpit so that when it’s destroyed the vehicle will take off. If you made a big vehicle you could create turrets the same way you can now with ground vehicles, the possibilities are endless!

If 343i wanted to steer more in this direction and actually say that creating custom vehicles is a feature and not just a possibility they could include certain parts that would be specifically made to allow for a greater variety of custom vehicles and features included in these custom vehicles.

Possible Vehicles to Create
I thought a list of all the vehicles I came up with that would be possible would be helpful.
-Pelican
-Phantom
-Spirit
-Vulture
-Vampire
-Drop Pod
-Saber
-Seraph
-Any large ship created in forge already
-Made up vehicles
-Albatross
-Longsword
-Shortsword
-Flying Elephant

Please post your thoughts and please remember to keep them constructive. :slight_smile:

YES!!! defiantly make a poll for it ive always wanted a pelican in it or a made up whicle it would be sick :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the response! I’ll put a poll up soon.

I don’t think that I am allowed to make polls using the edit feature. Does anyone know how I could add one?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Custom vehicles would be EXTREMELY cool. Awesome idea OP

I’ve been waiting since halo 1 to fly that damm pelican, please 343.

> Custom vehicles would be EXTREMELY cool. Awesome idea OP

Thank you. I think that it would be a lot easier to implement than the actual vehicles, and it would please everyone.

Maybe with extra pre-made vehicle parts you could use (optional), like turrets, cannons, and stuff? This way, you could make a GIANT FREAKIN’ WARSHIP, with a pilot seat, some manned Scorpion cannons, turrets on the side (with any sort of non-melee weapon), an AA gun or two, and with corridors and rooms inside.

And a button that activates a sprinkler system. Just for the heck of it.

THAT WOULD BE [REDACTED] AWESOME!

This should totally be in Halo 4. If not, then Halo 5!

It’d be pretty neat if they did this, great idea! They should also let us edit existing vehicles and make like flying Warthogs n stuff :smiley:

> Maybe with extra pre-made vehicle parts you could use (optional), like turrets, cannons, and stuff? This way, you could make a GIANT FREAKIN’ WARSHIP, with a pilot seat, some manned Scorpion cannons, turrets on the side (with any sort of non-melee weapon), an AA gun or two, and with corridors and rooms inside.
>
> And a button that activates a sprinkler system. Just for the heck of it.
>
> …
>
> THAT WOULD BE [REDACTED] AWESOME!
>
> This should totally be in Halo 4. If not, then Halo 5!

That would be pretty awesome. You can kind of add turrets and such with Scorpions and warthogs now though.

> > Maybe with extra pre-made vehicle parts you could use (optional), like turrets, cannons, and stuff? This way, you could make a GIANT FREAKIN’ WARSHIP, with a pilot seat, some manned Scorpion cannons, turrets on the side (with any sort of non-melee weapon), an AA gun or two, and with corridors and rooms inside.
> >
> > And a button that activates a sprinkler system. Just for the heck of it.
> >
> > …
> >
> > THAT WOULD BE [REDACTED] AWESOME!
> >
> > This should totally be in Halo 4. If not, then Halo 5!
>
> That would be pretty awesome. You can kind of add turrets and such with Scorpions and warthogs now though.

not the same,

with a warthog, you are connected TO THE VEHICLE, and you need some good forging skills to hide it in an effective fashion, like wise for scorpions

if something like this were added, we could use ground versions of those turrets

> > > Maybe with extra pre-made vehicle parts you could use (optional), like turrets, cannons, and stuff? This way, you could make a GIANT FREAKIN’ WARSHIP, with a pilot seat, some manned Scorpion cannons, turrets on the side (with any sort of non-melee weapon), an AA gun or two, and with corridors and rooms inside.
> > >
> > > And a button that activates a sprinkler system. Just for the heck of it.
> > >
> > > …
> > >
> > > THAT WOULD BE [REDACTED] AWESOME!
> > >
> > > This should totally be in Halo 4. If not, then Halo 5!
> >
> > That would be pretty awesome. You can kind of add turrets and such with Scorpions and warthogs now though.
>
> not the same,
>
> with a warthog, you are connected TO THE VEHICLE, and you need some good forging skills to hide it in an effective fashion, like wise for scorpions
>
> if something like this were added, we could use ground versions of those turrets

Yeah, 343 should give us more customization options with Halo 4 or 5. I would love to see a Scorpion cannon a a Ghost, or a Banshee with a Gauss gun.

I think it could go like this:

1. Go into Forge.
  2. Go to menu.
  3. Go to Vehicles.
  4. Pieces.
  5. A variety of vehicle parts are in the list.
  6. Select the pieces you want, along with the Forge pieces you want to use. Place seats or cockpits for the player. Connect a seat/cockpit to a weapon/cannon.
  7. Options.
  8. Connect objects.
  9. Set the buttons used for the different functions. (eg. RT for shooting, LT for elevating, etc).
  10. Name and save vehicle for future use.

Then there could be an online Forge “marketplace” of sorts, where people can upload their creations for others to use.

Perhaps even the ability to Forge online, and create vehicles (maybe even weapons!) using an optional program on the PC).

Another cool idea I had is the ability to make your own skins for Forge, so you wouldn’t be limited to the default palettes.

Maybe also the ability to make textures and code a new weapon? It would be cool. It could work like in Halo Custom Edition, where you can use a program to code a weapon, make textures, then use them in a map, and even upload it online for others to use.

> > > > Maybe with extra pre-made vehicle parts you could use (optional), like turrets, cannons, and stuff? This way, you could make a GIANT FREAKIN’ WARSHIP, with a pilot seat, some manned Scorpion cannons, turrets on the side (with any sort of non-melee weapon), an AA gun or two, and with corridors and rooms inside.
> > > >
> > > > And a button that activates a sprinkler system. Just for the heck of it.
> > > >
> > > > …
> > > >
> > > > THAT WOULD BE [REDACTED] AWESOME!
> > > >
> > > > This should totally be in Halo 4. If not, then Halo 5!
> > >
> > > That would be pretty awesome. You can kind of add turrets and such with Scorpions and warthogs now though.
> >
> > not the same,
> >
> > with a warthog, you are connected TO THE VEHICLE, and you need some good forging skills to hide it in an effective fashion, like wise for scorpions
> >
> > if something like this were added, we could use ground versions of those turrets
>
> Yeah, 343 should give us more customization options with Halo 4 or 5. I would love to see a Scorpion cannon a a Ghost, or a Banshee with a Gauss gun.
>
>
> I think it could go like this:
>
> 1. Go into Forge.
> 2. Go to menu.
> 3. Go to Vehicles.
> 4. Pieces.
> 5. A variety of vehicle parts are in the list.
> 6. Select the pieces you want, along with the Forge pieces you want to use. Place seats or cockpits for the player. Connect a seat/cockpit to a weapon/cannon.
> 7. Options.
> 8. Connect objects.
> 9. Set the buttons used for the different functions. (eg. RT for shooting, LT for elevating, etc).
> 10. Name and save vehicle for future use.
>
> Then there could be an online Forge “marketplace” of sorts, where people can upload their creations for others to use.
>
> Perhaps even the ability to Forge online, and create vehicles (maybe even weapons!) using an optional program on the PC).
>
> Another cool idea I had is the ability to make your own skins for Forge, so you wouldn’t be limited to the default palettes.
>
> Maybe also the ability to make textures and code a new weapon? It would be cool. It could work like in Halo Custom Edition, where you can use a program to code a weapon, make textures, then use them in a map, and even upload it online for others to use.

That’s what I am hoping 343 does with the option to make custom Forge objects. It would be very helpful.

> > > > > Maybe with extra pre-made vehicle parts you could use (optional), like turrets, cannons, and stuff? This way, you could make a GIANT FREAKIN’ WARSHIP, with a pilot seat, some manned Scorpion cannons, turrets on the side (with any sort of non-melee weapon), an AA gun or two, and with corridors and rooms inside.
> > > > >
> > > > > And a button that activates a sprinkler system. Just for the heck of it.
> > > > >
> > > > > …
> > > > >
> > > > > THAT WOULD BE [REDACTED] AWESOME!
> > > > >
> > > > > This should totally be in Halo 4. If not, then Halo 5!
> > > >
> > > > That would be pretty awesome. You can kind of add turrets and such with Scorpions and warthogs now though.
> > >
> > > not the same,
> > >
> > > with a warthog, you are connected TO THE VEHICLE, and you need some good forging skills to hide it in an effective fashion, like wise for scorpions
> > >
> > > if something like this were added, we could use ground versions of those turrets
> >
> > Yeah, 343 should give us more customization options with Halo 4 or 5. I would love to see a Scorpion cannon a a Ghost, or a Banshee with a Gauss gun.
> >
> >
> > I think it could go like this:
> >
> > 1. Go into Forge.
> > 2. Go to menu.
> > 3. Go to Vehicles.
> > 4. Pieces.
> > 5. A variety of vehicle parts are in the list.
> > 6. Select the pieces you want, along with the Forge pieces you want to use. Place seats or cockpits for the player. Connect a seat/cockpit to a weapon/cannon.
> > 7. Options.
> > 8. Connect objects.
> > 9. Set the buttons used for the different functions. (eg. RT for shooting, LT for elevating, etc).
> > 10. Name and save vehicle for future use.
> >
> > Then there could be an online Forge “marketplace” of sorts, where people can upload their creations for others to use.
> >
> > Perhaps even the ability to Forge online, and create vehicles (maybe even weapons!) using an optional program on the PC).
> >
> > Another cool idea I had is the ability to make your own skins for Forge, so you wouldn’t be limited to the default palettes.
> >
> > Maybe also the ability to make textures and code a new weapon? It would be cool. It could work like in Halo Custom Edition, where you can use a program to code a weapon, make textures, then use them in a map, and even upload it online for others to use.
>
> That’s what I am hoping 343 does with the option to make custom Forge objects. It would be very helpful.

It would.

I’ve edited the first post with a little information on new objects.

Any thoughts?

Good idea

> Good idea

Thanks!

'Thall due respect, OP, vehicles constructed using just object grouping and fixing would be virtually impossible to reliably control. There’d be no real way to hook moving parts up to the standard vehicle controls, and movement would depend on mobile man cannons (which are generally unstable and unpredictable).

That said, custom vehicles would be an amazing idea. Fortunately, the game engine does have some functionality that could be used as the basis of a custom vehicle system. Specifically, Halo is capable of mixing and matching vehicle parts. We never see this during… legitimate… gameplay, but it’s been shown that the game engine supports replacing one vehicle part with another at run-time. There were a few screenshots of this floating around on Most Downloaded a while back; the “Tanket”, for example, was a Falcon with the cockpit swapped for a working Scorpion turret.

So what 343i could do is create some sort of “base” vehicle: an invisible object with eight or so empty slots for seats and guns. In addition to that, they could construct several dummy parts, which count as seats internally but can’t actually be sat upon. Some UI controls could be added to Forge, allowing us to choose what parts go in what slots on a per-base-vehicle basis. The result would be a custom vehicle implementation that isn’t physics-dependent and leverages existing functionality.