1v1 Spartan confrontations - Bad habits

1v1 Spartan confrontations in PvP gamemodes
What are some bad habits that unskilled players use that would make them better if they didn’t? Secondly, what are some good habits that players should definitely employ to improve.

A lot of people jump around (jump up jump and get…sorry) which I always find very easy to deal with. Surely they have a harder time shooting at me while bounding about? On the ground I have control of my movement. In the air people don’t. You can judge their trajectory and fire accordingly.

I’m a mediocre player and I’m guilty of sensing my imminent 1v1 defeat and puking out a grenade as I die to try and at least get the trade.

> 2533274793640702;3:
> I’m a mediocre player and I’m guilty of sensing my imminent 1v1 defeat and puking out a grenade as I die to try and at least get the trade.

I have to admit that I do this as well, like the martyrdom perk from the Call of Duty games. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn’t.

> 2533274809226598;4:
> > 2533274793640702;3:
> > I’m a mediocre player and I’m guilty of sensing my imminent 1v1 defeat and puking out a grenade as I die to try and at least get the trade.
>
> I have to admit that I do this as well, like the martyrdom perk from the Call of Duty games. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn’t.

Truthfully I absolutely hate when people do it to me, but I 100% do it all the time. That explains my 1300+ from the grave medals.

Pretty much it just comes down to headshots. Even if you get the jump on someone with body shots, they can turn around with a jump strafe and star you before the body shots kill them. Also, in H5 it is common to jump and thrust to the side/forward during a fight to avoid shots and throw them off of you.

You can also try rushing them as you shoot and crouch-melee. Hopefully you avoid their melee because of the crouch and you should have done enough damage with shooting to 1 hit them.

Bad habits

Spamming the trigger
Try pacing your your shots a bit

Tensing up

Forgetting to thrust when down a shot

Worrying too much about your strafe
(If it’s making you miss shots this is not good)

Good habits

Don’t peg the sticks

Pre aim

Short strafe close up, long strafe far away

Google/YouTube pegging sticks and pre aim if you have questions

> 2533274793640702;3:
> I’m a mediocre player and I’m guilty of sensing my imminent 1v1 defeat and puking out a grenade as I die to try and at least get the trade.

this and charging to melee are the ones that i think i see the most that could probably give you an edge against beginners…grenades are good for certain things, forcing a push or crowd control etc, but once you are in a 1v1 gun fight, use your guns…in the time it takes for you to throw a nade, you can get off two more pistol/br shots, which can make for a quick reversal…if you dont have first shot on them and dont think you can win, get out of there instead of just pushing on in. you can get your sheilds back for another go at it, or maybe they chase you and you can find terrain to turn the tables on them. As for the melees, people love to try and get this in, even if the opponents shields arent down or they are out of range…guy just run straight at you, and its great to just run straight backwards, shooting them in the head as you go. some people try to put shots on first while rushing forward and then finish with the melee, but this usually results in a trade at best. Trust your precision weapons, work on your accuracy and strafe, and these things will translate to results in any game mode

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274844311685;7:
> Bad habits
>
> Spamming the trigger
> Try pacing your your shots a bit
>
> Tensing up
>
> Forgetting to thrust when down a shot
>
> Worrying too much about your strafe
> (If it’s making you miss shots this is not good)
>
> Good habits
>
> Don’t peg the sticks
>
> Pre aim
>
> Short strafe close up, long strafe far away
>
> Google/YouTube pegging sticks and pre aim if you have questions

all of this is on point, especially the shot pacing. trigger spam is a habit i am currently trying to break myself of, and when i do, i see results…but its hard cause i get so excited…

Movement and reticle placement seperates good from the great.

If you wanna start getting better and winning your 1v1s more, you need to play smart. Do not waste thrusts, don’t strafe in a predictable manner, and don’t challenge unless you have a clear advantage. A smart player who uses his abilities and his surroundings/movement can win 1v1s against a player with better aim. Make players work to kill you.

> 2533274843610258;8:
> > 2533274793640702;3:
> > I’m a mediocre player and I’m guilty of sensing my imminent 1v1 defeat and puking out a grenade as I die to try and at least get the trade.
>
> this and charging to melee are the ones that i think i see the most that could probably give you an edge against beginners…grenades are good for certain things, forcing a push or crowd control etc, but once you are in a 1v1 gun fight, use your guns…in the time it takes for you to throw a nade, you can get off two more pistol/br shots, which can make for a quick reversal…if you dont have first shot on them and dont think you can win, get out of there instead of just pushing on in. you can get your sheilds back for another go at it, or maybe they chase you and you can find terrain to turn the tables on them. As for the melees, people love to try and get this in, even if the opponents shields arent down or they are out of range…guy just run straight at you, and its great to just run straight backwards, shooting them in the head as you go. some people try to put shots on first while rushing forward and then finish with the melee, but this usually results in a trade at best. Trust your precision weapons, work on your accuracy and strafe, and these things will translate to results in any game mode

Boy, I do that occasionally (running directly at enemies) and I always feel so rarted after I inevitably get murderised. Trying to break that habit at the moment.

I also wish that teams would coordinate better as well, I’m not the greatest at pulling together a team but sometimes it just seems so obvious what needs to happen. Does everyone on your team also have the realization? if so, what stops players from coming together and having a coordinated effort? (IMO It’s gotta be the frustrated players on the mic that deter communication, one bad experience, and someone’s view is tainted forever)

I have a pretty bad habit of not placing my reticle on someone’s head after shooting 4 bullets and taking out their shields I lost some easy gunfights because of this critical mistake. HIW DO I CORRECT IT?

Throwing a panic grenade is usually a bad mistake. It gives your opponent a relatively long amount time to damage you, while you’re stuck in an animation. Disengage to throw the grenade, or start with the grenade. A grenade in retaliation to being shot doesn’t usually help.

Make sure you have cover nearby, if possible. If you don’t, maybe don’t engage. Seeing an enemy and attacking immediately can lead to a frustrating death, or losing the kill. Take your time to position yourself.

Be cautious about going after the enemy if they run away. They may pull you back to their team, or to a part of the map where they have the upper hand.

Aim and strafing has been cover by others.

Try and avoid 1 v 1. Working with another teammate can make taking down enemies much easier, and lead to less deaths.