1v1 matchmaking stupid

Okay so I posted about this before but thread got hijacked;

I keep getting matched against Champion players in ranked 1v1 when I’m only Plat 3, how are players like me supposed to rank up?

I don’t believe the population is that low to justify such a stupid matchmaking system when other games do it much better.

Its not fun ranking up a little bit then getting tryhard pushed by champs and losing all my progress.

Having the matchmaking like it is will just lead to people stopping playing, especially in ranked.

Is there like a method to avoid being placed with people 2-3 rank tiers higher or something?

> 2533274831815628;1:
> Is there like a method to avoid being placed with people 2-3 rank tiers higher or something?

Add 'em and dodge 'em.

> 2533274830489835;2:
> > 2533274831815628;1:
> > Is there like a method to avoid being placed with people 2-3 rank tiers higher or something?
>
> Add 'em and dodge 'em.

But why do I have to do that? The game should know what my rank/skill is and put me against similar people.

Do I really have to be playing like a champion in order to reach even Diamond?

Its like the game is punishing low rank players by putting them against top tier players, just wasting their time and its stupid.

Is stuff like this being addressed in upcoming patches or anything?

> 2533274831815628;3:
> > 2533274830489835;2:
> > > 2533274831815628;1:
> > > Is there like a method to avoid being placed with people 2-3 rank tiers higher or something?
> >
> > Add 'em and dodge 'em.
>
> But why do I have to do that? The game should know what my rank/skill is and put me against similar people.
>
> Do I really have to be playing like a champion in order to reach even Diamond?
>
> Its like the game is punishing low rank players by putting them against top tier players, just wasting their time and its stupid.
>
> Is stuff like this being addressed in upcoming patches or anything?

The 1v1 population isn’t quite as high as the other playlists (2v2, 3v3), so there’s a much lower chance that you’re going to quick search someone. Basically, if you quick search you’re guaranteed someone who is around your skill level. But if it says “maximum search radius” it’s going to give you anyone who’s searching. It’s annoying to have to de-queue a search and then scroll down and search again, but if you want to avoid being put against someone way higher ranked than you it’s what you have to do.

Hello Derpinton94,

I agree that the matchmaking system can be frustrating at times. I however have accepted and adapted to how the system works. I would rather take the good with the bad than have to wait 10+ minute ques to find a match. I am use to this kind of system because I have played other competitive games that have a small playerbase and this is a common issue.

The good news is that when you play against people that are tiers above your rank and have a much higher CSR ranking, than you shouldn’t lose almost any CSR points. For instance, I played against LargoPancake and GOD JUGGERNAUT (both of which are champion in Solo) this past week when I was still in Onyx, and I only lost a total of 3-4 points from the 2 matches I played against GOD JUGGERNAUT and the 1 match I played against LargoPancake. You don’t really lose any of your CSR points, but after losing to those opponents, you might be demoralized as from this post. It is best to move on from those matches, but more importantly, it is a good time to reflect what you could have done better which leads to my second point.

The other pro that I find is that when you play against these players, they might use an optimal strategy on you. Obviously, this isn’t good for your win condition, but if you are able to reason and rationalize their strategy, this can help you improve your game (this can be difficult from your current rank/experience with the game because you may not have a higher understanding of the game which would help you piece together strategies/builds/APM). Of course, as long as they aren’t trolling you by playing less optimal strategies, then the match should be beneficial if you can take something away from the match and avoid being frustrated.

Also, worth noting, Halo Wars also had this issue, but in Halo Wars 2, there aren’t many documents or guides on how to play or improve. A lot of how Halo Wars players learn is through trial by fire. They simply play the game, and if the player thinks there is a way to rectify an issue they experienced during a match, then they will change up their strategy and make a solution. I don’t know of any skilled players that have taken the time to make a comprehensive guide on how to play. I don’t blame them because it would be a huge undertaking and would take a large amount of time.

What I have done to improve is to watch YouTube videos and Twitch streams. I follow BTC on Youtube and on Twitch Yodaesla and NakamuraRTS. I would recommend those. Lastly, this has been said in a previous post, but I would strongly recommend joining the BTC and Banished Discords. A good majority of the champion level players are in those discords, and they all help each other with strategies and how to play. Basically, the champion players help each other improve within those Discords.

> 2533274830489835;4:
> > 2533274831815628;3:
> > > 2533274830489835;2:
> > > > 2533274831815628;1:
> > > > Is there like a method to avoid being placed with people 2-3 rank tiers higher or something?
> > >
> > > Add 'em and dodge 'em.
> >
> > But why do I have to do that? The game should know what my rank/skill is and put me against similar people.
> >
> > Do I really have to be playing like a champion in order to reach even Diamond?
> >
> > Its like the game is punishing low rank players by putting them against top tier players, just wasting their time and its stupid.
> >
> > Is stuff like this being addressed in upcoming patches or anything?
>
> The 1v1 population isn’t quite as high as the other playlists (2v2, 3v3), so there’s a much lower chance that you’re going to quick search someone. Basically, if you quick search you’re guaranteed someone who is around your skill level. But if it says “maximum search radius” it’s going to give you anyone who’s searching. It’s annoying to have to de-queue a search and then scroll down and search again, but if you want to avoid being put against someone way higher ranked than you it’s what you have to do.

I do this already and it makes no difference, I’ve still been matched against LargoPancake and other top 200 champions in the last few days as a Plat 2-3. When I go into a match I’m not expecting a top 200 champion to be my opponent, so I end up losing since they’re usually very aggressive in their gameplay compared to a plat or diamond player.

> 2533274799223896;5:
> Hello Derpinton94,
>
> I agree that the matchmaking system can be frustrating at times. I however have accepted and adapted to how the system works. I would rather take the good with the bad than have to wait 10+ minute ques to find a match. I am use to this kind of system because I have played other competitive games that have a small playerbase and this is a common issue.
>
> The good news is that when you play against people that are tiers above your rank and have a much higher CSR ranking, than you shouldn’t lose almost any CSR points. For instance, I played against LargoPancake and GOD JUGGERNAUT (both of which are champion in Solo) this past week when I was still in Onyx, and I only lost a total of 3-4 points from the 2 matches I played against GOD JUGGERNAUT and the 1 match I played against LargoPancake. You don’t really lose any of your CSR points, but after losing to those opponents, you might be demoralized as from this post. It is best to move on from those matches, but more importantly, it is a good time to reflect what you could have done better which leads to my second point.
>
> The other pro that I find is that when you play against these players, they might use an optimal strategy on you. Obviously, this isn’t good for your win condition, but if you are able to reason and rationalize their strategy, this can help you improve your game (this can be difficult from your current rank/experience with the game because you may not have a higher understanding of the game which would help you piece together strategies/builds/APM). Of course, as long as they aren’t trolling you by playing less optimal strategies, then the match should be beneficial if you can take something away from the match and avoid being frustrated.
>
> Also, worth noting, Halo Wars also had this issue, but in Halo Wars 2, there aren’t many documents or guides on how to play or improve. A lot of how Halo Wars players learn is through trial by fire. They simply play the game, and if the player thinks there is a way to rectify an issue they experienced during a match, then they will change up their strategy and make a solution. I don’t know of any skilled players that have taken the time to make a comprehensive guide on how to play. I don’t blame them because it would be a huge undertaking and would take a large amount of time.
>
> What I have done to improve is to watch YouTube videos and Twitch streams. I follow BTC on Youtube and on Twitch Yodaesla and NakamuraRTS. I would recommend those. Lastly, this has been said in a previous post, but I would strongly recommend joining the BTC and Banished Discords. A good majority of the champion level players are in those discords, and they all help each other with strategies and how to play. Basically, the champion players help each other improve within those Discords.

So if I’m losing a game to a champ player should I be destroying my bases instead of resigning? because I do remember losing 20+ points for resigning to a champ recently.

From the games I’ve had against champs recently, it just seems like they’re very aggressive within the first 5 minutes and are constantly trying to take power nodes, and because I’m expecting a plat/diamond player and not a champ, they out-micro me and I get beat. I mainly play as Anders and Atriox so maybe one or both of those leaders are weak at the start or something? I dunno.

I’ve watched a few BTC and TR videos on youtube and they aren’t doing anything I’m not doing lol, maybe I have bad luck with the players I’m going against, but its just my matches are so inconsistent in terms of who I go up against, I can’t tell whether its a champ or a plat player until its too late :confused:

yes is the same idea

> 2533274831815628;7:
> > 2533274799223896;5:
> > Hello Derpinton94,
> >
> > I agree that the matchmaking system can be frustrating at times. I however have accepted and adapted to how the system works. I would rather take the good with the bad than have to wait 10+ minute ques to find a match. I am use to this kind of system because I have played other competitive games that have a small playerbase and this is a common issue.
> >
> > The good news is that when you play against people that are tiers above your rank and have a much higher CSR ranking, than you shouldn’t lose almost any CSR points. For instance, I played against LargoPancake and GOD JUGGERNAUT (both of which are champion in Solo) this past week when I was still in Onyx, and I only lost a total of 3-4 points from the 2 matches I played against GOD JUGGERNAUT and the 1 match I played against LargoPancake. You don’t really lose any of your CSR points, but after losing to those opponents, you might be demoralized as from this post. It is best to move on from those matches, but more importantly, it is a good time to reflect what you could have done better which leads to my second point.
> >
> > The other pro that I find is that when you play against these players, they might use an optimal strategy on you. Obviously, this isn’t good for your win condition, but if you are able to reason and rationalize their strategy, this can help you improve your game (this can be difficult from your current rank/experience with the game because you may not have a higher understanding of the game which would help you piece together strategies/builds/APM). Of course, as long as they aren’t trolling you by playing less optimal strategies, then the match should be beneficial if you can take something away from the match and avoid being frustrated.
> >
> > Also, worth noting, Halo Wars also had this issue, but in Halo Wars 2, there aren’t many documents or guides on how to play or improve. A lot of how Halo Wars players learn is through trial by fire. They simply play the game, and if the player thinks there is a way to rectify an issue they experienced during a match, then they will change up their strategy and make a solution. I don’t know of any skilled players that have taken the time to make a comprehensive guide on how to play. I don’t blame them because it would be a huge undertaking and would take a large amount of time.
> >
> > What I have done to improve is to watch YouTube videos and Twitch streams. I follow BTC on Youtube and on Twitch Yodaesla and NakamuraRTS. I would recommend those. Lastly, this has been said in a previous post, but I would strongly recommend joining the BTC and Banished Discords. A good majority of the champion level players are in those discords, and they all help each other with strategies and how to play. Basically, the champion players help each other improve within those Discords.
>
> So if I’m losing a game to a champ player should I be destroying my bases instead of resigning? because I do remember losing 20+ points for resigning to a champ recently.
>
> From the games I’ve had against champs recently, it just seems like they’re very aggressive within the first 5 minutes and are constantly trying to take power nodes, and because I’m expecting a plat/diamond player and not a champ, they out-micro me and I get beat. I mainly play as Anders and Atriox so maybe one or both of those leaders are weak at the start or something? I dunno.
>
> I’ve watched a few BTC and TR videos on youtube and they aren’t doing anything I’m not doing lol, maybe I have bad luck with the players I’m going against, but its just my matches are so inconsistent in terms of who I go up against, I can’t tell whether its a champ or a plat player until its too late :confused:

Yes, resigning forces you to lose the most possible CSR from what I can tell. Destroying bases is the right thing to do and getting your units killed before the timer. Better than wasting everyone’s time. You wont lose much CSR from letting the game play out (by destroying bases) to a champ player.

> 2533274831815628;1:
> Okay so I posted about this before but thread got hijacked;
>
> I keep getting matched against Champion players in ranked 1v1 when I’m only Plat 3, how are players like me supposed to rank up?
>
> I don’t believe the population is that low to justify such a stupid matchmaking system when other games do it much better.
>
> Its not fun ranking up a little bit then getting tryhard pushed by champs and losing all my progress.
>
> Having the matchmaking like it is will just lead to people stopping playing, especially in ranked.
>
> Is there like a method to avoid being placed with people 2-3 rank tiers higher or something?

Believe me I do understand your frustration (although from the other side) I play a lot of 2v2s and often quickly match up against golds-plats. Which I am going to be frank the skill difference between between even plat and champion is huge and often just due to experience the game will be over quickly unless the lower level player tries to turtle (don’t bother with this as you will still lose v a champ it will just waste both of your time). The best thing is just try and play as aggressive as possible early game as that should help you get practice in once you have lost the early game recycle your base and wait out the timer you should only lose 1-2%. Many people are having this issue and it seems there may be some improvements on the way so we will have to hope they can stop this from happening as often as it does.

I recommend stay away from 1v1 at the moment unless your good/or get good at rushing.

the problem at the moment is there’s many 2nd accounts being played so it’s hard to determine if you are playing against a “new” player or if your actually matched against a player with the same ish skills as you.