1V1 - do they determine skill?

I recently had a discussion with one of my friends about 1V1s. Does a 1V1 in Halo actually determine who is better at the game? This seems like a no-brainer, but my friend raised a few good points so I’d like to hear your opinions. I suggested that a set of 1V1s (eg. first to five) would be a pretty clear indicator of who is the more skilled player. What are your thoughts?

Discuss.

The question is, what show skill in H4?

I guess it really depends. One guy could grab the power weapons early on and just kill the other over and over. Sure, he might be “less skilled” for letting it happen but every one slips up sometimes.

I think the best determination would be a symmetrical arena map such as Haven, symmetrical player spawns (such as the opposite sides on Haven that are the exact same), no power weapons, and the exact same loadouts.

Unless contesting power weapons is also what is considered skill.

Yes, as long as both players start on equal footing, then it’s based on skill.

Though you would have to remove instant spawns, ordnance drops (random) and random weapon drops.

> Unless contesting power weapons is also what is considered skill.

I would venture to say that controlling power weapons is an important skill that should be factored into the equation.

> > Unless contesting power weapons is also what is considered skill.
>
> I would venture to say that controlling power weapons is an important skill that should be factored into the equation.

My reasoning being though that there is only 1 person on each team. If you die during the initial fight you are punished for the rest of the game instead of having teammates to aid you or take down the power weapon user.

No not really. It’s just so static, and the abilities of the players are limited by the gametype and map. Some players might shine at one playstyle that some players don’t. It also doesn’t show how the players deal with teamwork, or how they adapt to changing environments and situations.

Frankly it’s mainly used as an automatic argument win device.

> No not really. It’s just so static, and the abilities of the players are limited by the gametype and map. Some players might shine at one playstyle that some players don’t. It also doesn’t show how the players deal with teamwork, or how they adapt to changing environments and situations.
>
> Frankly it’s mainly used as an automatic argument win device.

I disagree. True, it doesn’t show strategy or team skill. But it does display how well the person can aim and position himself on the map.

> > Unless contesting power weapons is also what is considered skill.
>
> I would venture to say that controlling power weapons is an important skill that should be factored into the equation.

If there are static weapon spawns, which you can predict.

> My reasoning being though that there is only 1 person on each team. If you die during the initial fight you are punished for the rest of the game instead of having teammates to aid you or take down the power weapon user.

Well put. That’s the point my friend brought up. I understand that the player who loses the initial fight will have to tread carefully thereafter, but isn’t that part of what determines the better player? Imagine a boxing match where Boxer A gets a lucky right hook on Boxer B in the first round, causing him to be slightly disoriented for the following rounds. He was outplayed initially and suffered accordingly, but the disadvantage he suffers is deserved.

> If there are static weapon spawns, which you can predict.

Of course! :stuck_out_tongue:

Personal ordnances and random drops pretty well randomize the outcome.

1v1 shows who is better at 1v1s, that is all.

> I recently had a discussion with one of my friends about 1V1s. Does a 1V1 in Halo actually determine who is better at the game? This seems like a no-brainer, but my friend raised a few good points so I’d like to hear your opinions. I suggested that a set of 1V1s (eg. first to five) would be a pretty clear indicator of who is the more skilled player. What are your thoughts?
>
> Discuss.

As someone who plays 1v1’s regularly, and has played many through out all of the online Halo’s I can honestly say that 1v1’s do not entirely determine skill.

There are many factors you have to take into account such as host (In Halo 4 a player who has host has obvious advantages the worst being the ability to obtain things before your opponents), map knowledge & experience(where weapons spawn, weapon timers, spawn knowledge etc.), and weapon acquiring.
Skill is also measured between weapons; For example in a 1v1 one player may be an exceptional sniper while the other may be an exceptional BR user. In that instance if the sniper gets a sniper and capitalizes on one kill he may be able to keep the opponent on spawn lock for the rest of the game, but if the sniper can not gain access to a sniper and is forced to use other weapons he may lose.

Taking all that into account I have always been left with the conclusion that 1v1’s only indicate skill to a small extent, and are extremely situational. If two players know a map’s attributes equally, are placed on a very well balanced map like sanctuary, and are pitted against each other on LAN then I would say it would be a viable way to determine skill, but on XBL not really.

If one player is better than another it takes many different things to show that, as far as 1v1’s go if someone can beat you consistently off host then I
would say they are probably a more skill player.
In any case if I had to give a yes or no answer on the subject (which I believe isn’t something you can give in this situation) It would be that 1v1’s are not a true indicator of skill. 1v1’s are about power weapons, and Host.

Use 1v1v1 Multiteam.

If possible make it so the person who isn’t fighting is the host, and make his ‘team’ spawn in a spectator area instead of on the battlefield. Or you could just LAN and avoid all that hassle.

Remove power weapons.

Mmmm I personally think 1v1s are ridiculous.

No multiplayer game is designed or balanced around 1v1 combat unless it’s a fighting game. Most games usually involve more than two people, and thus how they are designed and balanced.

When someone calls, “I’ll 1v1 you” it’s kind of just silly imo.

Edit: Maps are totally not designed around 1v1 either…So you’d have to forge a map simply to do 1v1s in.

> In any case if I had to give a yes or no answer on the subject (which I believe isn’t something you can give in this situation) It would be that 1v1’s are not a true indicator of skill. 1v1’s are about power weapons, and Host.

That’s fair. However, I’d suggest that controlling power weapons is part of what indicates skill in a 1V1.

> Mmmm I personally think 1v1s are ridiculous.
>
> No multiplayer game is designed or balanced around 1v1 combat unless it’s a fighting game. Most games usually involve more than two people, and thus how they are designed and balanced.
>
> When someone calls, “I’ll 1v1 you” it’s kind of just silly imo.

No it isn’t. You might play 2v2, 4v4, 6v6 or whatever, doesn’t matter. You will experience 1v1s all the time. Good teams teamshoot more, but you will still 1v1 several times in a game. Not just Halo, but I would say every shooter out there. Even in a higly team oriented game like BF3 you’ll experience countless 1v1s.

> No it isn’t. You might play 2v2, 4v4, 6v6 or whatever, doesn’t matter. You will experience 1v1s all the time. Good teams teamshoot more, but you will still 1v1 several times in a game. Not just Halo, but I would say every shooter out there. Even in a higly team oriented game like BF3 you’ll experience countless 1v1s.

That’s not the point. The game’s rules were not created for 1v1 scenarios. Whether you experience them or not is not the point. You can’t say, “Oh I’m more skilled because I beat you in a 1v1”. Every weapon, every map, every attribute of your character are all designed around playing as a team.

> Edit: Maps are totally not designed around 1v1 either…So you’d have to forge a map simply to do 1v1s in.

The octagon.

Also Guardian was an awesome 1v1 map. I think they show who is the better individual player. That doesn’t mean much though when you’re playing on a team.

1 v 1 = first to 15

1 v 1 = Host > Skill

End.