1st person animations

In Halo 4 i want there to be 1st person animations in gameplay because it just feels stale and boring for example:running up to a wall your gun just goes through it, how about a taking cover action but without having to press a button so it actualy looks like a more realistic shooter or something?

thoughts

A “realistic shooter”?

Since when did Halo become realistic?

A cover system in Halo would not fit. Some first person animations would be cool though. There could be an option to have first person assassinations.

> A “realistic shooter”?
>
> Since when did Halo become realistic?

Actually Halo is one of the most realistic popular games when you think about it, who are you to say what state our universe will be in and what technology we might have in 500 years. Anything is possible as of now.

I agree with the gun magically goes through the wall thing because glitches bother me alot but as for the cover system its not Halo.

> > A “realistic shooter”?
> >
> > Since when did Halo become realistic?
>
> Actually Halo is one of the most realistic popular games when you think about it, who are you to say what state our universe will be in and what technology we might have in 500 years. Anything is possible as of now.

You cannot predict such things, and therefore it still has the (inevitable) chance of not happening and therefore it is still unrealistic.

Even with space gear I doubt you will live to tell the story about jumping out of a ship from space and survive.

Halo is unrealistic.

No cover system in Halo. Cover systems are always stupid IMO. I know how to hide behind cover without needing a button for it.

> > > A “realistic shooter”?
> > >
> > > Since when did Halo become realistic?
> >
> > Actually Halo is one of the most realistic popular games when you think about it, who are you to say what state our universe will be in and what technology we might have in 500 years. Anything is possible as of now.
>
> You cannot predict such things, and therefore it still has the (inevitable) chance of not happening and therefore it is still unrealistic.
>
> Even with space gear I doubt you will live to tell the story about jumping out of a ship from space and survive.
>
> Halo is unrealistic.

Actually, a lot of the kinds of technology used in Halo are far closer to happening than you would think. They’ve made groundbreaking advances in many fields that would suggest that the humans in the 2500s should have more advanced technology, unless at some point they lost some of it.

I see no harm in a small animation to prevent object overlapping. So long as it as no effect on gameplay.

> I agree with the gun magically goes through the wall thing because glitches bother me alot but as for the cover system its not Halo.

343 can do what Splash Damage did in Brink: when you stand right up against a wall, facing it, your hands pull the gun back a bit and point it upward, so that it does not go through the wall.

As for first-person animations in general, I’d love to see two very specific options for how one’s hands and arms are shown in first-person…

The vast majority of first-person shooters place the camera in your head, but use an in-hands view (rather than an in-head) for the weapon. While this is more intuitive, it also essentially become a paradox: “Your arms, anatomically speaking, would have to be bolted to your face to actually see what you see in the game” (Raven Software). It gives you a convenient view of your arms and weapon, but it is also a flagrant violation of basic anatomical realism.

Recently, I was in a Customs lobby when someone loaded an… altered… gametype in which players spawned with no weapon. When I used Sprint, I found that it was the most natural-looking thing I’d ever seen in Halo: my view/head bobbing up and down as if I were running, but with no anatomically-impossible arm position ruining the effect. For all intents and purposes, things looked exactly as they would have had I myself been in Forge World, running around on my own two feet and observing the world with my own two eyes. That single simple act – Sprinting with no first-person arms – was the most immersive and natural experience I’ve ever had in any Halo game.

That is why I’d love to see an alternate option for first-person view: one where the camera uses both in-head placement and in-head view. Where your first-person arms are positioned realistically rather than conveniently. At the absolute least, this would be wonderful for Campaign, some puzzle maps in Customs, and machinima. This would fit alongside the usual view (in-head placement, in-hands view), the usual also being the default.

> > > A “realistic shooter”?
> > >
> > > Since when did Halo become realistic?
> >
> > Actually Halo is one of the most realistic popular games when you think about it, who are you to say what state our universe will be in and what technology we might have in 500 years. Anything is possible as of now.
>
> You cannot predict such things, and therefore it still has the (inevitable) chance of not happening and therefore it is still unrealistic.
>
> Even with space gear I doubt you will live to tell the story about jumping out of a ship from space and survive.
>
> Halo is unrealistic.

But it is realistic for the universe its set in.

So…you want the gun not to crash but have an animation look like it’s leaning up against the wall?

That sounds horrible for Halo gameplay not to mention pointless.

Ask yourself this OP. Exactly what would Halo benefit from this other than being “realistic”?

I disregard anything that wants to be ‘realistic’ because 100% of the time it fails harder than justin bieber at…well everything.(yes I bashed justin bieber. U MAD?)

> So…you want the gun not to crash but have an animation look like it’s leaning up against the wall?
>
> That sounds horrible for Halo gameplay not to mention pointless.

> have an animation look like it’s leaning up against the wall?
>
> That sounds horrible for Halo gameplay

> an animation … horrible for Halo gameplay

> animation … gameplay

A purely-visual first-person-only animation applied in a limited set of edge-cases would literally not have any effect on gameplay. And “pointless” is hardly any reason to condemn an idea that would offer a minor benefit in exchange for very, very little development time.

> A “realistic shooter”?
>
> Since when did Halo become realistic?

“Realistic” as in player models not constantly holding their weapons up and aiming.

Not “realistic” as in modern.

You guys are misunderstanding what he means.

A lot of FPS games have a feature where, when you’re right up against a wall and facing it, the gun either is held down by the player, or it is pulled back based on how far away you are from the wall. Someone mentioned Brink having something like that. That would be a minor change, and would help the look of it as far as guys looking stupid, or having guns through walls. A console in today’s day and age can only handle so much, but there are certainly a lot of things that can be improved without that much of a problem.

I think Aliens vs. Predator did the same thing with the whole pointing the weapon upwards thing.

> In Halo 4 i want there to be 1st person animations in gameplay because it just feels stale and boring for example:running up to a wall your gun just goes through it, how about a taking cover action but without having to press a button so it actualy looks like a more realistic shooter or something?
>
> thoughts

The last thing I want for Halo is for it to become more like COD by adopting a cover system: personally, I hate the “shoot and then duck until your shields recover for 15 minutes” strategy, and prefer a campaign in which the situations are more dynamic and call for quick, creative judgment on the player’s part.

That being said, I’m excited for any addition to the game 343 is planning that will move Halo one step further in video game realism (not that Halo is a realistic game, by any means, but realistic in the visual and character developmental aspects), and think first person animations would enhance that sense of game immersion which I love so much.

> > In Halo 4 i want there to be 1st person animations in gameplay because it just feels stale and boring for example:running up to a wall your gun just goes through it, how about a taking cover action but without having to press a button so it actualy looks like a more realistic shooter or something?
> >
> > thoughts
>
> The last thing I want for Halo is for it to become more like COD by adopting a cover system: personally, I hate the “shoot and then duck until your shields recover for 15 minutes” strategy, and prefer a campaign in which the situations are more dynamic and call for quick, creative judgment on the player’s part.
>
> That being said, I’m excited for any addition to the game 343 is planning that will move Halo one step further in video game realism (not that Halo is a realistic game, by any means, but realistic in the visual and character developmental aspects), and think first person animations would enhance that sense of game immersion which I love so much.

I think im misunderstanding but COD doesn’t have a cover system.

> In Halo 4 i want there to be 1st person animations in gameplay because it just feels stale and boring for example: running up to a wall your gun just goes through it, how about a taking cover action but without having to press a button so it actualy looks like a more realistic shooter or something?
>
> thoughts

Especially with the Sniper. 343 should definitely ad these nice touches. It would help machinima and just appeal overall.