#1 reason why radar is broken

If someone has already discovered this I have yet to see any posts about it so I will assume I am the first. Now to the point. One of the biggest issues in Halo 5 is its seemingly useless radar, and until now it was blamed on its reduced (18m) range. However, after playing a custom game with a friend, I noticed that he had vanished from my radar when he began to sprint. Yes, try it for yourself in a custom or observe it in an online match, when an enemy is sprinting they do not appear on the outer two rings of the radar’s effective radius. Only when they enter the inner-most circle of the radar do they show up, explaining why some enemies are able to reach out and touch you before you notice them. Whoever is responsible for this design choice really needs to take a timeout and think about what they’ve done.

Throw in shoulder charge and you’re basically defenseless against sprint happy maniacs unless you have a team calling out. Hence the frustration of people accustomed to playing solo.

I never noticed it but thinking about it I think it’s good. You sacrifice a lot by sprinting.

Wow. If this is true, that’s one heck of an observation.
I can’t wait to check this out when I get home. If this is the case I am going to feel much more comfortable sprinting up behind guys to give them a swift thumbing.
:slight_smile:

I got to admit its starting to annoy me slightly that the sprint and charge round the corner

Spot on. I made my own thread a while back that explores the issues with the radar.

Link

> 2714893168235097;3:
> I never noticed it but thinking about it I think it’s good. You sacrifice a lot by sprinting.

No, the enemy disappears from your radar if they are sprinting, meaning it’s a gigantic advantage to sprint and melee from behind rather than take a few shots before they turn around.

I hadn’t noticed this, but also don’t have any friends to do tests in customs with. Interesting, and extremely disappointing from 343i.

I have video footage of players strafing in front of me and disappearing/reappearing rapidly on my radar. I also have footage of a 1v1 I walked in on in FFA, but only 1 of the 2 players besides myself were visible on my radar.

343i literally can’t get anything right the first time, can they? And if they do, it’s delayed several months (Forge, BTB, etc.).

I’d like if it was expanded to at least 25m but if not, I’ll get used to it.

> 2535434496323314;7:
> > 2714893168235097;3:
> > I never noticed it but thinking about it I think it’s good. You sacrifice a lot by sprinting.
>
>
> No, the enemy disappears from your radar if they are sprinting, meaning it’s a gigantic advantage to sprint and melee from behind rather than take a few shots before they turn around.

I agree with dingo and want to say just because you place *'s around a few words, doesn’t make it an arguement. I agree with how the system is. If you are sprinting and pop around a corner with an adversary who is ready to go, you should lose.

If you are able to flank your adversary due to bad teamwork on their part then that is pretty much the only way this mechanic will be beneficial. This is simply an issue of awareness. Don’t let them flank ya.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t care what they changed it to. It’s the same for both sides.

> 2533274890314548;8:
> I’d like if it was expanded to at least 25m but if not, I’ll get used to it.

Gotta love how many people don’t seem to understand what the OP, and hundreds of others, are saying. Week after week, the radar remains broken. I’m not talking about “OMG 18m is too short make it bigggeeerrrr” broken, I’m talking about “The radar does not accurately and precisely do what it was made to do.”

It’s 18m, but dots do not show up until an “inner ring” on the radar, which is probably 5-10m away from the player.

Dots visible flash back and forth between two different locations on the radar, slowly getting closer together as they get closer to the player. Watch this video: https://account.xbox.com/en-US/gameclips?gamertag=A+Timbers+Fan

Players might not ever appear on the radar, despite moving at a normal pace (i.e. not “slow”).

I’m sure there are a few others that I’ve missed, but these are documented by many players, and there is visual proof for them. Please, for the sake of my sanity and the opportunity to make this game much better, quit dismissing this as just a change 343i made on purpose and ask them to fix it.

> 2533274794829884;9:
> > 2535434496323314;7:
> > > 2714893168235097;3:
> > > I never noticed it but thinking about it I think it’s good. You sacrifice a lot by sprinting.
> >
> >
> > No, the enemy disappears from your radar if they are sprinting, meaning it’s a gigantic advantage to sprint and melee from behind rather than take a few shots before they turn around.
>
>
> I agree with dingo and want to say just because you place *'s around a few words, doesn’t make it an arguement. I agree with how the system is. If you are sprinting and pop around a corner with an adversary who is ready to go, you should lose.
>
> If you are able to flank your adversary due to bad teamwork on their part then that is pretty much the only way this mechanic will be beneficial.

I have to disagree. Flanks are a great tactical strategy, but there are other ways of performing them without needing to sprint head first into an enemy to Spartan charge them. If an opponent is playing smart and watching their radar they should be able to counter attack a flank, but in Halo 5’s case this is next to impossible.

> 2533274834537210;11:
> > 2533274794829884;9:
> > > 2535434496323314;7:
> > > > 2714893168235097;3:
> > > > I never noticed it but thinking about it I think it’s good. You sacrifice a lot by sprinting.
> > >
> > >
> > > No, the enemy disappears from your radar if they are sprinting, meaning it’s a gigantic advantage to sprint and melee from behind rather than take a few shots before they turn around.
> >
> >
> > I agree with dingo and want to say just because you place *'s around a few words, doesn’t make it an arguement. I agree with how the system is. If you are sprinting and pop around a corner with an adversary who is ready to go, you should lose.
> >
> > If you are able to flank your adversary due to bad teamwork on their part then that is pretty much the only way this mechanic will be beneficial.
>
>
> I have to disagree. Flanks are a great tactical strategy, but there are other ways of performing them without needing to sprint head first into an enemy to Spartan charge them. If an opponent is playing smart and watching their radar they should be able to counter attack a flank, but in Halo 5’s case this is next to impossible.

I agree. I haven’t been to counter this at all other than the insanely fast reflexes to escape. (I have no idea what kind of reflexes. I just somehow escaped by luck.)

> 2533274794829884;9:
> > 2535434496323314;7:
> > > 2714893168235097;3:
> > > I never noticed it but thinking about it I think it’s good. You sacrifice a lot by sprinting.
> >
> >
> > No, the enemy disappears from your radar if they are sprinting, meaning it’s a gigantic advantage to sprint and melee from behind rather than take a few shots before they turn around.
>
>
> I agree with dingo and want to say just because you place *'s around a few words, doesn’t make it an arguement. I agree with how the system is. If you are sprinting and pop around a corner with an adversary who is ready to go, you should lose.
>
> If you are able to flank your adversary due to bad teamwork on their part then that is pretty much the only way this mechanic will be beneficial. This is simply an issue of awareness. Don’t let them flank ya.
>
> Honestly though, I wouldn’t care what they changed it to. It’s the same for both sides.

Do you truly not understand? It is near impossible for me to be “aware” or “ready to go”, as you say, when I don’t know someone is coming. I’m perfectly fine with gameplay without a radar, but I’m incredibly disappointed when the radar is included but does not work as intended. Let’s lay it out as simply as possible for you both:

  1. Radar is 18m. Let’s assume the function of the radar is to alert the player of approaching enemies within an 18m radius, showing up as red diamonds/blips/circles/whatever.

  2. If someone is sprinting at me, I should theoretically know when they are 18m away, and be able to track their movement via the red dot on the radar as they approach my location.

  3. If (2) were true, then I would be “aware”.

However, (2) is not true (and I use asterisks solely to highlight key points in my sentences, which should not discount my argument which is completely valid.

Instead, (2) reads like this:

  1. When an enemy is sprinting, they do not show up on the radar until they are within the inner circle, as OP pointed out and is the whole entire purpose of this thread. That inner circle is about half the distance between the outer circle and your location, so let’s approximate between 7-10m. Now, if the enemy, who is sprinting, does not appear until they are 7-10m away, I have considerably less time to turn around and engage. Add in the fact that they can do this weird shoulder charge thing now, it’s basically like turning a corner and encountering a crouching enemy holding a sword, who immediately lunges and kills you from a decent distance away.

Understand?

Just get rid of it altogether.

> 2714893168235097;3:
> I never noticed it but thinking about it I think it’s good. You sacrifice a lot by sprinting.

You WOULD sacrifice alot if the radar was bigger. The problem is that you have a spartan charge and like the OP said, you can’t see people sprinting until they reach the inner most ring of the radar. This actually really explains why I tend to keep getting jumped so often while i’m in the middle of a gun fight. My awareness is pretty average and I always seem to get jumped and only see the red dot at the last millisecond. I always thought it was just me not paying attention but it looks like its 343’s fault 2 :I

If you keep your head on a swivel, and listen to callouts, radar is not needed so this shouldn’t be a problem.

> 2535452631595417;16:
> If you keep your head on a swivel, and listen to callouts, radar is not needed so this shouldn’t be a problem.

Because everyone has a fully functional team that calls out? LOL. While there are teams like that, I’d go out on a limb and say the majority of players play solo or with a few buddies but do so without ultra-competitive gameplay in mind.

Broken and reduced range should just remove entirely pretty useless in its current stat.

I understand there are many that don’t share my opinion but I think this is a good trade off. When sprinting it takes a long time to bring your weapon back up and the spartan charge is ridiculous easy to dodge. If you’re spotted from afar, you’re more than likely dead. If you spartan charge and miss because it’s dodged, you’re more than likely dead. If you sprint away because you’re 1 shot away from death, you receive no shields and are more than likely dead. If this was intentionally put into the game as a benefit to the sprinter, I think it’s a pretty good mechanic. There are a ton of risks for sprinting.

> 2533274862478659;14:
> Just get rid of it altogether.

I like the idea, but I think it makes the game less accessible. I think the radar’s fine for the most part. It’s less of a crutch and more of a tool.

It’d be interesting if the radar picked up non-movement. For example if a player is crouched behind a corner for over a certain amount of time then they start to show up on radar.