0%: Magnum is not OP.

I’ve been reading nonstop complaints about the Magnum being perceived as “overpowered”. It isn’t, for a multitude of reasons.

1. The small clip only enables you to kill 1 fully shielded player before reloading, rendering it almost ineffective in a situation with more than 2 enemy players.

2. There is very little ammunition, which means camping is out, because you can only kill 3 or 4 people from a distance before going out to scavenge more ammo from corpses, which puts you in danger of being killed.

3. A skilled DMR user can still easily kill a Magnum user at medium to long range; and that’s what the DMR is for. The Magnum is for close to medium range, and that’s where it is mostly superior.

4. The power, accuracy, and rate of fire make the Magnum a useful weapon in its own right, finally worth keeping and not trading off for something else.

Boost the damage of the other weapons (especially the Assault Rifle), remove every Armor Ability except possibly Sprint and Evade, increase movement speed and jump height, couple that with melee bleedthrough and you’ve got yourself a fast-paced, real Halo game. The great thing is, Vanilla Reach is and will always be there if you prefer it.

> I’ve been reading nonstop complaints about the Magnum being perceived as “overpowered”. It isn’t, for a multitude of reasons.
>
> 1. The small clip only enables you to kill 1 fully shielded player before reloading, rendering it almost ineffective in a situation with more than 2 enemy players.
>
> 2. There is very little ammunition, which means camping is out, because you can only kill 3 or 4 people from a distance before going out to scavenge more ammo from corpses, which puts you in danger of being killed.
>
> 3. A skilled DMR user can still easily kill a Magnum user at medium to long range; and that’s what the DMR is for. The Magnum is for close to medium range, and that’s where it is mostly superior.
>
> 4. The power, accuracy, and rate of fire make the Magnum a useful weapon in its own right, finally worth keeping and not trading off for something else.
>
> Boost the damage of the other weapons (especially the Assault Rifle), remove every Armor Ability except possibly Sprint and Evade, increase movement speed and jump height, couple that with melee bleedthrough and you’ve got yourself a fast-paced, real Halo game. The great thing is, Vanilla Reach is and will always be there if you prefer it.

1. That’s an odd point to make, because no starting weapon SHOULD be able to deal with 2 enemies at once. Assault rifle can’t, DMR can only manage it at range. People’s criticism of the magnum’s power is down to it bringing people down very very fast, not because it can control crowds.

2. If people spawn with it, it’ll only be a minute or two before magnums litter the floors. You’ll probably end up with 40 ammo on the floor at any spawn point in no time.

3. People wanted the DMR changed because of “spammers” who got lucky. The Magnum is the epitome of spam. I’ve only played the TU playlist a little but I’ve found the Magnum far more preferable to the DMR because you can make it bark like a wild dog in the general direction of someone’s face and kill them most of the time, whereas a DMR goes slower and is less versatile overall. A magnum user is only kept in check by other magnum users.

4. Reach’s magnum was always for finishing up. You take the shields away with something else and finish the job with the magnum. It was an ideal side arm and augmented other weapons well. Now it’s a fast, powerful DMR and should be favoured by all.

All in all, it’s OP, and makes other weapons a pointless gamble, unless you’re talking a rockets or something.

> 1. That’s an odd point to make, because no starting weapon SHOULD be able to deal with 2 enemies at once. Assault rifle can’t, DMR can only manage it at range. People’s criticism of the magnum’s power is down to it bringing people down very very fast, not because it can control crowds.
>
> 2. If people spawn with it, it’ll only be a minute or two before magnums litter the floors. You’ll probably end up with 40 ammo on the floor at any spawn point in no time.
>
> 3. People wanted the DMR changed because of “spammers” who got lucky. The Magnum is the epitome of spam. I’ve only played the TU playlist a little but I’ve found the Magnum far more preferable to the DMR because you can make it bark like a wild dog in the general direction of someone’s face and kill them most of the time, whereas a DMR goes slower and is less versatile overall. A magnum user is only kept in check by other magnum users.
>
> 4. Reach’s magnum was always for finishing up. You take the shields away with something else and finish the job with the magnum. It was an ideal side arm and augmented other weapons well. Now it’s a fast, powerful DMR and should be favoured by all.
>
> All in all, it’s OP, and makes other weapons a pointless gamble, unless you’re talking a rockets or something.

1. Exactly, but the rate of fire makes it useful. Anything slower would be useless and tedious.

2. There is still an annoyingly high chance of running out of ammo, especially on open maps.

3. The Magnum still takes skill. You miss a shot, and you’re dead.

4. If you want the Vanilla Magnum, go play Vanilla Reach.

This gametype buffs the sandbox a bit to contend with the Magnum as well as bringing back strafing and decreasing the effectiveness of nades.

I do not consider the Magnum OP (although I have a bias in favor of it) and all it does is put the DMR, Magnum, and NR into proper niches (Magnum=Shorter range, DMR=Longer range, NR=between short and long).

The way I see it is that the HCEA Classic playlists will be infested with the 3sk pistol and its random spread and the rest with the terrible compromise of 85% bloom. Neither play as well as no bloom DMRs, the NR is broken and cannot be used as a utility weapon either with zero bloom.

> I’ve been reading nonstop complaints about the Magnum being perceived as “overpowered”. It isn’t, for a multitude of reasons.

As a pick up the Magnum is fine. It kills quick like a Shotgun at longer range.

> 1. The small clip only enables you to kill 1 fully shielded player before reloading, rendering it almost ineffective in a situation with more than 2 enemy players.

With ZB there is no chance of winning against two enemies anyway.

> 2. There is very little ammunition, which means camping is out, because you can only kill 3 or 4 people from a distance before going out to scavenge more ammo from corpses, which puts you in danger of being killed.

I saw camoed campers going for single people crossing their way with triggering the -Yoink- out of the Magnum. I find this too cheap.

> 3. A skilled DMR user can still easily kill a Magnum user at medium to long range; and that’s what the DMR is for. The Magnum is for close to medium range, and that’s where it is mostly superior.

Not necessarily with ZB. I find a DMR loosing to a Magnum the same outcome as with blooming DMRs a pacer to a spammer.

> 4. The power, accuracy, and rate of fire make the Magnum a useful weapon in its own right, finally worth keeping and not trading off for something else.

From my experience it is not just worth keeping but switching with a DMR in the ZB gametypes of the TU Beta.

> Boost the damage of the other weapons (especially the Assault Rifle), remove every Armor Ability except possibly Sprint and Evade, increase movement speed and jump height, couple that with melee bleedthrough and you’ve got yourself a fast-paced, real Halo game. The great thing is, Vanilla Reach is and will always be there if you prefer it.

Remove loadouts and have ZB DMR/AR Sprint starts and I am all fine the way Reach plays.

I think it could use a slight decrease in RoF as currently it kills WAY to fast compared to the rest of the weapons and it would be good. The thing I didnt like about the magnum that will keep with it from being considered for MLG competitve settings is its RIDICULOUS spread. At med-long range the magnum is inconsistent and has a worse spread than the H3 BR and it will end up inducing random battles back into Halo the very opposite of what we were trying to accomplish with this TU.